Cake Decorating Child's Party

Decorating By notjustcake Updated 29 Jan 2007 , 10:55pm by notjustcake

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 127

I just had a great idea my DD wants one of these paint your pottery parties but i just thought since I love cake decorating and so does she I could have her own cake decorating party!!! Has anyone tried this? I know someone else out there knows everytime I think I have invented something somebody else thought of it before me. Any ideas besides all piping bags with different colors icing, small cakes, some sprinkles (I am not too crazy for those!!) All assortment of tips, cake themed invitations, lots of decorations, party on Friday evening some pizza, milk and they don't get to eat their cake till they go home to share with Mom and Dad, cause I want my daughter to have her own cake and I want to make it!!! Hope I don't get in trouble for this forum it is cake related. Any ideas welcome

126 replies
jackie64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie64 Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 127

I think thats a great idea! A bunch of little girls decorating their own cakes to take home . I dont know if you thought of this but I would get those cake slice boxes for them to take their cake home in . Hope it turns out great. icon_smile.gif

Sweetpeeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeeps Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 127

They did something like this at my little boy's preschool once. The were learning about different kind of jobs. A baker was the job for that day. So, a cake decorater came in and let them play around with cupcakes. They of course loved it. I think it's a great idea for a girls party. You might try the cupcakes though instead of the cakes, if you wanted something smaller and easier to transport. But, the cakes would keep them entertained longer! icon_lol.gif

geehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
geehouse Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 127

I have actaully done this before at my office. I was responsible for doing monthly "birthday" parties so one month, I made cupcakes and had different bags of icing with different colors, tips, sprinkles, spatulas, etc. for everyone to decorate their own cupcake. These were executive men and ladies and everyone had a blast. They LOVED it. It was fun, you should do that.

Sweetpeeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeeps Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 6:28pm
post #5 of 127

geehouse that is so funny. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall for that one.

mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 6:35pm
post #6 of 127

I'm not sure how old your daughter is, but a great idea would be to use the mini Wondermold pan and let the girls make mini doll cakes. Then they can "design" their dresses, etc...You can buy a 4-pack of the mini bodies at Michael's.

I really want to do this for my daughter's 4th birthday party in October (princess theme). But most of the guests are going to be boys and at 4, they'd be thrilled just frosting cupcakes. I'm going to save the mini doll cake idea until she's a bit older.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 6:44pm
post #7 of 127

I did this for my son's b-day party when he was 3.......he had a party with his then 7 yr. old step sister whos bday was the day before........she's only with us on weekends so it was a combined party and I gave them each a 6' cake.........they absolutely had a blast!!! I saw a thread on here one time about someone on CC that actually has a business doing this.........she was renting out a kitchen for someone I think and brought in all the cupcakes and fixings and kids showed up and paid like 5-10 bucks each and decorated their own little cakes.......evidentally it's a pretty lucrative business!

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 6:44pm
post #8 of 127

Great minds think alike! I am in the process of planning a party just like this for my soon to be 9 y/o daughter!

Our party will be 9-9-06 in the afternoon, and I have debated with myself over-and-over again how long to make the party and have decided on 3 hrs (about all the patience and mess I can handle!)

I will send the invitations out in the next 24 hrs, and I have requested the girls rsvp by Wednesday before the party to select their cake flavors, vanilla, chocolate or strawberry.

When the children (only 6 girls including my DD) arive, we are planning on starting out by decorating the cake boxes for the children to take their cakes home in. I found some cake related stickers, and made special labels for the boxes that say "This cake is an original creation by: _______", we will also have plenty of markers on hand. This will give a chance for all of the girls to arrive and we can all start decorating at the same time.

I am making aprons and chefs hats for each of the girls to wear at the party, and take home as part of their party favor.

The girls will be decorating 4" round, double layer cakes, and I will decorate my DD's birthday cake during the party, as a way to demo some of the techniques. My girl does not feel comfortable working with icing bags, as she always seems to get icing all over her hands when it squeezes out the back. Therefore, we have order 24 icing syringe sets from eBay, that will be filled and ready to go. (The extras will be in the party favor bags.) I have purchased cupcake picks and am going to make fondant flowers for the girls to place on the cakes. I also bought some small paint containers (available at Hobby Lobby), and filled them with individual portions of sprinkles to use.

After the girls have decorated their cakes, we are going to take pictures of the proud chefs with their creations before boxing them to take home. The girls will then have a chance to wash up, while I clear the decorating area and set up snacks. (We have decided on a cold menu with fruit, chips, dips and sandwiches that can be pulled out and set up quickly!) After snack time we will serve the cake I have decorated during the party, then we will open presents.

Since we have had a hard time deciding on the amount of time to allow for the party, if there is any time leftover, we will have free time for play after we have done all of our activities.

Sorry this is SO long...if I have forgotten anything please make suggestions! This is my first venture into this type of party and I am a little nervous about the mess I may be getting myself into! LOL!!

daisygurlvb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisygurlvb Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 6:49pm
post #9 of 127

I think it's a good idea. And I've seen another user on here do something similar. I'm not sure her handle, but she had made the girls create Bratz Beds, with lip headboards. I'm assuming the girl was a little older, possibly 11 or so. And I know she said it was a slumber party. Do a search for them, they came out adorable. Be sure to post pics of all the cakes! Good Luck.

ShabbyChic_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 6:59pm
post #10 of 127

I did something like that for my daughter's B-day, but I made cookies with royal icing frosting and the got the edible food markers, they had a blast!! It was so much fun that even the grwon ups at the party wanted to participate and they loved the cookies. I used the cookie cutter in different shaped and added a lollipo stick to it and when the kids were done with the decorating they put them in their own treat bsket!

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 6:59pm
post #11 of 127

I did a Cooking Party when my daughter was 4. The invitations looked like recipe cards and read something like.... One cup friendship, one Cup laughter.... a sprinkle of fun blah blah blah icon_biggrin.gif Mix together for Emma's 4th Bday.
I set up stations with pizza making, fruit salad table ( they cut fruit with plastic knives and mixed in a bowl) and cake decorating table. It was a blast. I made each kid an apron ( made from plastic table cloths) and chef's hat ( posterboard and tissue paper) and their goody bags were cookie cutters, measuring tools and of course candy. It was fun!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 6:59pm
post #12 of 127

Man... I wish gmcakes was my mommy. So... jealous... icon_wink.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 7:00pm
post #13 of 127

sounds like a wonderful party in store for your DD........one suggestion might be to ask the parents (on the invite) to send an old shirt with the girls...........that way if they stain up their clothes with colored icing the parents won't get upset........or have them make some aprons out of trash bags before they decorate their boxes LOL

daisygurlvb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisygurlvb Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 7:01pm
post #14 of 127

OKay I found the link of the woman who HAS done this party before. the forum link is http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-35774-bratz.html+bed and if you look under her pictures you can see the cakes they made. Again, Good Luck.

Wish I could come! hehe

alip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alip Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 7:12pm
post #15 of 127

What a great idea! I'm sure the girls will have a blast!

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 7:16pm
post #16 of 127

I think you've got a great idea! How Fun!!!!!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 7:18pm
post #17 of 127

I did that with candy when my oldest turned 4. The mothers were there with their kids so they were able to help them paint the molds and stuff.
Kids love decorating stuff so any kind of party like that will be a hit.

mlynnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlynnb Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 7:28pm
post #18 of 127

I've done this same thing before 2 different occasions. The first time we did 4in round cakes and in advance made royal icing drop flowers in all different colors to put on their cakes. The second time, the little sis of the previous girl wanted the same idea, but we did it with the mini wondermolds and doll picks to make doll cakes. Did the same thing...drop flowers and cake sparkles to decorate with after they were iced. The girls had a blast and we sent the cakes home in individual cake boxes. (I had made a large version of the doll cake to actually eat at the party)

notjustcake Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 7:40pm
post #19 of 127

I am writing notes as I read everyone's got such good ideas I knew I wasn't the only one, money it's usually a problem for my DD's birthday because it is on January 29 talk about thinking ahead!!! I had thought about stating on the invitation old t shirt or apron reccomended but who wants to wear an old t shirt to a party!!!! Most of my DD's friends can read well the second they read APRON they would want to wear one. HL sells them for like $2 I love the recipe invitation idea I gotta look that up online. The RSVP idea it's good too there is always one picky girl. Well the money is the problem right after Christmas we are brokey broke so I plan to use all my Wilton's stuuf I have so many couplers and tips and colors, bags and always buy seasonal sprinkles 75% off that I have all minds of sprinkles I own 6" pans, I think that would be more cake like, and I do want to take pictures of the girls with their own cakes and all the girls with all the cakes and I AM GOING CRAZY HERE!!!!!!!! I am so excited and I know my daughter would love this idea since she is so into cake decorating. She is turning 8 in January I know it seems a little far away but not really!!! At least that's the only party I don't have to worry about spending any money on I keep all cakes stuff in the pantry ALL THE TIME. I will decorate the table real pretty and yes boys will be invited!!!! Aflet I get my pictures taken I will send each little girl or buy a mini scrap book ( I have friend who loves scrapbooking) with the thank you note. I will post pictures and I will design my own cake for DD almost forgot light foods it's a good idea too thank you all

notjustcake Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 7:42pm
post #20 of 127

Royal Icing Flowers made in advance GOOD ONE!!!!!

momlovestocook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momlovestocook Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 8:22pm
post #21 of 127

I was going to post about my dd's party but I see someone already linked to the post about it. My 6 year old wants to do the same thing for her party when she turns 7!
When I let the kids use the icing bags, I put twist ties on them so the icing doesn't come out the top on them(learned from them making big messes LOL).

Sandra

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 8:25pm
post #22 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedecor

I am writing notes as I read everyone's got such good ideas I knew I wasn't the only one, money it's usually a problem for my DD's birthday because it is on January 29 talk about thinking ahead!!!

... Most of my DD's friends can read well the second they read APRON they would want to wear one. HL sells them for like $2...

...Aflet I get my pictures taken I will send each little girl or buy a mini scrap book ( I have friend who loves scrapbooking) with the thank you note...

We have been planning our party since about March! We always plan ahead, it's the only way I can bring their fantasies to life (my kids have complete control over their parties, from food, to activities and decor!)

As for the aprons...if you plan on purchasing them, keep in mind HL's 40% off coupons. If you live close enough you can really put them to good use for this idea! They run the internet coupon pretty much every other week. You could even go a few times a week, or shop with a friend who could use the coupon for you! It could add up to big $avings on your aprons! Since you are planning ahead so well, you can really take advantage of them!

We will also be sending our pictures out in the thank you cards. I had not thought of the mini-scrapbook idea though...hmmmm?

I'm so glad you started this thread...I am getting lots more ideas!

thanks!
glenda icon_wink.gif

Melvira Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 8:33pm
post #23 of 127

Hey, cakedecor... I found something that might be cute... they sell these little pans that make either round or square tiers in 1.5", 2", and 3" inches, and you stack them to make mini wedding cakes. I am sure you already know this, but I thought that would be so cool for this idea because they would be rather small, and what little girl doesn't LOVE to play 'wedding' and dream of her own some day! Just another take on the idea. You know... that would be a killer idea for a bridal shower!! Hey... fun!

Oh, and they bake several at a time like cupcakes in each pan, so it's not like you have to bake one little mini layer at a time! hahahah! 82 hours later... icon_lol.gif

notjustcake Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 8:43pm
post #24 of 127

Melvira I did not know that!!! Idea,ideas,ideas!!!!!!!!!! Wedding cakes!!!!!!YES!!!!!!!I do plan to either buy or decorate my DD a cake theme apron!!! I didn't think about twist ties I was thinking those clips for the chips but the twist ties are a better idea to keep icing from over flowing to the top which by the way my 7 year old DD does not do. I will also wear one of my DH's chef coats from work and he will wear one too he is all into it and we can make it seem like they are in a class and we will show them techniques like how to make leaves and hair and stars simple stuff. I am not so good myself to be honest but my DD thinks I am so good I can do anything!!!

notjustcake Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 8:47pm
post #25 of 127

If the girls do mini wedding cakes what could boys do? Isn't there a pan of like 6 molds for like balls or should they stick to a regular cake. Also for anyone looking for ideas I was searching on Ebay and found a seller who is auctioning 25 disposable plastic aprons for kids for almost nothing they sell them for like teachers and such I bet Lakeshore or Mardel sells them too!!!!

Melvira Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 8:52pm
post #26 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedecor

If the girls do mini wedding cakes what could boys do? Isn't there a pan of like 6 molds for like balls or should they stick to a regular cake.

Oh, I didn't realize this was a mixed gender party! Well, I would do the wedding cakes for the girls and make something like the mini sports ball for the boys. They could decorate it like their favorite sport. Or, just do mini rounds for the boys. They have those in 4" too! Or do a 6" single layer. Anything bigger might just be too much! I think that would be terribly fun! Oh, I can't wait to do this stuff for my baby. (almost 15 mos) and hopefully someday a baby sister! icon_wink.gif

Melvira Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 8:58pm
post #27 of 127

BTW... http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/mini.aspx?T=1&SubCatId=985

Scroll down to the third row and that's where those mini pans start. They come in round, square, and heart. They also have sets where you get all three sizes of round and square for $25, not bad!!

And you know, the girls could stack theirs like wedding cakes, the boys could put theirs side by side to build different shaped cakes, or stack them and decorate them in a more macho fashion!

ckdcr8r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckdcr8r Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 9:04pm
post #28 of 127

I also did this for my niece's party in May. I used the new Wilton silicone flower mini cakes pan that is lime green. I made up icing bags with twist ties and each color had a tip 3 and tip 16. I showed them the star technique and the outlining and let them have at it. They had a blast!

SLK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLK Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 9:09pm
post #29 of 127

My dd has wanted to do this for a long time....but that's not the funny part...my sil really wants me to do a cake decorating party for her and all the girls in the family...I'm glad to see this worked with adults as well.

Thanks all for the great ideas.

notjustcake Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 9:13pm
post #30 of 127

Melvira poor you I have a 7 year old and my DS is almost 2 and my 2nd girl is due next month. But she will be 7 before you know it I know this for a fact children can be so much fun. O asked my DD her opion on this idea and I haven't even given any details and she said "YES 100%YES!!!!!" I am so excited

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%