Cake Pricing

Decorating By Jnette Updated 2 Sep 2006 , 3:38am by LacieLou76

Jnette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jnette Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 5

Hello Everyone. People have been asking me to make cakes for various weddings and birthdays. I usually don't charge because I don't know how much to charge and usually will tell them to pay for the ingredients and the labor is free. Most of the people want 1/2, 3/4, or full sheets, etc. I know there are excellent cakes on this website. Can anyone give me an idea of how and what to charge for these cakes. Your help will be greatly appreceiated. Thank you in advance.

4 replies
cakeladywalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladywalker Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 5

I would call bakery's in your area & find out the going price for those sizes. And go from there. Also keep in mind your work might be a little more detailed then some bakery's so keep that in mind when your pricing. icon_wink.gif

Sumer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sumer Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 5

You also need to keep in mind that fondant and special decorations will cost more, too. There is no one in my town who will do a fondant cake....I don't understand why, but they bring top dollar here!

Jnette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jnette Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 2:29pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for your help.

LacieLou76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LacieLou76 Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 3:38am
post #5 of 5

Add up your ingredients and at least triple that price. A lady at my first decorating job told me that you should always make enough to pay your self at least $10 an hour so that is what I always go by. I also agree with cakeladywalker. Calling other bakeries in town will give you a good idea where to start. Don't price your self out of business but don't sell your self short either. Cakes are hard work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%