Is Luster Dust Edible... Or Not?

Decorating By Melvira Updated 27 May 2013 , 12:07am by chocochipleesy

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 6:36pm
post #31 of 42

When you're that funny, why would you want to take prozac?

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 6:40pm
post #32 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeQueen

In my opinion, we will all eventually glow in the dark. So, why not do it with flair????

And if you eat enough dragees and luster dust, you won't glow... you'll sparkle! icon_wink.gif

BakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeQueen Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 6:44pm
post #33 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeQueen

In my opinion, we will all eventually glow in the dark. So, why not do it with flair????

And if you eat enough dragees and luster dust, you won't glow... you'll sparkle! icon_wink.gif

Well, Melvira, I'm off the chain anyway so I want to pick my color!

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 6:45pm
post #34 of 42

good point!

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 7:20pm
post #35 of 42

You guys are hilarious!!!! I think the problem w/ the U.S. is that soooooooo many people are stupid (sorry but it's true) and sooooo many people are sue-happy. There are all sorts of stupid warning labels on stuff - like don't drink your shampoo or whatever (i don't know if it's there but i wouldn't be surprised). The FDA is a little extreme on some things - but then again, it's better sometimes to be safe than sorry - and at least they "legally" cover their butts by putting a warning on it - then you decide what you want to do with that but you can't sue them for not telling you.

Here's a little story on the stupidity of people doing things you wouldn't even imagine and then trying to sue for someone "not telling them to not do it"....... (warning it's LOOOONG - that's why it's in the "War Stories" section of this site....... also contains some foul language) http://www.customerssuck.com/board/showthread.php?t=166

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 7:40pm
post #36 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by imartsy

You guys are hilarious!!!! I think the problem w/ the U.S. is that soooooooo many people are stupid (sorry but it's true) and sooooo many people are sue-happy.

While I'll grant you that we have our fair share of brainless idiots with no morals and two lawyers, I'd dare say we haven't cornered the market on stupidity. There are dumb@sses no matter where you go. It's just the in the good 'ol US, instead of telling them to shut up, we make them senators and presidents!

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 7:50pm
post #37 of 42

LOL no, i'm sure we're not the only place w/ idiots... although we may have "cornered the market"..... or maybe the other countries just don't tell us about all their idiots..... icon_smile.gif As for the President & Senators part..... nah, I'm talking about people stupider (LOL) than that. (I won't get into politics here but not everyone in politics is stupid...) I'm talking about the idiots out there who get drunk and get in a wreck and want to sue the person who sold them the drinks..... or the people who yell and throw things and threaten physical harm to store clerks who have NO authority to do anything that the "customer" believes they are "entitled to" b/c they are a "customer" even though their demands are completely unreasonable and just plain idiotic..... I'm sure it happens everywhere - but I've heard more stories coming from the U.S. than anywhere else! <sigh> unfortunately.......

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 11:48am
post #38 of 42

Oh wow I cant stop chuckling lol being a canadian married to an american living in canada lol we dont dare get into these discusions at home lmao or we would be shortly divorced lol as all the canadians I know find it funny how americans tend to sue even if they trip over the own shoe laces lmao they would sue the shoe company (sorry lol)

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 1:36pm
post #39 of 42

Well I also think that sometimes we want something so bad that we ignore warnings...No, I seriouly doubt Luster Dust will kill anyone LOL but still there is a reason why it hasn't been FDA approved - anyone can call me a stupid, idiot all they want for not eating the stuff.LOL I don't mind being called a stupid idiot!LOL

My question is for those who put this stuff all over their cakes - have you ever had anyone ask you what that pretty ,sparkly stuff is or have you ever heard anyone exclainm, "oh that is so pretty & it's edible too?"Did you just tell them Luster Dust & leave it at that or do you tell them it's Luster Dust and it's only meant for decorations only or did you tell them it's Luster Dust and it's says not to eat it on the bottle but I'll tell you it's ok so eat away.LOL Just curious.

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 1:40pm
post #40 of 42

Oh ugh I agree people do sue for stupid reasons....It's ridiculous what some folks won't do for money isn't it?

chocochipleesy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocochipleesy Posted 26 May 2013 , 10:48pm
post #41 of 42

AI posted this already in a different area.. Same question so I'll repeat I just did a study on plastic consumption. I'll make this straight down to the point. Not trying to be a know it all just stating facts. NO PLASTIC is edible, safe or 100% digestable. During our study on the pacific garbage patch (look it up if you don't know what that is) we couldn't find one part of the sea that wasn't affected by plastic. Plastic ingested by fish didn't come out. The plastic sits inside the fish slowly breaking down getting more toxic the longer it sits..and that fish is eaten by another fish and that toxic fish breaks down into the bigger fish & so on.. Food chain. The last part of that chain is usually us eating that fish and the toxicity levels of plastic we found in the fish being sold to market for food to humans.. Food considered safe by the fda.. we found were chart topping plastic levels depending on the amount of exposure. What happened next? The fish contaminated were sold to innocent people so that the fish farmers could continue without a lot of hardship and the fish they had that were unsafe for "food" were released into the ocean for other people, animals, and sealift to eat and get sick make sense? It happened and it's allowed. In California we pretty much will eat anything as long as it comes in a cute container. Read labels! Plastic exposure in small amounts isn't that bad sayer FDA says but think of a day you aren't exposed to plastic. The FDA released a statement that bpa was healthy and perfectly safe. All manufactures PAY for THEIR own testing. In The US we are the only area that allow corporations to run us. Here a product has to be proven unsafe to be taken off the FDA safe list and can still be sold with a different label which we make it okay for someone to label a 2lb bag of sugar as fat free and it would be considered acceptable. Everywhere else in this world companies have to prove their product is safe before it can even be sold. After complaints and people demanding their own studies on BPA studies showed BPA to be completly unsafe. The FDA has now put out a statement of it not being that safe.. Basically use at your own risk. Bpa is in everything. That new car smell in your car is bpa, bpa lines the inside of our canned goods, baby bottles..tupperware, cups, plates, food packaging. Then theres phalates which is linked to PVC pipe, register receipts, anything labeled fragrance(yes they use plastic to help stick fragrance to your newborn baby) all the way to rubber duckies we give our children for the bathtub. If you look up health risks for those you'll see a long list of illness, disease and deformities. Yes I said deformities. ADHD, autism, brain damage, reproductive failure, diabetes, cancers, small penis, men more feminine and women more masculine. How many people know somebody that is sterile? My grandma and her friends never in their lifetime till now have heard of somebody being sterile besides an illness they got as a child and even that was a rarity on its own. I get on Facebook and there's miscarriage after miscarriage almost weekly on my page. I have a lot of friends but that is ridiculous! My grandfather was a machinist for NASA. Died of cancers he recieved to fumesThe list goes on. Not all plastics are even recyclable. On the bottom or side of something recyclable there will be the symbol and a number. If its just git the recycling symbol and no number then you need to look at that and sayno any be recycled" and bottles can only be recycled once or twice depending where it goes so those products that say "made with recycled" those can't be recycled. We only recycle about two of those numbers listed on a bottle or container etc.. The rest is shipped off to other countries that use cheap labor to melt down the plastic bags or anything they thing is salvagable. The rest of it is in garbage centers rotting ..leaching into the earth or in the ocean. Ive seen it first hand. The site of it is disgusting. Knowing this I'm wanting to just share what I know so you know the risks adding any kind of plastic to food. Basically making things more "pretty" shouldn't come with the risk of cancer etc.. Have you ever used any kind of glitter dust? It sticks where you put it and if you've ever put it into a mold you will forever find traces of the glitter in there. You have to think of that mold as if its a child's intestine. Tge longer a piece of plastic sits and breaks Down the more toxic it becomes. There's other options. Please limit your plastic exposure. If giving up plastic dust you add to make things more "pretty" and switching to a safer alternative is what you do then already there you are limiting your exposure and not exposing others to health issues later on. The answers are all there. How many cases of autism, ADHD, cancer, diabetes.. Did we have 20 years ago? How many did we have last year vs this year. It's multiplied. I'm telling you as a mother and fellow party decorator/baker there's other options. Limit your plastic exposure.

chocochipleesy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocochipleesy Posted 27 May 2013 , 12:07am
post #42 of 42

AGeez I just read that.. Tried to edit spelling errors but it won't let me.. Sorry about that! I graduated kindergarten I swear haha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%