Yikes! Black Fondant?

Decorating By Torte Updated 10 Jul 2007 , 4:34pm by christielee

Torte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torte Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 3:28am
post #1 of 34

I've been avoiding this as long as possible and now I have to do it. How do you tint fondant black without it becoming too soft? I tried it before and it was a mess. I've seen some great work with it on here, and so I know it can be done.

33 replies
MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 3:34am
post #2 of 34

I buy fondant that is already black - satin ice is my first choice. There black sometimes is softer than their other colors. i have also started with chocolate fondant as a base - then added the black! This seems to work as well.

Katie9812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie9812 Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 3:35am
post #3 of 34

bump

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 3:35am
post #4 of 34

I recently colored several pounds of white Satin Ice black using Americolor's Super Black, and it was just fine. If it's too soft, knead in some powdered sugar or cornstarch. icon_smile.gif

~ Sherri

CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 3:36am
post #5 of 34

I have recently found Satin Ice pre-colored fondant. It comes in quite a few colors, black included, which was the first one I tried because of exactly the problem you are talking about. IT'S GREAT! I just finished using some about 1/2 hour ago. It is a good texture, nice solid, rich black and doesn't seem to fade at all. I comes in a 2 lb. tub and I get it from CK Products.
HTH
-Lori

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 3:36am
post #6 of 34

Good post! I'm sure your going to get several ideas from everyone here.

I had to do a pretty large cake (for me anyway - 12" x 3" bottom layer with separate topper part) and I chickened out and bought the black SatinIce fondant. This particular cake is in the "Naughty" gallery.

What type of fondant are you going to use? I've had pretty good luck with SatinIce and Pettinice as far as consistency of fondant and coloring.

Good Luck!!

ctorno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctorno Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 3:37am
post #7 of 34

I have ordered Satin Ice Black fondant. It is perfect in color texture and oh so yummy. I was making my own mmf until I tasted Satin ice...now I do not even bother since this is soooo delicious. I have noticed people eating all the fondant when I use it rather than peeling it off. It has that mmf flavor.

I order it from In to the Oven....they get it to you quick.

http://www.intotheoven.com/p759/2-lb.-Black-Fondant-by-Satin-Ice/product_info.html

Just an option.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 3:40am
post #8 of 34

I also get Black Satin Ice fondant. It's the easiest way to get black fondant icon_smile.gif

Elizabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth19 Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 3:42am
post #9 of 34

Satin Ice (the less I have to color the better!) icon_biggrin.gif

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 3:44am
post #10 of 34

I use chocolate fondant and color it black.

CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 3:47am
post #11 of 34

I am so glad to see that so many of you also use pre-made and pre-colored fondant. I always hid in shame a little thinking I was taking the easy way out by not making my own, but the amount of time it saves is worth every penny! Not to mention the consistant quality of Satin Ice and Pettinice! I will now hold my head up and not feel less of a baker!! icon_wink.gif
-Lori

lilie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilie Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 3:50am
post #12 of 34

If you need to color fondant black, get the fondant as red as possible and then add the black food coloring. I learned this the hard way.
I never used Satin Ice. How is it?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 3:58am
post #13 of 34

If I had to use alot of black I'd probably get the pre-tinted kind.... I find the chocolate fondant VERY stiff and a pain to mix black into it! I did that this weekend and I stopped while it was "black enough" but technically really dark dark brown because I couldn't stand kneading it any longer!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 3:03pm
post #14 of 34

I use Satin Ice black and red all the time, but find that even the pre-colored is very soft. I knead some tylose powder into the entire batch and it makes a WORLD of difference. Much easier to work with. Far less stretching and tearing.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 3:43pm
post #15 of 34

To repeat what has already been said, Satin Ice black, it is easy to work with and smells so good. I used a light film of Crisco on my rolling mat, no powdered sugar or cornstarch, so no white dust on the black fondant when I was finished.

BlueDevil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueDevil Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 3:57pm
post #16 of 34
jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 12:37am
post #17 of 34

Depending on what you need it for, soft liquorice is a good substitute - you can knead it then roll out flat or shape it ( I use darrell leas ) - no colouring involved !! icon_biggrin.gif

Torte Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 3:19am
post #18 of 34

Oh great ideas, thanks everybody. Only one problem......I can't find that here in Canada. I need this in one week and I could order it but I may not get it in time now. Any idea where I can find it over here? We are so limited all the time with what we can us.

I use "Dawn" brand fondant.

ctotrino thanks for the into the oven link I'll use it for my cake next month that will need more black fondant.

Torte Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 3:20am
post #19 of 34

What is tylose powder dianeLM? Icing sugar?

Torte Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 5:09pm
post #20 of 34

Bump!

Torte Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 3:35pm
post #21 of 34

Bump please?

christielee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christielee Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 4:22pm
post #22 of 34

I think it's like gumpaste powder, but I'm not certain. I have had the black fondant problem a lot also. I think I'm gonna order some of the black, too.

Torte Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 5:53pm
post #23 of 34

Thanks cristielee I hope we have some luck with this.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 8:09pm
post #24 of 34

This is tylose powder: http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=619070

Here's the description from Nick Lodge's site:
"Specially formulated to resist humidity, improved freeze and thaw stability, low bacteria count gives long shelf like, emulsifies fat to prevent oxidation, flower and showpieces dry remarkably fast"

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 9:04pm
post #25 of 34

Tylose powder is used when you are making gumpaste/sugarpaste. It can also be added into fondant to give it a "stiffer" consistency. As Diane mentioned, the tylose powder helps with the fondant stretching or tearing.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 9:26pm
post #26 of 34

Satin Ice, Black, Red and Green!

Torte Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 1:01pm
post #27 of 34

WOW tiptop57 amazing work. Just beautiful.

So still no suggestions on where to get black fndnt in Canada?

teasom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teasom Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 1:11pm
post #28 of 34

Has anybody tried adding the black color to the liquid part of the fondant before kneading in the powdered sugar? I wonder if that works as well as I've heard. I've never tried it myself.

Torte Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 1:20pm
post #29 of 34

I'm not sure about that myself because I just buy my fondant. No time to make it.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 3:15pm
post #30 of 34

If you can not get Satin Ice in Canada, then I would make MMF and add Hersey's Special Dark (Dutch Processed) Cocoa to it. You will get black!

Here is the link to the thread....

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-34064-mmf.html+turn+black

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%