Help, What Is Wedding Cake Flavor?

Decorating By melissablack Updated 23 Jun 2005 , 3:13pm by SquirrellyCakes

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 22 Jun 2005 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 9

I guess I haven't been to that many weddings... seems like a lot of people have chocolate cake too, I know I did, so I am clueless as to what exactly is wedding cake flavor??

A friend of dh's recommended me to a friend of hers who wants to order a wedding cake, sort of. They already got married and are having a reception sort of deal, something like that anyway... and she was quoted 2.75 a serving somewhere else, so she was looking for something cheaper.

I'm kind of nervous, as this will be my biggest order yet! I am just trying to get all my ducks in a row, so I will have prices and stuff together when she calls me. I've always just charged per size of cake, since I've only made a few cakes to sell, for showers and b-days, never per serving yet so I'm not really sure how to figure out my prices.

Anyways, I am rambling now 'cause I'm excited, lol.

Melissa

8 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 22 Jun 2005 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 9

Whatever you do, do not underprice your cakes... just because you haven't done as many cakes as a bakery has, does not mean that you need to price yours cheaper ... I'd bring along a serving size chart when you meet the bride... she can pick a cake of her choice and then you can determine the sizes of the cakes she'll need to serve the number she's planning on for attending the reception... as far as wedding cake flavor, if you're referring to what flavor of cake to make, the door is wide open .. tradition use to be more towards white cakes but that went out of style a long time ago lol .. pretty much any flavor cakes can be done for wedding cakes .. just remember, the more out there she gets with flavors/fillings, the more the price goes up.. do you have a pricing matrix? if not, I'd advise you to get one .. do not give her a price until you plug all your ingredients needed, cake boards, etc. for the cake into your pricing matrix... I tell all my clients that I will get back to them either the next day or in a couple of days.. I have them give the best telephone number to reach them at and then I call and let them know the final cost ... enough of my rambling! lol

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 22 Jun 2005 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 9

Well, wedding cake flavour varies a lot, depending on where you live. These days pretty well anything goes.
The more traditional go for white cake usually with a hint of almond flavouring. Southerns often have Red Velvet Cakes. Though chocolate is nearly always the Groom's Cake, often one layer of a wedding cake or even all layers will be chocolate. Some folks go for lemon cake as one layer, or carrot cake. Strawberry flavoured or orange cakes are becoming more popular.
Remember to find out all the details, like who is supply the stand or base the cake will sit on, who does set up, who does delivery, all of the details. Wedding cakes are more expensive to produce because of the additional support requirements, they take more time to make and decorate.
Read up on support and dowelling etc. Make sure you can handle the design chosen. If you can, make up a practice cake to get used to the design and the supports and method.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 22 Jun 2005 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 9

Congratulations on your order! I don't think there is any specific flavor for "wedding cake." I would ask the bride what her preference would be on flavors and fillings.

As for prices...I would go at least 2.00 per slice...or you can do it by size and difficulty of decoration. I have done it both ways. Do you know how big the wedding is? Maybe you could ask the bride to show you some pictures of designs she likes. I also offer pictures for brides to look at and then I help her decide on the best design that would fit her budget.

I am sure you will do a great job! thumbs_up.gif
traci

melissablack Posted 22 Jun 2005 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks! I guess she was just referring to the white with almond flavor then.

I never even thought about the cake stand. Should I be the one who rents it or does the customer typically go rent it and bring it to the cakemaker?

Melissaicon_smile.gif

SquirrellyCakes Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 1:50am
post #6 of 9

It varies a lot, depends on how you want to do it and what is available to rent or purchase. If she wants a specific one, she may have to purchase it.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 7:10am
post #7 of 9

Good for you Melissa!! I'm tickled for you!!

melissablack Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 2:22pm
post #8 of 9

Well, the lady called me this morning, and it turns out they just want a sheet cake, but oh well. It is a full sheet so it will still be my biggest order yet. I'm excited about it, and I figure every cake I make is another chance to branch out and get more business! Thanks for your help ladies.

Melissa icon_smile.gif

SquirrellyCakes Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 3:13pm
post #9 of 9

Good for you Melissa, an order is an order. I am sure you will make a fabulous cake!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%