Turn Fondant Into Gum Paste?

Decorating By hanksmart Updated 30 Apr 2012 , 11:37pm by carmijok

hanksmart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hanksmart Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 4:31am
post #1 of 20

Is it possible to turn fondant into gum paste? I need to strengthen my fondant to create a topper out of gum paste. Is this possible? Specifically, i am using chocolate fondant. Thanks!

First post... am loving reading all the help and discussions!

19 replies
doreen1092 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doreen1092 Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 4:39am
post #2 of 20

i would like to know as well... sorry no help

joang Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joang Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 12:15pm
post #3 of 20

thumbs_up.gif

In the books I have from england they put either gum trag......dont know how to spell it or tylo powder in sugarpaste to make modeling paste. I dont knoe if that is the same as gum paste????

Joan

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 12:33pm
post #4 of 20

Squirrelly Cakes (a member on here) told us about being able to use one packet of Polident powder to a baseball-sized piece of fondant. When you mix the two, they end up just like gumpaste! icon_smile.gif

I've never tried it.

hanksmart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hanksmart Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 1:40pm
post #5 of 20

Do you have an amount per pound of gum trag?

coconut299 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coconut299 Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 1:47pm
post #6 of 20

Also my first post, but I've lurked for a while. icon_redface.gif

I have made gumpaste by adding Tylose powder to prepared fondant. The proportion I used was 1 T. tylose to 1 lb. of fondant. But if it's very humid, you may need a little more.

The easiest way I've found to do this is to sprinkle the work surface with the Tylose and knead the fondant over it until the powder is mixed in well. Hope this helps!

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 1:54pm
post #7 of 20

Toba Garrett gave us a formula for "quick gumpaste" made using 1 pound of commercially prepared fondant and 1 teaspoon of Tylose kneaded together with 1/2 teaspoon of shortening. Nicholas Lodge said that this did work, but the resulting gumpaste is not quite as strong as regular gumpaste. Adding more tylose will help it to dry faster, but you will need to work quickly icon_lol.gif

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 1:56pm
post #8 of 20

I've added the powdered fixodent to fondant and it works really well!! Add about 1 tsp of powdered fixodent to a wad of fondant/MMF about the size of a baseball. It has to be the powdered fixodent. Here are a few cakes where I've used "fixed MMF"

The spout and handle
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=309683

Tink's wings
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=24342

The body and extremities
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=25490

punkyf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkyf Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 8:21pm
post #9 of 20

This may be a silly question, but do you mean the fixodent that you put on false teeth and could this be eaten after putting it in the MMF?

KittisKakes Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 2:08am
post #10 of 20

Yes, that's the fixodent I've used - powdered fixodent for dentures. It goes in your mouth, so it's definitely not toxic. But if you're trying to get a piece to harden, just like gumpaste, then that decoration usually is not meant to be eaten.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 2:16am
post #11 of 20

I'm a fan of using commercial fondant w/ tylose powder kneaded in. I live in a high humidity area and this dries faster/harder than regular gumpaste!

punkyf Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 11:31am
post #12 of 20

Could you use gumtex instead of tylose in your MMF to make it stiffer. I'm trying to make the bill of a ball cap and I don't have tylose but have some gumtex.

KittisKakes Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 12:51pm
post #13 of 20

Yes, gumtex will also work.

punkyf Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 1:20pm
post #14 of 20

Thank you for getting back so quickly. I haven't done a lot with gumpaste type things and I'm going to try a ball cap for my grandsons 1st BD.

Noura80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Noura80 Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 5:36am
post #15 of 20

so what's the ratio exactly? is it 1 tablespoon of tylose to 1 lb of fondant or is it 1 teaspoon of tylose to 1 lb of fondant?

sing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sing Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 6:43am
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconut299

Also my first post, but I've lurked for a while. icon_redface.gif

I have made gumpaste by adding Tylose powder to prepared fondant. The proportion I used was 1 T. tylose to 1 lb. of fondant. But if it's very humid, you may need a little more.

The easiest way I've found to do this is to sprinkle the work surface with the Tylose and knead the fondant over it until the powder is mixed in well. Hope this helps!

That's what I do too thumbs_up.gif

Shan1781 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shan1781 Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 9:52am
post #17 of 20

I make mine with 500g fondant, 1/2 teaspoon tylose, 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar and 1/4 teaspoon egg white, I knead all together and leave over night.... it is beautiful to work with icon_smile.gif (you will need to convert the amounts to US measurements)

ChiWOWa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChiWOWa Posted 30 Apr 2012 , 10:52pm
post #18 of 20

Hi all,
I would like to try making gumpaste flowers for my daughter for her Mothers day cake and would like to try this recipe too.
Do you need to "rest" this before using or can you start rolling and forming as soon as the Tylose is mixed in?

Thanks in advance!
Cheers
Terry

cowie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowie Posted 30 Apr 2012 , 11:20pm
post #19 of 20

I just add the amount of tylose powder that I need. Depends on the weather too. I even add a small amount sometimes to fondant so it's not too soft, but not enough to make it gumpaste.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 30 Apr 2012 , 11:37pm
post #20 of 20

When you add tylose to fondant it does NOT make gum paste. It makes the fondant stiffer and it will dry faster, but true gum paste can be rolled paper thin without tearing and dries so much faster than the fondant/tylose mix. I used to work for a bakery that did this and all their bows and figures and flowers were thicker and heavier than those made with real gum paste.

It wasn't until I left and made my first bow that I used Wilton's pre-made gumpaste and I have never looked back.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%