Help! I Need A Black Velvet Cake

Baking By GsuperG Updated 30 Aug 2006 , 11:04am by playingwithsugar

GsuperG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GsuperG Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 5

Dose anyone have a black velvet cake recipe? The only one I could find dose not sound like it can be decorated. I need on that can be iced in buttercream and decorated with a Bratz theme. It will be for a 10 year olds birthday.

Please Help!

Thanks

4 replies
denise2434 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise2434 Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 5

I've never heard of a black velvet cake. icon_confused.gif I've heard of white and red velvets ....but this will give you a bump.

~Denise

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 3:39am
post #3 of 5

Although I've never made a "black" velvet cake, I'm thinking the recipe wouldn't be that much different than a regular Red Velvet Cake. Since red velvet cake is reminiscient of devils food cake, perhaps you could use a regular red velvet cake recipe, but in lieu of the red food colouring perhaps use a black food paste until the desired colour is achieved - or perhaps use a devils food cake, and add some black food paste - you would possibly be able to achieve the darker colour w/o as much food paste going that route.

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 10:45am
post #4 of 5

I posted a black velvet cake in the recipe section a couple of months ago. It's completely different than the red velvet recipe. You might be able to modify it. Maybe add the nuts to the mix instead of on the top/bottom. I baked it using a 9x13 pan and it came out fine. You have to modify your cooking times & etc. Good luck!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 11:04am
post #5 of 5

Take your favorite white or red velvet cake recipe, and substitute black cocoa for the regular cocoa powder, then add black food coloring as needed. use black coffee instead of the liquid called for. Try using the Americolor Super Black, and you will not need as much coloring as you would with other brands.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%