post #1 of 11

Hi Everyone.
Should you sift boxed cake mixes?
Thanks for your help.

10 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 10:38pm
post #2 of 11

I read a post about a staple being found in the cake and it was determined that it may have come out of the boxed mix so they said to sift in case there are any 'surprises' icon_smile.gif

That said... I always forget icon_redface.gif

AbouttheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AbouttheCake Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 10:40pm
post #3 of 11

When you're only mixing up one to three batches at a time, it's really not necessary to sift the mix. If you're mixing many, such as in a 10 or 20 qt. mixer, then yes, it does seem to help alleviate any dry clumps in the mixed batter.

Sometimes if the humidity is high, you can sift as the mix will be more prone to clumping.

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 11

It's probably not necessary, but I thought I'd start just to see what happened! icon_smile.gif

Once I had started sifting the cake mixes, I noticed that the texture of my batters and cakes was just much better! They are easier to mix up, too.

If you try it, you'll probably get into the habit of it. That's what happened with me.

HTH,
--Knox--

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 11:39pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxcop1

It's probably not necessary, but I thought I'd start just to see what happened! icon_smile.gif

Once I had started sifting the cake mixes, I noticed that the texture of my batters and cakes was just much better! They are easier to mix up, too.

If you try it, you'll probably get into the habit of it. That's what happened with me.

HTH,
--Knox--

I never thought about it making the cake taste/texture better.... I guess I better start remembering! I'll do darn near anything to make a cake better icon_smile.gif thanks...

pancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pancake Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 11:51pm
post #6 of 11

Ever since I started sifting, my cakes have turned out better. So now I sift every time,....you never know how long a box has been sitting on the shelf at the grocery store!

CarolinaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaBelle Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 3:09am
post #7 of 11

Thank you for the replies. I think I will start sifting the mixes. I had never really thought about it before today.

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 2:49am
post #8 of 11

Honestly, I'm too lazy to sift, but I do stir up the mix with a whisk before adding ingredients.

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 2:58am
post #9 of 11

OHMYGOSH!!!! I'll quit doing cakes before I sift cake mixes!!!! I don't even sift when I bake from scratch. Maybe it has to do with where you live. I'm in D R Y country. I D O N ' T S I F T !

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 3:01am
post #10 of 11

If a mix is soft and fluffy in the plastic bag I judt use it as is. But if it's got lumps in the top of the bag, where they seem to congregate, I use a wire wisk to break up the lumps. I have been thinking about buying a sifter but for my powdered sugar not cake mixes. If I get one I guess I'll try out the theory of better taste/texture.

jcardel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcardel Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 3:04am
post #11 of 11

I started sifting cake mixes and have been extremely pleased with the results. It does not require as much mixing time and eliminates lumps. The baked cake has a smoother texture. I have actually had people comment on the smoothness of my cakes now that I sift. I also add 1/4 cup of flour to my cake mixes (I sift that, too). It makes the cake more dense and makes it seem more homemade.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%