Why Does Fondant Hate Me?!?

Decorating By Memo211 Updated 7 Jul 2007 , 5:02pm by jmt1714

Memo211 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Memo211 Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 4

HI, so first I am very new to cake docrating and CC (this is my first post). I'm really sorry about this being soo long, but i've got lots of questions.
But I having been attempting fondant cakes for a month now - I've now made three! The first cake I made was a 2 tiered cake, with black, white and red fondant for a friend's birthday,amazingly it came out the best so far. The second was a graduation cap, all black fondant with buttercream tassle. The black fondant was sooooo sticky, i added almost 3 more cups of powdered sugar and could still barely get it off the counter. the most recent cake i finished last night. It was a design from wilton (here's the link http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/patriotic/wrappedinglory.cfm#). Mine didnt turn out quite as well icon_sad.gif in fact, i had some issues, and was hoping for some ideas on how to correct them before my next attempt at a book cake. Any help is soo appreciated, as i know you all have far more experience than I do.
1. when do you color the fondant? While making the glucose/glyercin mix or when added the liquid to teh powdered sugar or when kneading just before use? (i usually try to make the fondant the 1 to 2 nights before i use it. When i made the black - for the grad cap - i added black with teh glucose and it turned kinda gray. for the wilton cake last night, i kneaded the red and blue food coloring in before use, but it seems like i never get teh correct color i am intending for - no matter the amount of color added).
2. the red fondant last night was soo brittle. I added water, then some crisco, but it kept being very crumbly. I even tried to mircowave it for a minute, it worked but then dried out again before i got it to teh cake. (I went from super sticky to super dry!! ugh! icon_cry.gif ) ideas why this happened or how to fix it? also the white and red fondant were from teh same batch, and teh white was just fine - i;m thinking teh food coloring did something to it)??
3. on teh wilton cake design: there was suuposed to be the wrapped red/white piece. Mine never stuck together (stuck to the counter, not the its neighboring piece of fondant icon_mad.gif ) I again tried water between teh pieces, but i kinda think the red being so dry had some play in this. has anyone does anything similar that works better than what wilton suggested? (i tried several ways of making the wrap - putting teh red on teh white and also lining teh two pieces next to each other and roling over tehm neither worked for me)
Please, any tips or ideas for how i can make fondant not hate me! I've never taken a class, but taught myself, so maybe I'm doing something wrong. HELP!! icon_sad.gif
thanks, and sorry its sooo long!
Aimee.

3 replies
misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 3:09pm
post #2 of 4

I'm not sure what recipie you are using but try Michelle Foster's fondant recipie found in the recipies on CC. I have had the best luck with it. I add my color after it is all together. Black is hard to achieve w/o it being all sticky or kind of gray instead of black. I quit making my black, I buy it now. As far as your red not sticking, I don't know. Water has always worked for me. I guess you could use gum paste glue or royal icing. Don't know if I was any help but those are my opinions.

hollyhobby74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyhobby74 Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 4

I have never attempted to make fondant, just don't have time.
I use Satin Ice and Chocopan, both have really great texture, are very easy to work with, and take color very well. If it ever gets sticky i just sprinkle a little powder sugar, problem solved.
I suggest you get some to play with and see if you like it, and you probably will never make another batch.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyhobby74

I have never attempted to make fondant, just don't have time.
I use Satin Ice and Chocopan, both have really great texture, are very easy to work with, and take color very well. If it ever gets sticky i just sprinkle a little powder sugar, problem solved.
I suggest you get some to play with and see if you like it, and you probably will never make another batch.

not sure what recipes you've looked at, but it takes about 15 minutes from start to finish for me. i use either Toba Garret's recipe or Nicolas Lodge's recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%