First Complaint, Need Some Honest Advice! *more Pics Added*

Business By tatania199 Updated 26 Jul 2007 , 9:12am by Alwayzmakincake

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 9:01pm
post #61 of 108

Yeah, she sounds like she doesn't know much about cake! And if that stuff was royal icing then sure it was going to break after being cut! IF it was humid it MAY fall off the cake before being cut but, then it would have to have been sitting out for hours! The deal with the plates...they CUT the cake! NOTHING stays in tacked after being cut, especially a cake!

The only suggestion I have for her is that she ordered this cake, with these colors, and the type of frostings you guys discussed! Your LINES were fine! She didn't have Collette Peters, no... BUT, she knew your skill level! I would only offer her a dummy replica and a 6" cake replica on their anniversary...THAT'S IT!!! NO MONEY BACK! SHE KNEW WHAT SHE WAS GETTING!!

PLEASE LET US KNOW ASAP WHAT YOU DECIDE TO DO WITH THIS??? I know I am concerned!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 9:09pm
post #62 of 108

Being sure to point out that you were not aware she was planning on keeping a dummy tier or you would have created one just for that purpose, since dummy tiers on wedding cakes are not really designed for "saving". (What's she gonna do with it, use it for an end table or a foot stool?) icon_confused.gif

Oh...and since I tend to be a smart-a$$ on things, I would ask her in my best "oh I'm just a silly little blonde thing!" voice: 'Gosh, what were you going to do with a fake wedding cake tier because I've never heard of someone keeping one! what an unusual idea!" (bop head left to right and bat eyelashes a lot!)

I would also point out that icing sticking to the top tier when it is removed, if not removed properly, is somewhat common. All the cake cutters had to do was remove the icing from the bottom of the plate/cardboard and "re-ice" the bottom tier.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 9:11pm
post #63 of 108

I think your cake looks like the sample cake in the second picture. I'd not offere any refund or discount on future cakes unless she can prove that the cake was dry and it was falling apart - Pictures are needed.

nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 10:51pm
post #64 of 108

I suppose the question is what does she want from this now? Has she stated what she's after? Money back, just to complain, etc etc?

Maybe it would be worthwhile to create a small dummy tier and give to her for free, and spackle that stuff on like there's no tomorrow, ie use superglue if necessary, and see if that will placate her. The thing is one negative customer can have a knock on effect, so it would be worth finding out what it is she wants from the situation so that her opinion becomes a positive one rather than the negative one she's giving now.

HTH

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 11:36pm
post #65 of 108

Okay, so in her first complaint email she said the royal icing just fell off throughout the day, now she said the royal icing swirls fell off PEOPLE"S cake.. that means slices, well you already said to her that it won't survive cutting the cake, obviously she doesn't mean that it fell off the intact untouched cake, but that when they cut it and moved tiers that it fell off.. DUH!
Second thing, what is SHE doing around the removal of the tiers? That is usually done in the back kitchen by the STAFF who know usually how to deal with wedding cake seperation, she wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to prise it off gently to keep the icing on the cake.

Personally, she keeps changing her story and the only real complaints she could even try for is if it was dry or not, well you know that answer, and if the piping was straight enough. I thought it was pretty good, so she needs to understand that she wasn't getting that exact photo she gave you, but a copy.. not completely identical. And I hated her colour choice, the brown would have looked much nicer, but she can't blame you for that!
And I would respond to her wanting to keep the dummy tier that she NEVER told you that, so how can you prepare for it?
She is an idiot.

acurt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acurt Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 2:28am
post #66 of 108

Whenever I hear stories like this, I think of some of my distant family relatives. On the rare occasions they come to visit, they usually want to have dinner at one of the local restaurants. What follows is a barrage of complaints to the waiters and eventually the managers about the food not being to their liking. The manager will usually credit all or part of the bill. When we are driving home, I get to listen to them laugh about how they got the discount or a free meal.

In short, there seems to be some people that are not going to be satisified and will try to take advantage of you. And no matter what you say to her, send her, or give to her, she will only tell other people about her 'bad' experience. For some situations, I think giving discounts, refunds, free cakes etc. only encourages people like this to continue being demanding and unrealistic with other vendors.

Your cake looked very professional. It was in the design and colors that she chose. If she is upset, give her Colette's number and tell her to ask for an estimate for a similar cake...... oh and for one where the royal icing decorations won't fall off when cut!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 2:48am
post #67 of 108

acurt, I have an aunt just like your relatives! I've seen her in action and she complains complains complains (in that sweet old lady way) until pretty much they give in to her just to get her to shut up.

And she knows it works. So she keeps it up.

I luv her to death, but I won't go to a restaurant with her. icon_cool.gif

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 2:53am
post #68 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanneK

I wouldn't offer a penny back. Nor would I give a discount. Who wants a person like her for a customer anyway?? Not me.

I agree.

ButtercupMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtercupMama Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 5:43am
post #69 of 108

"I understand that you are very proud of your work. But I am sorry, to me (and others who have seen what I wanted) it looked like a cheap version of the cake I asked for.

Call Kathy/Colette and find out what they charge for this cake. Then forward that to the bride, and remind her that she actually did order a cheap version of the cake she saw!
If she paid $3000, then she has *some* license to be nit-picky. But she did NOT, and....

For $600, (and any amount) that cake is totally incredible. Do not give her a dime; she will not refer you, and she should be too embarrassed to ever order from you again. Seriously, do remind her what others are charging for this caliber work.

You spent a lot of money and many hours creating the exact cake she ordered. It is, after all, food, and is not perfect. None of my cakes are ever perfect, and I never claim them to be. If she were standing in front of the cakes in the photos, she could find flaws in those as well.

Also, you are not a Xerox machine. This is artwork; not an exact copy.

Lastly, her choice of colors (unless she had a 1982 themed wedding, with pieces of Bubble Yum wrapped in tulle as her favors, and bridesmaids in terrycloth tube tops) did not help the cake look upscale and elegant.

Don't hit her with a barage of questions about why she is insane...that will only make you crazy as well! To preserve your good name, and feel like you were fair, sure, offer her $50 off her next party cake. And that should be the end of it! Don't waste any more time/energy on this one. I am so sorry that happened to you. I guess eventually we all get someone like this. Try not to let it get to you!!

(I'd say, she is a cheap version of the bride we ask for.) icon_wink.gif

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 5:59am
post #70 of 108

Your cake is BEAUTIFUL! She is crazy, just ignore her!

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 6:35am
post #71 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtercupMama

Also, you are not a Xerox machine. This is artwork; not an exact copy.

Lastly, her choice of colors (unless she had a 1982 themed wedding, with pieces of Bubble Yum wrapped in tulle as her favors, and bridesmaids in terrycloth tube tops) did not help the cake look upscale and elegant.

You are hilarious!!!!!! ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 6:38am
post #72 of 108

I think what she's upset about is HER choice of colours for the cake made it look cheap & slightly different from the photos ( but change the colours of any cake design & you get different looks - even Kathys,exactly same cake,same decorator but different colours & you get 2 different cakes ) icon_redface.gif
Not sure if I'm making myself clear ?!
It's never going to look the same with different colours !!!

You did a fantastic, beautiful job !! thumbs_up.gif worth every penny & some

or should I say, that's what she SHOULD be upset about - her choice..

phew ! I'm going to shutup now icon_redface.gif

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 6:43am
post #73 of 108

See what happens when your brain's too dry ?? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

heavencole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavencole Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 8:22am
post #74 of 108

is the blue and pink their motif? It looks exactly the same as the white and brown one however, the brown and white one looks much better because the colors looks classic.

BabyC1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyC1985 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 9:51am
post #75 of 108

The cake is sooooooooo lovely, There is nothing wrong with how you did the pattern. She gave you the design so has nothing to moan about.
Its such a lovely cake, great job. Well done

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 12:50pm
post #76 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavencole

is the blue and pink their motif? It looks exactly the same as the white and brown one however, the brown and white one looks much better because the colors looks classic.

I think so too, the cake was well done but the colors don't look nearly as good as the pictures she showed you. It's her fault for picking those colors.

Does she have pictures of the icing falling off the cake BEFORE it was cut? If my cake was falling to pieces before anyone touched it I'd make sure there were. And the cake cutting pictures would show icing decorations laying around the cake too. Maybe her guests were picking at the decorations and making them fall off. icon_lol.gif

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 2:10pm
post #77 of 108

I agree.. The colors are the only thing that could make that cake look cheap, because it was very well put together. Aside from the colors, it was just gorgeous. I, personally, hated the color. No offense to the decorator, since that wasn't your choice.

As far as dryness, she's probably referring to the fondant, which dries a bit after sitting out. She has probably only had buttercream, or store bought frosting on cakes, and doesn't know about what to expect from fondant after it's sat out all day.

Icing sticking under layers, it happens.. It's cake and icing, not bricks and cement. You scrape it off, and go on. It's just going to be eaten.

Just a guess, still ... she got a 3 thousand dollar cake for under a thousand.. She has no room to complain about anything.

You did a fabulous job, you should feel good about it.

I love it!

Holly

valora387 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valora387 Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 4:08am
post #78 of 108

I think your cake was awesome. I think that bride is a loon. You should be proud of that cake, and she should be ashamed of herself.
What an idiot.
dunce.gif

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 7:47pm
post #79 of 108

That is one beautiful cake! to me it looks just perfect.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 2:52pm
post #80 of 108

After reading this very long thread icon_smile.gif, I've got a few things to say.

1. Great Cake
2. DON'T STRESS about it! Trust me, I know how hard it is to not take this stuff personally, but you can't. Yes, it's your work, but it's not you.
3. I would respond with the following.
"I am terribly sorry you were not completely satisified with your cake. I try my best to make every cake a special and memorable piece of art. It is unfortunate that you were so unhappy with the cake. However, at this point I can only offer, alongside with my sincere apologies, a XXX discount on your next cake order.
Once again, I am sorry you were not fully satisfied with your cake. I hope the rest of your evening was a memorable one and wish you the best in your new life with (Groom's name)."
And after you send her this email, leave it at that. If she doesn't respond, great. If she does, come back and we'll help you figure something out.

Okay, some of you may think why apologize so much if it wasn't your fault, but remember customer service goes a long way! I used to work retail for 3 years and trust me I would get people all the time what would request/complain aobut the the strangest things, but at the end of the day it was a business and you need to make the customer feel better so you can make more $$$. Plus, lots of times (as we know) people just want to think they won - and to those people, I say fine, if it's that important to you, you do that. But just because this bride is wrong doesn't mean everyone at her wedding thinks so. There is the chance that someone really liked it and knows the bride is crazy so doesn't pay attention to what she says and orders from you.

Blue0877 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Blue0877 Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 4:02pm
post #81 of 108

You have no reason to feel badly about your cake...it is beautiful!! The colors are what make it look less classy than the others, not the execution or design...and thats all on her bad taste!! I agree that you should send an email with a small discount on a future cake and leave it at that. Customer Service is very important. It may not satisfy her and she may not reccommend you but thats her loss...you are very talented and be proud of what you created!! Some people just want something for nothing...its sad.

tw1nkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tw1nkle Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 8:38am
post #82 of 108

I just showed your photos and the sample photos to my husband (the most objective person I know, lol) and his opinion was that your cake was exactly the same - but the colours (that she chose btw) were the only difference he could pick.

I am sure that it is the color way that made her think those crazy thoughts - most ppl cannot picture what a color will look like when made up.

Anyways back to your problem - since you are trying to start up a business I would apologise and then find out exactly what she is expecting you to do now....

Remember, unhappy ppl tell everyone.. icon_sad.gif

TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 9:39am
post #83 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

After reading this very long thread icon_smile.gif, I've got a few things to say.

1. Great Cake
2. DON'T STRESS about it! Trust me, I know how hard it is to not take this stuff personally, but you can't. Yes, it's your work, but it's not you.
3. I would respond with the following.
"I am terribly sorry you were not completely satisified with your cake. I try my best to make every cake a special and memorable piece of art. It is unfortunate that you were so unhappy with the cake. However, at this point I can only offer, alongside with my sincere apologies, a XXX discount on your next cake order.
Once again, I am sorry you were not fully satisfied with your cake. I hope the rest of your evening was a memorable one and wish you the best in your new life with (Groom's name)."
And after you send her this email, leave it at that. If she doesn't respond, great. If she does, come back and we'll help you figure something out.

Okay, some of you may think why apologize so much if it wasn't your fault, but remember customer service goes a long way! I used to work retail for 3 years and trust me I would get people all the time what would request/complain aobut the the strangest things, but at the end of the day it was a business and you need to make the customer feel better so you can make more $$$. Plus, lots of times (as we know) people just want to think they won - and to those people, I say fine, if it's that important to you, you do that. But just because this bride is wrong doesn't mean everyone at her wedding thinks so. There is the chance that someone really liked it and knows the bride is crazy so doesn't pay attention to what she says and orders from you.

Never say sorry instead say I .apologize... I was told thats an opening for someone to say something negative..other than that very well said

DebbyTCL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyTCL Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 10:21am
post #84 of 108

tatania199 - your cake is gorgous! Dont let her opinion upset you. Your cake is very well done from start to finish. Some people are only happy if they are complaining.

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 10:50am
post #85 of 108

WOW i have never seen a cake like that before and am blown away by your rendition of it well done you it is gorgeous...

In regards to her comment about it not being as decorative as the pics she had given i would only think that could be due to the colour change to what she had as you appear to have just as much decoration as those pics but as we all know colours can be decieving and maybe that is the key.

Keep your chin up and be proud of that cake it was awesome...

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 1:32pm
post #86 of 108

Hi Fellow Canadian,

It sounds to me that the bride is blaming her poor choice of colors on you.The cake you did was a perfect replication of the pics she sent.Maybe she thought the embelishments would be BC instead of royal icing which will always break off! I would only offer a small discount or cake and leave it at that.Obviously anything you do isn't gonna to be enough to make her happy.You fulfilled your end of the contract and the cake was lovely...colors I'm not so sure of but you didn't pick them.As for cost...my mom charges $10.00 a sqaure inch to cover cakes in fondant so the price was right on for that cake!! It sounds like she had this fairytale vision of cutting the cake and feeding it to her groom..Yadda....Yadda...Yadda....Bridezilla!!!

Brandonsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brandonsmommy Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 9:11pm
post #87 of 108

BEAUTIFUL!! Simply Beautiful work.

I agree w/ others that the colors SHE picked(Did I mention SHE was the one that picked them??) did not do the DESIGN justice. The technique, the flowers, design all WONDERFUL !!

She must have been bored at her own reception............to have time to inspect the cake over so well and listen to her guests complain (or she didn't sever enough adult beverages and they were mad, hahaha)

Don't be so hard on yourself. Your cake is WONDERFUL. Wanna see a bad cake, look at my pics hahaha

shifty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shifty Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 8:37pm
post #88 of 108

I think your cake looked utterly marvelous! I am sorry the bride complained I cant see a thing wrong with the cake, its gorgeous you did a magnificent job. thumbs_up.gif

AshleyLuvsCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AshleyLuvsCake Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 8:50pm
post #89 of 108

I found that kathy kakes website and here are a few more of the pictures of that style cake in different colors.

and her website is http://www.kathyskakesllc.com/ so she gets the proper credit icon_smile.gif
LL
LL

authress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
authress Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 3:33pm
post #90 of 108

I won't gon on about what a lovely job you did, but I will throw in two cents about being a dissatisfied bride--you document it! My spouse and I used the same seamstress for my dress alteraltions and her custom suit. Both turned out to be a disaster. Let me assure you that photos accompanied our complaint letter--hard to argue with crooked lapels and and fabric shredded by a poorly done seam. If you're really unhappy, you ask your photographer or a friend to get a pic so that you can deal with it later and not let it ruin you day. If you're mildly disappointed and know that it's your own doing, you b*tch later and hope you can get someting for nothing icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%