Cake Decorating Child's Party

Decorating By notjustcake Updated 29 Jan 2007 , 10:55pm by notjustcake

Pyxxydust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyxxydust Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 11:52am
post #61 of 127

Hey guys! This is the greatest thread! I started doing cake decorating parties for kids earlier this year, but so much time went into preparing for it, that I haven't done any more on that large a scale since then. That was 30 kids - I've done a couple for 2 - 7 kids since then, which were a lot easier. But I have so much fun watching the kids do something that I also enjoy doing, and seeing how proud they are of their creations when they're done! But this idea of decorating cake boxes is fantastic - I never would hve thought of that! And the tootsie roll idea, I'll have to try that out too! Since the kids I've done them for are 5 and under, I've given them things like sprinkles, gummi bears, and those Hershey's kissables - which are a bit expensive but I get them in bulk as Cosco and it's not so bad. Also - I love the mini wedding cake idea for girls and the hamburger cake for boys. Anyway, just thought I'd put my two cents in - thanks for the great and inspiring ideas!

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:05pm
post #62 of 127

gmcakes--

My hubby and I don't have any children so this way, I have substitute children. I have found that the smaller the group the better. THe last one was 8 guests and I had so much fun with them. I could actualy sit and show them extra ideas. We made dolphins and frogs with the tootsie rolls...should have seen their cakes.

It is so heart-warming to be in Wal-mart and hear a child say "Momma, there's the cake lady." I get hugs all the time and Mom's tell me that it's the best party they have had for their child. We handle all the clan-up. Do their dishes if we use any but I mainly bring my own.

I keep the party candies and sprinkles in a big tupperware box, the cake tips I keep in 2 separate tip boxes--tips 3, 16, 32, 104 and 352--I have 20 of each of those. I buy the 100 ct. box of disp. bags with Michael's and HL coupons. I have over 40 couplers in a bag for parties, 20 nails and 6 plstic flower scissors. All stay in a carrying bag ready to go for the nxt party. Any left-over RI flowers I have from cakes, I put in a tupperware bowl and add that to the decorating box.

The night before I make up the disp. bags with couplers--now I include my plastic wrap, thanks to the handy tip about making icing plugs. Adding icing to the bags now goes so much faster. Any leftover batter that I have when I make cakes, gets made into a 6" round cake and it is well-wrapped and frozen for parties, so when I have one booked, usually half are already baked. I do the dame with leftover frosting, I freeze and usually have about half of what I need--so I don't have too much t mak the night before. Frosting is kept in 2-3 five-pounds containers that i bought at HL for 50 cents (clearance).

I have 2 of my friends kids help (one is 14 and the other is 17). The 17 yr old will help with decorating and the 14 yr old is my frosting plugger. Once the bags are passed out, he starts making more plugs that easily pop in the bags when they are empty. Fast--Fast--Fast. I also make 2 extra cakes for thm to decorate when we finish. I do pay them depending on how many kids attend--$10 to $20.

For clean-up, my supplies are put in a 2-gallon ziploc baggie for me to wash at home, plastic tablecloths are used, so they are just rolled up and thrown away, wash any dishes that we have used, wipe tables down, sweep and mop. We are out the door.

Sorry this is sooo long but this routine has developed over the many parties I have done. All by trial and error. Hugs--Pam

Pyxxydust Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:07pm
post #63 of 127

Can you explain what a frosting plug is? Maybe I missed it somewhere - but it sounds like a time saver!

Mac Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:13pm
post #64 of 127

I am sorry but I don't remember whose hd the thread on the frosting plug because this is in mo way my idea, but it is a time-saver.

Take plastic wrap like saran, put a scoop of frosting in it. In the middle but towards one end that will go down into the bag. Bring the 2 edges together and then roll the frosting up into a cylinder plug. Tie off the longer end--the other end will be open. Drop into the decorating bag to the tip. May have to sqeeze abit the first time and "pop" the open end as some of the wrap may cover the tip.

There was a great tutorial on it, I will see if I can find it--it had pics and made so much better sense.

Destini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Destini Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:14pm
post #65 of 127

This is why I love this site!! I'm am obsessed with throwing birthday parties. I start planning 4-5 months in advance. This is a really great idea. Since my oldest son's party is already planned( I don't this would work for my two year old) I'll have to use this idea for one of my friend's kids. Thanks so much starting this thread.

Mac Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:18pm
post #66 of 127

Here's the credit--
newlywedws made a thread tutorial on this but now I can't remember the thread title. I'm having more and more senior moments-- icon_lol.gif

Pyxxydust Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:19pm
post #67 of 127

Me too! And I'm only 33. Ha ha.

Mac Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:21pm
post #68 of 127

Destini--
You can use cupcakes for the 2-yr olds and cookies. THey really love to do those. Give them about 6 cookies or cupcakes or even a combo of both. Some of the cookies I have frosted with RI and I give them the food coloring pens--They love it.

The ice cream cone cupcakes are popular with them too. Have them squeeze the frosting in a Dairy Queen way and add sprinkles. The parents enjoy helping. I have done this with 2-3 yr olds. Very successful and happy parents.

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:31pm
post #69 of 127

I am so glad this party worked out for I hope it does work out for anyone trying this I have gotten so many ideas from everyone I cannot wait for my party I mean my daughter's party LOL you know what I mean

Mac Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:32pm
post #70 of 127

Goodness--I feel like I'm taking over this thread--I'm sorry but I keep remembering things.

The cakes are the children's take-home gifts but I did have one mother that also wanted goodie bags. She provided the goodie bag and I put in 2 disposable bags, 2 plastic couplers, 2-5 RI flowers (depends on size), a little baggie (2x3) of sprinkles. She then added other things like plastic rings that could be put on cupcakes. I think she paid about $5.00 per child extra.

Pyxxydust Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:33pm
post #71 of 127

No way! That is so cool! What a great idea, with the sprinkles, plastic rings, etc.! You sure do know how to throw a party! Can I come to your next one? I can pretend to be 5 again!

notjustcake Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:34pm
post #72 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destini

This is why I love this site!! I'm am obsessed with throwing birthday parties. I start planning 4-5 months in advance. This is a really great idea. Since my oldest son's party is already planned( I don't this would work for my two year old) I'll have to use this idea for one of my friend's kids. Thanks so much starting this thread.

HELLO you think you're the only one obsessed?!!! I am the one who started this thread because I was thinking of my Daughter turning 8 in JANUARY!!! I also start planning parties months in advance!!!!!LOL Call me crazy

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 5:48am
post #73 of 127

OMG I can't believe I didn't find this thread sooner. I was actually looking for ideas for my DD main cake. She wants a spooky castle. Her B-Day is Oct. 28th. We had already planned on kids doing there own cakes probably around March when I started cake classes. So finding this gave me a few more tips like twist ties on the bags. I was wondering about the little boxes. Where do you get them???? Next ? how many kids with out having parent help should we invite. I will have at least 1 SIL and my teenage son to help. But I don't know how many parents will want to stay. So is 7 or 8 8yr olds to many to supervise. I had 14 at costume party with 1 DS, 1 SIL, 1 teenage son last yr. But we played games told scary stories and had a pinata(spell check) And did I mention my 3 girls I babysit were there and they are ADHD. Had my hands full with them. Put party went pretty smooth. But we weren't decorating cakes. So you cake party people what is a good number of kids??? Great thread thanks for starting it. And any spooky castle ideas are greatly appreciated icon_biggrin.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 5:57am
post #74 of 127

Don't forget to stock up on different gummie candies, teddy grahams, animal crackers!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 6:02am
post #75 of 127

Ya I thought of those to but wasn't sure about them. And I have left over royal flowers that didn't make it on my course 2 final cake that they can use. My DD loves candy corn and kisses so those will make it to the table as well. Thanks for your help thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Destini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Destini Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 10:04am
post #76 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac

Destini--
You can use cupcakes for the 2-yr olds and cookies. THey really love to do those. Give them about 6 cookies or cupcakes or even a combo of both. Some of the cookies I have frosted with RI and I give them the food coloring pens--They love it.

The ice cream cone cupcakes are popular with them too. Have them squeeze the frosting in a Dairy Queen way and add sprinkles. The parents enjoy helping. I have done this with 2-3 yr olds. Very successful and happy parents.

Mac--
That is a great idea for my 2 year old. He can write on the cookies instead of my walls. Thanks so much for all your help. I writing all of this down so I don't forget anyting. Sounds like so much fun can't wait to try!!!!

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 11:46am
post #77 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaychristensen

OMG I can't believe I didn't find this thread sooner. I was actually looking for ideas for my DD main cake. She wants a spooky castle. Her B-Day is Oct. 28th. We had already planned on kids doing there own cakes probably around March when I started cake classes. So finding this gave me a few more tips like twist ties on the bags. I was wondering about the little boxes. Where do you get them???? Next ? how many kids with out having parent help should we invite. I will have at least 1 SIL and my teenage son to help. But I don't know how many parents will want to stay. So is 7 or 8 8yr olds to many to supervise. I had 14 at costume party with 1 DS, 1 SIL, 1 teenage son last yr. But we played games told scary stories and had a pinata(spell check) And did I mention my 3 girls I babysit were there and they are ADHD. Had my hands full with them. Put party went pretty smooth. But we weren't decorating cakes. So you cake party people what is a good number of kids??? Great thread thanks for starting it. And any spooky castle ideas are greatly appreciated icon_biggrin.gif

I pick up my cake boxes at a decorating supply shop in Austin, TX. (For this size cake they are well under $1 @!) If you don't have a local supplier, do an online search for "bakery boxes", you'll be surprised by how many suppliers there are...you can even find them on eBay sometimes. I had 6 children at the party I just did, and my Mom came over and helped (she decorated cakes years ago, and had knowledge enough to help those who WANTED help).

No parents stayed...considered it free babysitting for a few hours, the girls really let loose with them not around, and had a great time! Keep in mind the younger children might actually want the parents to stay, and each could help their own child!

I too, feel like I am taking over your thread, Cakedecor! Thanks so much for starting it. I learned so much before the party, and I hope I can be of some help now that it's over! thumbs_up.gif

Mac Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 12:28pm
post #78 of 127

Our Wal-mart has donut boxes that are 8X8 (4 donuts fit in them)I have been able to purchase them in the past for 50 cents each. Last time I asked if I could purchase them, the bakery said no.
SO now, If I need 8 boxes, I buy 8 donuts, put them in a bag and get 8 boxes. I take the donuts to our office for coffee break and I keep the boxes for the party.

The other option is to ask some bakeries in your area, some will sell them.

notjustcake Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 10:34pm
post #79 of 127

I am so glad for this thread!!!
gmcakes I don't feel like anyone has taken over I had a few ideas of my own but I got better tips from all CC members that have added tips like the twist tie for the bags!!!!!! I am like another member posted concerned about wild children running around with icing bags all over my house and everyone going insane and me not being able to control it so when my DD gets ready to make her list I know which kids try to scratch off. My DD always negociates anyways. I also hate it that so many parents see bday parties as free babysitting stay at the party if you think your child is not very good at self control. I'm Mexican and we are just not used to that, may be is the culture or just how I was raised. Will it be rude to ask parents to stay with their child?? Otherwise limiting my self to small amount of kids would be better for me.

Mac Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 10:54pm
post #80 of 127

cakedecor--
How old are the children? We tell the Mothers that if the children are a certain age, that one parent has to stay and assist with their child. Usually no problem with that request. In fact, it's the opposite at most party's I do. Too many parents/grandparents standing around watching and helping. The classroom I do the parties in, is not very large by the time you get 2 tables, 12-15 kid's, 1 decorator, 2 assistants, my bags and toates plus all the regular things in a kitchen.

notjustcake Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 11:03pm
post #81 of 127

Mac-

The children are 8 I guess they are old enough to listen!!!! My mother says she will come to visit from Dallas she wants to be a part of it so she is an extra adult I also have my husband but we have a 2 year old and we will have a 4 month old so my husband is pretty much stuck with them and since he is excited about this party as much as I am we might get the little ones a sitter. How many kids do you think is too many since sounds like you have done them before?

tlnewman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlnewman Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 11:09pm
post #82 of 127

I am doing this for my dd 10th birthday next weekend and we are doing mini stand up bears for boys and girls!! icon_biggrin.gif

Pyxxydust Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 11:24pm
post #83 of 127

I love that idea about the bears! I'd love to do that also! Just curious - do you have more than one mini bear pan? How many does one cake mix make? I may invest in buying the extra mini bear pans, but I'm not sure how many to get - depends how many I can get out of each cake mix.

tlnewman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlnewman Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 11:30pm
post #84 of 127

Well I just have gotten 1 off of ebay so I know I am gonna have to get more..... I got this one for .99 icon_biggrin.gif I wish I could get more for that price!!
I have the big bear pan and that is what I have to make for her party!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 11:33pm
post #85 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyxxydust

I love that idea about the bears! I'd love to do that also! Just curious - do you have more than one mini bear pan? How many does one cake mix make? I may invest in buying the extra mini bear pans, but I'm not sure how many to get - depends how many I can get out of each cake mix.

At Wal-Mart you can buy a set of little bear pans, they are not stand up, they are laying on their backs, but they are 3-D. There are either 3 or 4 of them in the set for like $3 and they are probably equivalent to 2 cupcakes. I think that would work pretty well! You could even buy a couple sets (so you can bake a bunch at once) and then let each child take home one pan as part of their 'gift package' so to speak. That would really be cute, that way the next time their mommy or daddy makes a cake they can slip a little batter in that bear and remember all the fun they had w/you!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Pyxxydust Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 11:35pm
post #86 of 127

Oh my gosh - that's great about the other bear pans - I think I've seen them and will probably be better for the younger kids, which is mostly what I do anyway. Someone else had a great idea to send home a cake decorating "gift bag" with the decorating bags, a couple tips and a couple, and I think that pan would be perfect with that. Thanks so much...now I'm really excited to one of these parties...

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 12:04am
post #87 of 127

I agree... I am DYING to do this since reading this thread. I bought the mini pantastic cake pans that make a little tiered cake that's three inches tall and the tiers are 1.75", 2.25", and 3" across I believe. I am DYING for someone I know to get married so I can throw a shower and have the women all decorate a little mini-wedding cake instead of playing all the games you usually end up playing at a shower. I think that would be almost as fun as watching the kids decorate. (Oh my little man is in trouble when he gets older... I will be doing all this stuff all the time!) icon_lol.gif

Mac Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 12:37am
post #88 of 127

cakedecor--
The ideal size is 8-10, but no more than 12. I have done several with 15 older kids--over 10 yrs., but they get really loud. The most I have had a party with is 30 4 yr. olds. I never had control of that one. I think it was more of a get-together of the rich and famous here in our town and they had no baby-sitters. The kids got 3 cupcakes each to decorate.

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 12:48am
post #89 of 127

my MIL has many grandchildren, and by her Hannukah party every year, there is entertainment for everyone, but when the adults play our game, the kids are always running around. Last year, a baked about 300 cookies and made a triple batch of RI, which i colored in 10 colors, and put into little squeeze bottles. i spread it over the table while the kids were playing a game, by the time they were finished, i was chasing the adults away!! there was enough for everyone- kids and adults- to decorate about 6-8 (some more, some less, of course) but it was a major success and i will be repeating it. another year, my MIL had baked cookies, much less, and the kids stuck on decorations using marshmallow fluff, much messier cause it's stickier (RI washes off with plain water).

I was planning on making my daughter a cookie decorating birthday party. i planned on buying cotton aprons at Rag Shop on sale, and using iron-ons to personalize them as a take-home gift along with the cookies, that's probably enough-- one less thing to do, no goody bag. so thanks all for the logistical help!! (it's in january, but i've been planning it since the day after her last bd, and i have two other kids, i'm always planning 3 birthdays!!)

bayougrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bayougrl Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 1:36am
post #90 of 127

cakedecor:

About the pinata in Jan. You can now get them with pull strings. No bats or sticks involved. Each child pulls a string and when the right string is pulled the treats fall.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%