How To Keep Icing Dots From "peaking"

Decorating By MosMom Updated 9 May 2014 , 2:06pm by -K8memphis

MosMom Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 16

I hate when I make dots or beads and when I pull the piping back up they "peak". Is it my icing consistency that causes this? I've included a picture of my son's birthday cake where I did several dots. I had some that turned out good but most got that point. I waited until the icing dried a bit and then I smooshed them down (after the picture was taken). They looked much better but I imagine there is a better technique.
LL

15 replies
indydebi Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 16

Don't pull the piping bag "up". I do a little "swirl" before lifting the bag up. Even still, you may have to go back with a cornstarch or powdered sugar dipped finger and flatten them. I think no matter how well you are with the bag-lifting, a finger-flattened-dot always looks better.

I started doing this each and everytime after one CC'er said that dots should not look like chocolate chips (i.e. "pointy").

MosMom Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 8:44pm
post #3 of 16

Yeah, I am doing that but I still get them. It is almost like my icing doesn't want to let go even when I do the swirl. Practice makes somewhat perfect I'm sure. icon_wink.gif

Glad to know I'm not the only one who flattens them with a finger. Thanks.

miriel Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 16

It also helps to stop squeezing the bag before you lift the tip off. But in case you still get any, finger dipped in powdered sugar should flatten it icon_smile.gif

BrandisBaked Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 16

Don't lift the bag up, but off to one side. I swirl the tip and pull to the side, never upwards.

Sometimes, if I want my dots flatter, I will dip my finger in powdered suger and press them down a bit.

JoAnnB Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 5:42am
post #6 of 16

I had good luck piping the dots from the side, almost like a shell. The next dot hides the peak.

Also, a damp paint brush works great to flatten the dots.

MillyCakes Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 5:50am
post #7 of 16

I use a wet paint brush - works every time!

Verina Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 7:40am
post #8 of 16

I also use a wet paint brush. Works for me too...

bambuf Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 7:51am
post #9 of 16

Mosmom-

Just wanted to say that if pointy dots are your biggest problem in cake decorating, then you are set! Your Pac Man cake looks amazing!

ellerchick Posted 5 May 2014 , 10:54pm
post #10 of 16

thanks everyone, this helps me too. 

MBalaska Posted 5 May 2014 , 11:14pm
post #11 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellerchick 

thanks everyone, this helps me too. 

ellerchick this is a perfect example how using the 'search' button helps finds solutions to problems.  This thread is 8 years old, and yet it's stillalive.  That's so cool!

-K8memphis Posted 6 May 2014 , 12:21am
post #12 of 16

you can get royal icing the right consistency and it will fall back in on itself perfectly ---it's a magestic piping control trip--i love to do that--even piping onto the side of a cake--i'm a veteran piper--this is seriously fun/fulfilling to do-- 

Lfredden Posted 6 May 2014 , 12:44am
post #13 of 16

A

Original message sent by -K8memphis

you can get royal icing the right consistency and it will fall back in on itself perfectly ---it's a magestic piping control trip--i love to do that--even piping onto the side of a cake--i'm a veteran piper--this is [I]seriously[/I] fun/fulfilling to do-- 

That's exactly right. With royal icing, If it's peaking it's too thick, thin it out a little till it works right. If I remember correctly, while it's in the bowl, run a knife through the icing. It should take 10 seconds for the line to not be visible anymore, that's the right consistency.

-K8memphis Posted 6 May 2014 , 1:17am
post #14 of 16

yes and i'll add gum arabic to the royal and it will pipe out kinda shiny--it's crazy fun in one mighty squeeze of the bag you get a beautiful pearl--it's powerful

MBalaska Posted 6 May 2014 , 2:18am
post #15 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

yes and i'll add gum arabic to the royal and it will pipe out kinda shiny--it's crazy fun in one mighty squeeze of the bag you get a beautiful pearl--it's powerful

K8 Just when I thought I'd purchased everything that I needed already. Now I want gum arabic also.

This sounds so cool I'm going to have to try it, especially on cookie decorating.

-K8memphis Posted 9 May 2014 , 2:06pm
post #16 of 16

it's a lotta fun, mb-- it's 'passive brilliance' hahahaha

it's too easy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%