Help.....never Done Cookies, Need A Price

Baking By Raindiddy Updated 30 Aug 2006 , 2:52am by dodibug

Raindiddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Raindiddy Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 13

Hey everyone, I have a young lady who is baking 24-36 cookies for her daughter's first birthday and she would like for me to decorate the cookies for her and place them in the bags with ribbons. She wants fondant and royal icing on the cookies. I have to decorate the cookies like her daughter's invitations. I've never done cookies before so I'm not sure of the time in decorating them. How much would you guys charge for something like that??? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

-Raina icon_smile.gif

12 replies
Raindiddy Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 13

bumping myself

Raindiddy Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 13

Anyone...someone...with some type of helpful info.. icon_cry.gif

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 13

i have my cookies in 3 categories small, med and large, starting at $1.50, them $2.00, $2.50 depending on difficulty, etc...

i also charge an extra $0.50 each cookie for wrapping and a little ribbon on each

Raindiddy Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks, that's a start and very helpful! icon_biggrin.gif

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 9:51pm
post #6 of 13

most of my cookies start at $3.00 each, and go up from there. i've never covered them with fondant so i don't know if that would add to the cost. i use the toba garrett's glace recipe. it also depends on just how detailed the cookies are going to be. my pricing also includes the wrapper and ribbon. good luck

lacie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lacie Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 10:13pm
post #7 of 13

take the cost of the supplies you will need multiply that anywhere from 1.5 - 3 (from my research that seems to be the average range) then add in the cost of your time.

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 10:17pm
post #8 of 13

Did she bake them because she thought that it would save her a ton of money if you only did the decorating and bagging?

Well the baking is the easy part.

Can you post the design and size of the cookies she wants, that would help determine the price.
Cookies are a PITA and while I love doing them (see my photos for some that I have done) I would charge an arm and a leg for them. They are labor intensive.

It REALLY depends on the design and how much detail. Post a pic if you can. : )

tazzack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tazzack Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 10:28pm
post #9 of 13

I also need help with cookie prices...I am going to try to post a picture to see what you guys think. She said she needs 50.
LL

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 11:17pm
post #10 of 13

Wow, those are cute! Have you made those before?

If I did those cookies I would charge probably $4 a piece for them and they would be as good as the ones in the pics. I would probably do the pink/blue part in fondant and then pipe and flood the rest.

(using a pasta maker and the same cookie cutter I used to make the cookies for the fondant would make it faster)

Now if you were leaving some of the details out or didn't think you could do them just like the ones in the photo...I would charge less.

But...I think I have seen these cookies before. I think they are made by a company that resells to people use sell cookie bouquets and gift baskets. I don't know what they charge resale or wholesale for them. But I know they won't TASTE as good or be as fresh as ones you can make.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 11:21pm
post #11 of 13

I would charge $3.00-$4.00 each since you aren't baking them.They are SUPER time consuming so I wouldn't do them for any less!!

slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 2:44am
post #12 of 13

I wouldn't agree to decorate them if I wasn't the one baking them!

The cookies could be less than tasty, they could be too thin or too brittle, too lumpy, etc.

If you do a great job decorating them, with good, tasty icing, and they aren't good, it'll reflect on you. It's not a risk I'd be willing to take.

It's a lot of work to decorate the cookies and have them look really good. I personally wouldn't have been comfortable giving a price quote before I had done several batches myself just to get a feel for the amount of time and work involved, and to make sure I could produce a professional-looking product.

If you do decide to do this, just think it over carefully.

Good luck!

Laura.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 2:52am
post #13 of 13

Here's my 2c. I don't agree to do cookies/cakes for money unless I'm 100% sure that I know what I'm doing and can do a good job (family-that's another story! They should be happy with what they get! icon_lol.gif ) Cookie decorating is labor intensive with just royal icing not counting adding the fondant aspect of it-gotta make/buy it, color it, roll it out, yadayadayada. Do you have time to do a test run to see if you'll even want to do this job?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%