Ace Of Cakes, Not A Fan.............

Lounge By Theav Updated 18 Sep 2006 , 6:46pm by cindycakes2

Theav Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Theav Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 11:35am
post #1 of 199

I watched a couple of episodes and it was interesting but. Yuck, seeing those guys with no gloves and their hands all over something someone is going to eat. The place reminds me of a garage, not a bakery. On one episode they delivered a cake in the back of a dirty vehicle. And they don't even cover them with anything. I think it's kind of gross. Just my opinion.

198 replies
LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 199

I noticed that as well. And their attitudes towards everyone outside the shop are pretty arrogant.

ConnieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieB Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 1:30pm
post #3 of 199

I'm sad......I have Charter cable and they do not have "The Food Network" icon_cry.gif I only get to watch it when I visit my parents house!

usaribbon.gif

Mahzooka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mahzooka Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 199

I wasn't impressed with the cakes - let me see something in buttercream! My biggest pet-peeve with the show is the guy's laugh.... dont' know what it is... just really annoying....

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 1:33pm
post #5 of 199

I personally think that they are all extremely talented and I LOVE that they are unconventional in their cakes. He gets to use his love of decorating and shop skills to create some amazing cakes. The shop looks extremely clean, and just because they don't wear gloves doesn't mean that their hands aren't clean.

Just my thoughts. I am a big fan.
Angie

tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 1:37pm
post #6 of 199

I love the show. I always learn something new when I see it and always get a good laugh, too.
To each his own... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

magentaa23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
magentaa23 Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 1:39pm
post #7 of 199

I have to agree...the cakes were nice, but i can stand the attitudes. I used to work at this hoity toity bakery for 4 years and thats EXACTLY how the owner was...and almost every customer was part of the PITA group so she called it( Pain In The Ass) coz she never wanted to be bothered by them, and she would run in the back when certain people came into her shop... and honestly when you work in a bakery like that realisticaly.. you dont wear gloves, its too hard and they get in the way, you just keep ur hands extra clean by constantly washing them icon_smile.gif

bodaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bodaisy Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 1:40pm
post #8 of 199

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it!!!! I LOVED it!! I worked with the public for a LONG>>> time and his comments were something that I would have loved to have said but, never could have.... so hats off to him....

bo

he makes really cool cakes too!!! It's nice to see such teamwork too!!

tabs8774 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabs8774 Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 1:42pm
post #9 of 199

ditto angela!! i love that show!! i have it tivo'd for every one so i cant possibly miss one. my fave was the black/white wedding cake(!! the way the "dress flowed almost flawlessly( you would never have even seen the mistake if they hadn't showed him fixin it) all over the cake! and the topper!! GORGEOUS!!! he does what i would love to do one day( they are soooo talented though).

LOVE ACE OF CAKES!! GREAT IDEAS!!
i watched him airbrush at a contest b4 and he sprayed yellow b4 the green and it makes such a huge difference in the appearance of "grass" or ground cover. now i do it for all green-green color..

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 1:44pm
post #10 of 199

I like the show, i find it very entertaining. And i think the cakes are very creative.

But i, too, was surprised that no one wore gloves, here in NY you have to wear gloves for any food product that isn't going to be cooked. And the other thing that surprised me is that they dont wear hair nets. I have always thought that was a no no when it came to the food worker. (maybe they are just much stricter in the kitchen i work in)

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 1:47pm
post #11 of 199

I too think this show is great! Could you imagine owning and running a shop like that and having that kind of talent!!??
As with the glove thing, that really does not have anything to do with how clean they are. I mean, if you really think about it, gloves are gonna end up dirtier than hands because you do not consistently wash gloves on your hands as you do your hands! I personally think gloves are dirtier in the long run because they are never washed!

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 1:52pm
post #12 of 199

I like the show and the people. I love their unconventional methods and the end results! I liked on one of the food challenges when Duff did something that wasn't "just so" and how everyone snubbed him with their "I can't believe he did that" attitude. Just because he doesn't do it the same way as everyone else doesn't matter - the end result does! He keeps it fun and interesting. I know if I were suddenly thrown into the spotlight getting thousands of calls and e-mails and people just popping in like that i'd probably get a little bit of a big head and hide sometimes too! You'd never get any work done if you "entertained" all the time. Look at his expression sometimes though - it almost looks like a "I can't believe i'm here" look sometimes! Kudos to Duff and his team! Here's to keeping it fun!

Debbie

redsoxgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redsoxgirl Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 1:57pm
post #13 of 199

i LOVE the show. and i love that it is REAL and not scripted. Everyone Complains about customers. Yes, they were rude but they were also kind.

Also, I don't think I've EVER seen a show on Food Network where the chef wore gloves.

I think they are all amazingly talented and I've already gotten some great ideas.

kansasjill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansasjill Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 1:58pm
post #14 of 199

People, people, people.....do you not realize how petty you sound picking this guy apart? "Not impressed with his cakes" and "his shop looks like a garage"? I'd like to see your kitchen when you're in the middle of a cake, let alone 20 cakes! I think their shop is beautiful. It looks like it should...like an artists studio. And you know, maybe you're not impressed, but if that's the case I'd like to see what DOES impress you. He's obviously got "something" or Food Network wouldn't deem him worthy of his own show. If you have, indeed, worked in retail you should know from experience that people can be a major pain in the ars. And while they should be handled in a professional manor it's also unrealistic to expect a person not to need to blow off a little steam. To that comment I say, "let he who is without fault cast the first stone." Everyone is, of course, entitled to their own opinion, but it kind of sounds like a lot of sour grapes to me. We're artists working in the same medium.... I don't understand why we can't respect each other's differences and be supportive and encouraging of one another as we explore our artform. And that's all I'm sayin'.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 2:00pm
post #15 of 199

I don't get to watch the show, but I don't use gloves to decorate. Is that gross? My hands are always washed and my workstaion sanitized. What do you all do?

Stephanie

kansasjill Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 2:01pm
post #16 of 199

and redsoxgirl you're right....I don't remember seeing any chef on food network wearing gloves. Can someone explain why Duff should have to?

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 2:02pm
post #17 of 199

I would love for the show to be an hour long. I don't think they show enough of what is happening and his talent.

kansasjill Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 2:07pm
post #18 of 199

You know what? The more I think about this the more irritated I get! The day after the show premiered I emailed Duff's bakery in Maryland to say how much I loved the show and imagine my surprise, when within 20 minutes, I had an email back from Duff, PERSONALLY, thanking me for my email and asking me to drop them a line from time to time and let them know how they're doing! Sounds horribly arrogant, right? Geesh! He couldn't have been nicer or more HUMBLE!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 2:10pm
post #19 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasjill

and redsoxgirl you're right....I don't remember seeing any chef on food network wearing gloves. Can someone explain why Duff should have to?

Where i work (this is in NY and not a bakery) we are required to wear gloves when ever working with food that is not going to be cooked, that you need to wear gloves, cause there will be no heat added to the food to kill the germs that you may have tranferred with your bare hands.

That being said, no gloves don't always prevent that, cause you do have many people that think just cause they wear gloves they can go touch whatever and go right back to the food they were working on before. Yep things like this happen all over the place.

Saying that, would i refuse a piece of Duffs cake if offered, hell no i wouldn't, They look like they run a very clean shop and i wouldn't be afraid to eat anything that came out of there, the only thing that would scare me there is the price of the cake. icon_biggrin.gif

dixiechick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dixiechick Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 2:12pm
post #20 of 199

I think the show is great,I love it because the are themselves and the use profanity, I know I use it when I decorate a cake lol. The episode when he spilled the decorating balls all over the floor if you will notice that was the only thing that was only the floor, I think the place looks super clean. And the sign on the door clearly says BY APPOINTMENT ONLY, so I would have an attitude also. For the price he gets for his cakes I would say he can act anyway he wants to. JMO

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 2:17pm
post #21 of 199

I can't wait to see this show...set it up to Tivo this week.....kept forgetting too....I love food network! KansasJill sounds like he is a pretty nice guy!

I cannot imagine trying to decorate wearing gloves (but then again I dont even like them in the winter!!) something about it being tight on my hands....but I wash my hands all the time when I am messing with cakes.

I just love watching talented people, I am still very new so I do very rough work next to most of you talented folks.....but I think there is stuff to learn from watching it being done!

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 2:18pm
post #22 of 199

According to the sanisafe book we used in class this is the rule of thumb for wearing gloves.

1. Change them everytime that you change what you are doing. In other words in a kitchen (restaurant) if you are doing veggies and then handle meat..you change your gloves.

2. And even if you are not changing jobs you should change them every 20 min.

3. But you DON'T have to wear them when your food is going to be "cooked"

I"m like !?!?!?!? I am a small operation...not only can't I afford to be buying all those gloves, all I would be doing is changing my gloves all day long.

So, I've taken it upon myself to this compromise:

I only wear them when I handle the fondant or am decorating a cake.

..when I handle the fondant it keeps my hands free of "colors" and it keeps them from being "sticky" and I can whip them off then a customer walks in.

and, when I decorate a cake, it keeps my hands clean..

I also have a "handwashing" sink in my decorating room so when I go back to decorating my cakes I make a stop there and wash and sanitize my hands before I continue what I was doing.

PS: Haven't caught the show...working too hard...lol!!

tabs8774 Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 2:23pm
post #23 of 199

if you go to his web site they have a contact box so you can email them directly( and if you watched the episode with the granite lady you know that they do check their mail) and voice your opinions to them.
i did and gave them a link to this site( i hope thats ok) explaining that they had alot of fans from here and alot of us watch him regularly. maybe if alot of people email from here then we can get him to post as well--explaining his way of doin things.
NOT THAT HE HAS TO OR SHOULD!!

just my opinion again

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 2:29pm
post #24 of 199

WOw I don't know how you could not be impressed with his cakes! True, I'd love to see a show by the Winbecklers because I would LOVE to see them make one of those life-size statue cakes or learn more about carving, but I thought Duff's cakes were great too! And I think their attitude is light hearted and fun. You gotta remember too that he only hires his friends - so he's not going to be all "snooty professional" when he's around his friends.... if a customer is a jerk or their check bounces, he's gonna act just like you would around your friends about it...... if he acted completely different just b/c the camera was there - the show wouldn't be very "real" or as much fun.

As for the gloves thing - I've said it before and I'll say it again - even if I wanted to, there's no way I could wear gloves to decorate - I have tiny hands and I have NEVER been able to find gloves that really fit - and I don't know too many places that make children's -size latex or vinyl gloves for use w/ food items...... so I wash my hands as often as I can. I will put on some super big gloves sometimes if I'm coloring fondant - but sometimes I'll just put on one glove and use that hand to knead the fondant and once the color is mixed in pretty well, I would take the glove off.

I want to work for him so badly - anyone heard if he has internships in his shop? I think it looks massive and everyone seems to have so much fun - even when tehy were making all those stupid cookies it still felt like a light-hearted, laid-back atmosphere - imagine going to work each day and having fun!

babygreen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babygreen Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 2:29pm
post #25 of 199

I love his show! I only wish it was an hour. I am amazed by the cakes he creates and the closeness of his team.

and I absolutely love his laugh!

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 2:33pm
post #26 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxgirl

i LOVE the show. and i love that it is REAL and not scripted. Everyone Complains about customers. Yes, they were rude but they were also kind.

Also, I don't think I've EVER seen a show on Food Network where the chef wore gloves.

I think they are all amazingly talented and I've already gotten some great ideas.

I have to totally agree. I have also been reading ALL the threads regarding Duff.Not sure what all the hoopla is about. I think for a "young" cake decorator he is doing just fine. I am sure if most of us had the oppertunity to show and make a living off our own talent we would do so and not hesitate.I have seen all these threads being locked because of the degree of opposite opinions. I love CC for the opertunity to explore new things and have the right to your own opinion. Have a feeling this thread will too be soon locked.I respect EVERYONES opinion and I have learned so much from them even if I differ. I have recently learned from my own mistake not to judge anyone or thier work on this site as it only will offend others. With A well known name I don't see why it should be any different. thumbs_up.gif I am not putting down anyone in anymeans. Just thought I would finally put my "opinion".

tabs8774 Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 2:45pm
post #27 of 199

kansasjill----you go girl!!!

if you go to our forum you will read much worse comments about alot less!! he does have a sign posted that clearly says by appointment only!!

i mean COME ON!! he does also have a tv show!! im sure he gets soooo many calls!! imagine if he opened his doors to the public!! he would never be able to even bake the cake let alone decorate it!!

read some of our comments about our customers--then see if anyone really has a reason to complain about the way he does his thing!! IT IS HIS BAKERY!!

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 2:46pm
post #28 of 199

I don't wear gloves ~ neither does Martha Stewart on her show.

Does anyone actually wear them to make food for a church dinner or bake sale? I am a constant hand washer and it's okay with me to know that others are too. What I can't stand are those who lick the tips and/or their fingers. We just all need to be careful, be clean, and keep good reputations.

From what I heard on other posts of this show, I wanted so much to be able to watch it BUT I can't. We have Sky Angel Satellite. They don't have the Food Network. After a post above I guess it's a good thing they don't have it. What I am referring to is the profanity. I don't use it and I certainly don't want to hear it. So now I'm settled and okay about not being able to watch it. thumbs_up.gif

Nyma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nyma Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 2:47pm
post #29 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasjill

You know what? The more I think about this the more irritated I get! The day after the show premiered I emailed Duff's bakery in Maryland to say how much I loved the show and imagine my surprise, when within 20 minutes, I had an email back from Duff, PERSONALLY, thanking me for my email and asking me to drop them a line from time to time and let them know how they're doing! Sounds horribly arrogant, right? Geesh! He couldn't have been nicer or more HUMBLE!

thumbs_up.gif Agree!!! The show is very interesting. Impressed? VERY impressed!!! Lets face it some time it's hard for some people to recognized someone else's talent!! icon_rolleyes.gif

My motto: If I don't have anything nice to say about someone I'm better off not saying anything!! icon_wink.gif

Did I say I looovve Ace of Cakes!!? Cause I do!!! icon_lol.gif

Nyma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nyma Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 2:51pm
post #30 of 199

[quote="Steady2Hands"]I don't wear gloves ~ neither does Martha Stewart on her show.

She doesn't??? icon_surprised.gif Shame on you Martha!!! icon_lol.gif
By The way her kitchen is awfull.... looks like a garage to me!!! icon_lol.gif

I had to joke about it!! shhh.gif Couldn't resist!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%