Using Fondant And Buttercream On A Cake

Decorating By gloria Updated 14 Apr 2005 , 12:55am by boysmomintx

gloria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gloria Posted 7 Jan 2005 , 6:43am
post #1 of 4

Originally I was going to do a cake with an 16" bottom layer and go up to an 8" layer in fondant. After doing a practice cake in the 8" size and having soooooo much trouble lifting the fondant onto the cake, I know I will never be able to do the larger cakes.

The problem is the bride wants a "funky" cake with whimsical daisies on one cake, hearts on another and 1" circles on top of 2" circles (different colors) on another layer. This was going to be no problem if I used fondant but now I'm not.

Can you stick fondant pieces on top of buttercream? They will be mostly on the sides of each cake.

3 replies
impressivecontr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
impressivecontr Posted 7 Jan 2005 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 4

When you use fondant you need buttercream or some other moist covering on your cake for the fondant to stick to. I use buttercream most of the time. Just make sure you attach the fondant pieces while the buttercream is still fresh and not crusted over.

hope this helps!
Debbie

missyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyb Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 12:45am
post #3 of 4

probably too late, but i have read in others posts to use a cake board or flat cookie sheet to help lft the fondant to cover larger cakes. I have not tried it myself yet, but will be decorating my second ever fondant cake for this weekend. Good luck

boysmomintx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boysmomintx Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 12:55am
post #4 of 4

You're smart doing a practice. You will have to look up my wedding cake I did. I did an 18, 14, 10, and 6 layers of buttercream covered with fondant. It took 4 people to help roll it out, hold the cake, lift the fondant, and smooth it. I found the 6 inch cake to be the hardest. I would definitely use a cake board next time. Plus, make sure you have plenty of help! I took my cake in 4 layers and attached 300 roses and 150 or more stephanotis flowers on site. It took me at least 3 hours. Plus, I attached over 100 edible pearls. Whew! Time consuming. I went at 12:00, and the wedding was at 6:00. I was a little worried about time. My picture is in the gallery. It's the Roses and Lace Romance from Wilton...or my take on it.

Also, some people peel the fondant off since they don't like the taste, so the buttercream still leaves the cake tasting great! I can show you a picture I attached pieces of fondant onto buttercream, and you can see what it looks like BUT I definitely think fondant on fondant is much better.

e-mail me if you would like --Jennifer [email protected]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%