Making A Boot Sole...

Decorating By sugarlaced Updated 27 Nov 2013 , 4:39am by crumbcake

sugarlaced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlaced Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 11:08am
post #1 of 23

out of gumpaste! Do you think if I made it thick enough, that it could be used in place of a cake board on bottom?? this make sense?

Large cake board...then gumpaste sole...then cake...and so on with cake & icing...covered with fondant.

TIA
SugarLaced

22 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 12:07pm
post #2 of 23

i'm not getting it...are you wanting to make a 3d boot??? icon_confused.gif

sugarlaced Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 12:21pm
post #3 of 23

Yes, sorry I am making a 3D boot!!

sugarlaced Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 12:46pm
post #4 of 23

BUMP...

Doug, if your out there, you would probably know for sure!!!

Anybody? I am going to start working on it this afternoon!

TIA

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 1:02pm
post #5 of 23

gumpaste by itself would NOT be strong enough.

It would still need a cakeboard of some sort under it.

sugarlaced Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 1:29pm
post #6 of 23

Doug,

I want the boot sole to look real, meaning that I want to keep the bottom part in the middle (like a real boot) suspended...does this make sense??

Like maybe cake board out of 3 pieces of wood. One with an angle and all attached with some kind of 45 degree metal something. Like a hinge that is stationary???LOL

Doug Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 1:38pm
post #7 of 23

only need a block for the heal to raise that end up.

then a double or triple up reg. cake boards (however many it take to make the thickness you're after) and
glue them in place.

Hint -- glue each cakeboard down one at a time bending it to the arch shape needed (they will have been precut to the shape of a sole.

sugarlaced Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 1:42pm
post #8 of 23

So, you are saying that you would use the cakeboards and a block of wood for the entire heal and sole? Using nothing edible for the heel and sole? What would I paint wood and cakeboards with? Or would I cover them with something??

Doug Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 1:47pm
post #9 of 23

cover them w/ gumpaste or fondant for most unified look.

after all-- need to hide the edges of the cakeboards and disguise the different textures of materials.

sugarlaced Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 1:50pm
post #10 of 23

Thank you so much!!! I will post a picture when done...again, thanks!

One more question...is there a way to make fondant have a sueded look??

Doug Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 1:53pm
post #11 of 23

you're welcome

looking forward to the pics.

omaida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
omaida Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 1:56pm
post #12 of 23

I think we should nominate DOUG for the YEAR'S BEST,he is so helpful and always willing to help.
Thank you Dough!
Blessings

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 2:23pm
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

only need a block for the heal to raise that end up.

then a double or triple up reg. cake boards (however many it take to make the thickness you're after) and
glue them in place.

Hint -- glue each cakeboard down one at a time bending it to the arch shape needed (they will have been precut to the shape of a sole.

Sorry Doug to come in on this , but i need help with a baby shower cake, please go to the forum and see mine Cakebaker1957
Thanks for anyinfo

sugarlaced Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 8:35pm
post #14 of 23

I finally figured out how to attach a photo here...!
The boots are one of my best achievements so far, although the picture doesn't show as many flaws as there are. I learned a lot (from people on the post) and from making the boots and I made lots of mistakes. Hope you all enjoy, and I am sending instructions to all who want as soon as I can get them written up!!!
Again thanks for all the help...
LL

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 9:16pm
post #15 of 23

I thought you did a fabulous job on these boots. They look very real. How much is cake? I would love the instructions if you could send them to me in a PM.

Thanks,
darkchocolate

roslynscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roslynscakes Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 2:44pm
post #16 of 23

Have you posted the instructions on how you did your 3D boot yet, and how do I find them? I have a boot cake coming up for a wedding and I am sweating bullets.

Roslyn

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 2:55pm
post #17 of 23

I did these. The bottom of the boot was carved out of stryro and then covered in fondant.
LL

sugarlaced Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 2:21am
post #18 of 23

Cowgirl Boots: Here are the instructions!! Enjoy!!

To make the heel and sole, you will need cardboard and a block of wood measuring 3wide x 4 long x 2 tall (I cut and glued two together to make it 2 tall). On the block of wood trace, measure, or freehand the bottom side of the heel on one side of the wood; then freehand the top of the heel onto the top side of the block of wood. Now is the tricky partif you are a good woodworker, this is probably a piece of cake(no pun intended)LOLyou can either cut this out with a jigsaw, or use a chop saw that you can set on angle, then sand to smooth. You could also use Styrofoam or several layers of cardboard glued together.

Trace or draw the sole (part of boot from toe to heel) on a piece of cardboard. (Draw on the cardboard so that the corrugation in the cardboard runs from side to side of the sole. This enables you to bend the cardboard more easily). Glue the back edge of the sole to the edge of the heel and leave to dry. When the glue is dry, bend the cardboard so that it resembles a sole with the foot part touching the counter and the toe slightly off the counter. Then cover entire sole/heel with colored gumpaste (I painted mine). You may need to use something to hold pressure on the sole at this point so that it keeps its shape until it is completely dry. Once the gumpaste is completely dry, drill two ¼ holes into the top of the heel about 2 apart being careful not to drill all the way through, just about ½ deep (these will be used to insert 3/8 dowel rods to keep the boot upright).

Out of parchment paper you need a template 3/8 smaller than the actual size of your sole/heel for the front (foot) part of the boot and for the leg of the boot( an oval around shape not an up and down shape). Another parchment paper template needs to be made tracing the entire foot and heel (this will be a barrier between sole/heel and cake). Apply this template with piping gel. Also, you will need to cut cardboard separators in the shape of the leg of the boot for every 2 layers of cake (2 for each boot). To make this easier and lighter, I used straws for support instead of dowels between the layers.

I used oval pans for my cake, but any size will do. Not sure how much cake you will need, as I made too much. Just eat the leftovers. LOL

For the cake, I cut one piece covering the entire surface of the sole/heel about 1 ½-2 thick. I added extra on top for the top of the foot and ankle area and cut some off at an angle of the toe area. Once I got the foot and ankle area looking right, I started cutting out for the leg. Using your template, cut out approx. 5-2 layers, stack using filling and cardboard, crumbcoat and freeze for awhile. After frozen, you should be able to hammer your dowels through all layers (& cardboard), make any minor adjustments to your cake & hammer dowels into the heel. Crumb coat everything that is left and refrigerate.

Fondant covering:

Once again, use parchment paper to make templates to cut out your fondant. I cut my pieces out as follows: back half of the boot leg, front half of the boot leg, back part of the heel, the rest of the front (toe to ankle).
For the front and back of the boot legs, roll out the fondant, cut to shape, then lay fondant piece on plastic wrap and fold wrap over to encase fondant piece to keep it from drying out while you mark your cut outs and other details. Trace the cut out with a gumpaste tool, toothpick or the like. After tracing, open the plastic and cut out pieces with an Exacto knife. I used a tracing tool used for sewing to make the marks for stitches (I painted over these stitches once the fondant was all placed with a food coloring gel/extract mixture). You must work quickly once you roll out your fondant as it will dry out and start to crack. I controlled this a little by rubbing shortening all around the edges, but it still cracked a little. Roll out the brown pieces and apply to cake. Use the tracing tool to make stitch marks on top of the foot part then paint. Make fondant snakes for the binding on the sides and top of the boots. Also cut out fondant pulls to place on top.

Some of these instructions will depend on the type of boot your may or may not be replicating. I had an actual boot to look at!!

And youre done!!! I truly hope that these instructions are detailed enough for you to make your ownIf you have any questions, please contact me and I will do my best to give you a good answerGood Luck and THANK YOU for all the wonderful praises.

roslynscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roslynscakes Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 4:00pm
post #19 of 23

Thank you so much for taking the time to share these instructions with me, I am anxious to try them and will let you know how it works for me.

Roslyn

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 4:46pm
post #20 of 23

Your instructions are great but how did you get the fondant on the top part to stand up where there isn't any cake?

sugarlaced Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 1:26pm
post #21 of 23

Your welcome for the instructions! As for the fondant on top of the boot, I just wadded some tissue paper and put in the middle and then wrapped the top of the boot with plastic wrap so the fondant would dry as much as possible. icon_smile.gif

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 10 May 2013 , 11:00am
post #22 of 23

Can you PM the instructions on how you did this please, asap. Thank you soooo much and your boots look fantastic..

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 27 Nov 2013 , 4:39am
post #23 of 23

AYour boots turned out great, would you mind PM me the instructions as well? Much appreciated

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%