Michaels 40% Off Coupon?

Decorating By kerri729 Updated 23 Jul 2007 , 6:32pm by sweetbaker

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 5:42pm
post #1 of 36

How often do these come out? I have been looking in our Sunday paper for three weeks now and nothing? Or do they not do them anymore?

35 replies
Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 36

It's my understanding that the Michaels' chain is trying to phase out the coupons! They're currently doing it on trial in several parts of the country. I live in NY and I believe we had 1 last week in our papers. Keep in mind they do accept competitor's coupons: AcMoore, JoAnn's...

adawndria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adawndria Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 36

I've heard they're moving to a newspaper only promotion for the coupons and are getting rid of the coupons that would come in the "junk" mail. They will take Hobby Lobby coupons too, as long as they aren't printed off the web.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 11:23pm
post #4 of 36

My paper had an ad last week for two 50% offs. From the first of the year through the summer months they only do the coupons/ads every two or three weeks. There may be one in next weeks paper.

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 1:43am
post #5 of 36

They're running about every 3 weeks in our newspaper here. We had the double ones last week, but there wasn't one this week. Since I have a huge stash of fabric for sewing that I need to get through, I've been using my JoAnn coupons at Michaels. icon_smile.gif

Bec

cakekrayzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakekrayzie Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 1:49am
post #6 of 36

my paper had an add with two coupons last week one for sunday-tuesday and on for wednesday-saturday both were for 40% off and they have been coming every other week

Sandra80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandra80 Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 1:52am
post #7 of 36

i usually see them every few weeks too but i usually go to ac moore because i can usually find their coupons online and print them out. that way i can drag my husband sister, mom and grandma out with me so i can get 4 things cheap and i'll usually make a few trips alone with a coupon. they roll their eyes at me but hey, every cent counts in this household. if they do mailing lists, put several names on it so you can get multiple coupons. i have my married name, my maiden name, and both of my daughters on various lists for various stores. yes my 7month old needs a discount!!!!

candice1988 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candice1988 Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 2:05am
post #8 of 36

I work at Michaels as a front end supervisor and right now we have the coupon every other week. When it gets closer to xmas...they will be every week. I dont think they have any plan to get rid of them either...we get a lot more sales on weeks we have coupons.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 2:35am
post #9 of 36

The last two coupons that came out I did not find in a pull out add in the paper, I found them as an add in the actual paper (printed in with all of the articles) I don't know if this is just my paper or not but make sure you take a good look b/c I almost missed both of them.

christielee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christielee Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 3:09am
post #10 of 36

I've been looking in our paper for almost two months now on Sunday's, but no Michael's flyers, and I've tried looking in the paper, like Hobby Lobby's add, but couldn't find anything like that, either. Should I call the store? Or is everyone been experiencing this?

candice1988 Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 4:28am
post #11 of 36

Yeah you should probably call them and ask what paper they put it in because they might not have it in the paper you get. Also if you dont get a coupon, you can sign for one at the register and still get the 40%

beemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beemarie Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 4:39am
post #12 of 36
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah you should probably call them and ask what paper they put it in because they might not have it in the paper you get. Also if you dont get a coupon, you can sign for one at the register and still get the 40%

This is great to know, thanks! I also have not been getting a coupon, which I usually get once a week. I remember the same thing happening last year at this time. Then, like you said, it comes back closer to Christmas. I will now do what you said!

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 4:41am
post #13 of 36

I haven't been seeing any coupons in our local paper lately. I even asked the cashier if I could please have a coupon and she told me that I had to get it out of the paper or there was no way for me to have a discount. I wrote to corporate and asked which papers they advertised in for my area and got no reply. I have stopped going to Michael's due to not having coupons. I go to Hobby Lobby where I can get the coupon online. I had rather go to Michael's due to the selection but those coupons save me a lot of money.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 4:43am
post #14 of 36

I'm in Ohio and ours come out every other week and this is the week. Yippie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I pick up a couple Sunday papers at Burger King for .65

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 4:46am
post #15 of 36

i live in a smaller town so i get them sometimes then wont get them for a while. Fresno which is where the closest store is located gets them weekly in there paper

tasty_treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasty_treats Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 4:54am
post #16 of 36

I've noticed that the coupons are coming out every two weeks. If you've used your coupon or didn't get one, you can ask at the till if they have any coupons. All you have to do is sign your name, postal code, and reason you didn't have one. This comes in handy when I have someone else with me to go through the line having "forgot" their coupon, since we only get the one coupon in our household.

patrice2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrice2007 Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 5:07am
post #17 of 36

I have not seen Michael's coupons in soo long. And when I ask at the store the cashier has no answer......and has not offered to override it either. What's going on? icon_cry.gif

2xMiMi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2xMiMi Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 11:22am
post #18 of 36

When I took the classes our instructor said they have one every two weeks until October and then it is every week. There should have been one in this past Sunday's paper and there wasn't one in mine. I wasn't sure if it just got left out however, JoAnn's did have a flyer with a coupon. They are beginning to do this occassionally.

Maybe there will be one in this Sunday's paper - we can always hope.

Linda icon_smile.gif

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 11:33am
post #19 of 36

I took a class yesterday at michaels and the instruction told me that there was one coming out this sunday so wait to buy some of my supplies for next class...i;m in florida so i don't know if that helps anyone else.....

also i get home delivery of my paper and we also have sunday papers on sale all week through the paper machines on the corner.....i went to buy an extra paper to get another coupon and it didn't have a coupon so maybe it only comes through paper home delivery.

christielee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christielee Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 12:37pm
post #20 of 36

Well, I guess I will try to sign at the counter for one. I always just go to Hobby Lobby,since you can print those out, but Michael's really does have a much better selection. Thanks guys,

Christie

candice1988 Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 4:30pm
post #21 of 36

We do take competitor coupons at Michaels as well, so if you brought in a Hobby Lobby or Joann coupon, you could get the 40% that way.

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 4:39pm
post #22 of 36

A few months ago, I tried to use a Hobby Lobby coupon I had gotten out of the newspaper and was told they no longer accept competitor coupons. She said that a different company had taken over Michael's and that was the reason. Maybe its just regional maybe since other stores are still accepting competitor coupons?

harmonhouseofraymond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harmonhouseofraymond Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 4:40pm
post #23 of 36

I don't know if you have an ACMoore near you but if you sign up online they do a lot of one day 50% of coupons and you can always use them at michaels plus ACMOORE also does Moonlight madness sales every so often where you get 25% off total order

Also on a diffrent note on the east coast we have a bargin store called building 19 and they have a book section. Well In this section they buy a lot of one of a kind books and occasional I will score. One time they had the whismical bakehouse in hardcover for $3.00 -

Jenn2110 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2110 Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 4:41pm
post #24 of 36

I live in Houston and we get a Michael's ad in the mail every Wednesday with several other stores. Anyway...got one today and there are two 40% off coupons. One for this Sunday through Saturday and one for the next.

greyhoundlover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greyhoundlover Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 4:50pm
post #25 of 36

I live in Ontario, 2 hours from Toronto. We can go into Michael's and tell them that we don't get the flyer and they give you the 40% off. You just have to sign your name and give them your postal code. I got married a few months ago and bought lots of stuff there, i would go in a few times a week, sometimes even a few times a day and get the 40% off.

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 4:52pm
post #26 of 36

I'm sure it's not the same at every store, but at ours, customers know that they can always ask for, and receive, the coupon discount if there is a coupon offer currently running. They just need to sign for the coupon. (But as staff, we aren't allowed to offer it, or to mention it to customers unless they ask.)

I know the ads are slightly different in Canada, too, but the way ours work lately is that the flyer sale lasts one week, and includes a coupon for that week, and then also includes a "bonus" coupon for the following week. So there's a sale every other week, but a coupon all the time. I think we've only had one or two weeks this year where there was NO coupon. Once we hit September, look for a flyer every week.

I don't know if they will ever successfully phase out the coupon. People look for it, and wait for it. They have started imposing restrictions on what you can use the coupon for, such as Cricut and Martha Stewart products. They tried to ban the use of it on Wilton Course Kits, too, but that idea got dropped in a hurry (what were they thinking!).

All you can do is ask.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 6:14am
post #27 of 36

You may also want to try your local newspaper. I know that the one in my area that covers the largest area does not have the same adds in every single paper they send out.

They have different regions and stores can place an add for each region or only in the highest populated or in the regions they think they will hit their highest target consumers. I didnt' realize this until i was comparing a paper I picked up in my town with a paper my BF's Sister picked up closer to the larger town.

Just something to think about.

Oh and it was the michael's coupons we were looknig for b/c we were going to go shopping, She had a michael's add and I didn't.

cathyfowler662 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyfowler662 Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 6:35am
post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrice2007

I have not seen Michael's coupons in soo long. And when I ask at the store the cashier has no answer......and has not offered to override it either. What's going on? icon_cry.gif

They can only override it when they actually have an ad in the paper. They are SUPPOSED to be in every other week. There should be one in this Sunday's paper.

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 6:43pm
post #29 of 36

Michaels had 2 in today's Sunday paper in Upstate,Ny one for this week and one for next in the same ad. JoAnns and ACMoore also had coupons in todays paper.
Michaels also has Wilton pans on sale for $8 this week icon_smile.gif There are a few I've been watching icon_smile.gif

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 6:57pm
post #30 of 36

Check bridal magazines, as well. I picked up a magazine for some cake photos in it and there was a Michael's insert with a 25% off your entire wedding purchase coupon. They didn't bat an eyelash when I bought non-wedding stuff too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%