Does Anybody Have This Problem W/fbct???

Decorating By aundron Updated 30 Aug 2006 , 5:38pm by aundron

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 24

After I take my FBCT out and put it on the cake, as the FBCT is thawing out, the outline bleeds into the cake!!!! What can I do to stop this?? Do I need to use something different for the outline???

23 replies
reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 24

Not that I knoe from experience, but Color Flow is supposed to stop icing from doing that. Sorry can't help you any more than that.

Tkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tkeys Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 11:49pm
post #3 of 24

If you coat the back of your FBCT with the same color icing as the icing on your cake, it should help. Some people do say that the meringue powder in the icing also helps prevent that . . . I've never had a problem with colors bleeding, so i can't help you there. Perhaps your icing consistency is a bit too thin?

blindambition Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blindambition Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 24

I have the same problem when I do my FBCTs. I use meringue powder in my icing and it's usually pretty thick. Sorry I can't help, but I'd like to know a solution too! icon_smile.gif

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 11:59pm
post #5 of 24

I heard that piping gel helps stop the bleeding.

aundron Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 1:46pm
post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeys

If you coat the back of your FBCT with the same color icing as the icing on your cake, it should help. Some people do say that the meringue powder in the icing also helps prevent that . . . I've never had a problem with colors bleeding, so i can't help you there. Perhaps your icing consistency is a bit too thin?

I don't have a problem with the actual colors of the FBCT; it's the outline that's bleeding!! I use the Wilton Black that's in a tube for my outlines!! Should I continue using this and make sure I cover the entire outline with the icing that I'm using on the cake (which I didn't do) or should I use buttercream with piping gel to outline my FBCT??

It's a Hello Kitty FBCT, so I think I need the black outline!!!

HELP!!!!!! I'm doing these for a baby shower next Saturday and I need Help!!! icon_cry.gif

Kelrak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelrak Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 1:59pm
post #7 of 24

I think I read somewhere that the Wilton bleeds, but the Americolor black doesn't. Did you use a chocolate or brown icing and add black coloring?

I'm not very experienced with icing decorations yet, but I did buy the Americolor black recently and it makes a really nice color without using a ton of black coloring. With Wilton, I usually ended up with gray, no matter how much black I used, even if I started with chocolate or fudge icing.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 2:15pm
post #8 of 24

You problem might be the Wilton tube icing. I use the icing in the tutorial and color it black with Americolor and haven't had this problem

aundron Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 3:45pm
post #9 of 24

I've been using the Wilton Black in the tube for my outlines!!

So, I just need to color regular buttercream with the Americolor black and pipe it???

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 4:08pm
post #10 of 24

Bearing in mind that I've only done one FBCT so far and it turned out ok (for being a first time lol) when I was reading post after post about how to do FBCT and tips and suggestions, I THINK I read somewhere not to use the tubes or canned icing for FBCT at all- that would include the outlining.

Is this the first FBCT you've done? And if not, have others turned out the same way ? Thinking to look for patterns- other than that I cant hel[- write down exactly what you use, temp, how you use it etc. Maybe if you describe your entire process in detail from start to finish- I know that helped me with something else so that the FBCT experts here can then go ok I see you did such and such here and that is probably why.

Good luck

aundron Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 4:39pm
post #11 of 24

It was my first FBCT; I was practicing for a shower I have to do next week!!!

The outline was okay at first, until it started to defrost, that's when it started to bleed. Other than that, the FBCT was fine. Just don't want this to happen next week.

The only thing I didn't do was to cover the outline of the FBCT with the white buttercream, I only covered the inside of the FBCT

It's the Hello Kitty picture in my photos

froggyjustjumpin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froggyjustjumpin Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 7:14pm
post #12 of 24

I do FBCT all the time and have never had a problem with bleeding. I always make my black ahead of time using the Wilton gel. I do the outline and give the frosting time to crust before I fill in the other colors. The crusting stops it from bleeding. I can not buy Americolor locally, I just bought my first off the internet and have not had a chance to use it. There are some cakes with FBCT's in my photos.

aundron Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 7:34pm
post #13 of 24

Hey Froggy, I just looked at your photos and you FBCT's are great!!! I was reading how you did them, but can you go into more detail about it!!!

froggyjustjumpin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froggyjustjumpin Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 9:16pm
post #14 of 24

To start off I find the picture that I am going to use and size it on the computer and print it out. I have a 1/4 inch sheet of plywood that I use to do my FBCT on. It is light weight and strong. I took a pencil and traced around the different size pans that I use on the board. I find the size that the cake is going to be and put my design in the area. Trim the design to fit so you can see your lines. I coved the design paper with plastic wrap and tape it down tight. I like this better than the waxed paper I can see the smaller designs better. I go ahead and do the picture like anyother FBCTm once I have the design finished then I take my background color and flood the area around the picture and continue out to the lines around that fit that size cake. You cake use your palet spatula to kind of smooth out the background color. I pop it into the freezer and let it freeze. I go ahead and frost the sides of my cake and do a rough smouth on them. When the transfer is frozen than I take a sharp knife and cut the tape and flip the transfer on the cake using the board to stablize it. Set the board aside and center the transfer on the cake. Romove the plastic wrap and walk away. I let the transfer thaw, the condensation dry, and the frosting will crust. This part takes a little bit of time so don't get in a hurry. Once it has crusted I use a Viva paper towel to smooth out the top and blend the top into the sides. Don't use the paper towel over a colored area and then over a solid area or you will transfer the design. Now you can finish the cake any way you would like.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions please ask and I'll do what I can to answer.

aundron Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 9:25pm
post #15 of 24

Thanks Froggy for you help!!!

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 1:31pm
post #16 of 24

aundron - I know this DOESN'T help, but I use the wilton tube icing for my FBCTs all the time. I haven't bought a new tube for a while, so perhaps they have changed their recipe?

Good luck!

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 1:41pm
post #17 of 24

I have only ever made 1 FBCT and didn't have a bleeding problem with my black outline. I just used the same buttercream I was using for the transfer and died it black (using Americolor). Hope that helps some. I would also suggest, if possible, to start with chocolate buttercream and then dye it black.

Also, I'm not an expert by any means and a lot of people here have LOTS more experience than me, but I don't understand how putting a layer of icing on the back of the FBCT keeps the outline from bleeding into the colored areas of the actual transfer. Can someone explain?

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 1:42pm
post #18 of 24

I use Americolor Super Black to make black icing for my FBCTs. I also outline the image in whatever color I am icing my cake in and then put a layer of that color over the entire back of it (makes it stronger and also helps to not bleed). I've only done a few but I didn't have any problems with bleeding at all - and they were black & red on white. (see my photos)

aundron Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 1:42pm
post #19 of 24

Thanks Ellen for you help!!! I think my problem is that I'm not covering the outline along with the rest of the FBCT!! I really want these cakes to be perfect, but the bleeding thing is so frustrating!!! I'm to the point now that I might just do a stacked cake with Hello Kitty figurines!!!

aundron Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 3:55pm
post #20 of 24

hcromwell:

What's funny is that the Wilton black didn't bleed into the other part of the transfer, the outer part of the FBCT bled into the cake part that was iced!!!

madicakes Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 4:07pm
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by aundron

hcromwell:

What's funny is that the Wilton black didn't bleed into the other part of the transfer, the outer part of the FBCT bled into the cake part that was iced!!!

Ooohhhh, I see icon_smile.gif That explains that. I was thinking that the outline was bleeding into the transfer. THAT explains how the icing on the back might help icon_redface.gif

Edited to add: When I did my one lonely transfer I did the entire top of the cake as a transfer and not just the image. That might help too, if you're doing a smaller size cake. If it's a big one that might not be as easy, I'm sure. HTH

aundron Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 4:39pm
post #22 of 24

hcromwell:

Yeah, I'm doing mini cakes as centerpieces for a baby shower!!! I haven't tried to make the whole top of the cake a FBCT, someone mentioned it earlier in this thread, I might have to practice it to see how it comes out!!! I'm scared to do it though, that's why I've been thinking about just doing a stacked cake with Hello Kitty figurines!!!

madicakes Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 5:22pm
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by aundron

hcromwell:

Yeah, I'm doing mini cakes as centerpieces for a baby shower!!! I haven't tried to make the whole top of the cake a FBCT, someone mentioned it earlier in this thread, I might have to practice it to see how it comes out!!! I'm scared to do it though, that's why I've been thinking about just doing a stacked cake with Hello Kitty figurines!!!

If they're little cakes I would really suggest just doing the entire top as a transfer. I just traced the cake pan onto my paper around the image I was transfering, did the transfer as normal and then piped the icing that I would have used to ice the top around the transfer out to the drawn circle. Then I put a light layer of the icing all over the back of the transfer. I liked it like this because it kept the transfer even with the top of the cake as opposed to it sitting slightly higher. It's my Bratz cake in my portfolio if you want to take a look at it. It was a 6" round I believe. Just try one for practice, you'll do great! It's super easy too.

aundron Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 5:38pm
post #24 of 24

That's the size of the cakes that I'm doing; 6x2!! I will be practicing this method this weekend, I'm in a wedding on Saturday, so my weekend is kind of hectic, but I will practice it because the shower is NEXT weekend!!! Thanks for your help!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%