Help With Transporting

Decorating By terri-jo Updated 7 Jul 2007 , 7:36pm by terri-jo

terri-jo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terri-jo Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 2:17am
post #1 of 10

Somehow the last post I made asking this question ended up in cookies, so I'll try again here. I have to transport cakes I made today for a three tiered cake by plane tomorrow evening.(Saturday) That leaves me Sunday morning to decorate it for my in-laws 40th anniversary. Any idea the best way to do this? I'm thinking torte, then freeze them, so squashing is minimal. I'm fairly sure I'll have to check it, so I'll put them with my tools in a bin. I'm so nervous. Has anyone done this? Is there a better way? I'm running out of time! Thanks!!!

Teresa

9 replies
AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 2:33am
post #2 of 10

I am not sure how far you are having to travel with the cakes but I am transporting a 3 tier wedding cake fully decorated but not stacked tomorrow for 50 miles. I do this all the time. When I know I will be traveling with a cake I limit the frosting filling to a minimum to prevent bulging. All the little bumps in the highway finally get to them! I have an SUV and I place the non-skid shelf liner on the floor of the back and that keeps the cakes from moving around or shifting. I do not put them in boxes or bins because they will tend to move to the sides and disturb the decorations. If you are nervous about doing it this way I would go ahead and crumb coat them. During the trip they will settle as much as they are going to and then you can trim the bulging off and frost the final time. I don't see a need to freeze them. BUT, do whatever will make you rest easy tonight!

terri-jo Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 2:20pm
post #3 of 10

I should have said...I have to fly with these cakes, otherwise I'd do it stacked and finished. That I've done several times with no problems, but flying with cakes is new to me. I'm flying tonight, so if anyone has any great ideas, I'd love to hear 'em. Thanks for replying Alamo!

T

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 2:25pm
post #4 of 10

You are a braver soul than I. I was begged to bring a cake to my inlaw's 50th anniversary party by plane. I said, he!! no and will be bringing cookies instead.

Only check the cakes with your luggage if you are planning to make cake balls upon your arrival. There's no way the cakes will survive in the baggage compartment.

Contact the airline and ask them what you should do. If you're not satisfied with the help you're getting, ask to speak to a supervisor or call back later. A friend of mine is a supervisor for United Airlines and he is always regaling us with stories of how incredibly stupid his employees are. Viva la union! icon_wink.gif

hollyhobby74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyhobby74 Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 3:36pm
post #5 of 10

I would hate to know a baggage handler was playing with my cake !

I know it is to late now but I think I would have left a day or two earlier and made cakes on site, or contact a bakery in the area where you are going, sometimes they may bake the layers for you and you could decorate on site.

Good Luck, I will pray for you and your cake.

Cake-Happy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Happy Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 4:09pm
post #6 of 10

Hopefully the airline will allow you to bring the bottom tier as your carry on. (If you have someone else with you... the middle layer can be their carry on). Then you can make the small top tier at your destination.

Good Luck! Be sure and let us know how you made it.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 4:59pm
post #7 of 10

don't assume you will be able to take them. while not all airports enforce it, they are supposed to restrict you to 2 carry on bags (and that includes your purse!) (well, in the U.S., at least - I see you are in Canada). and you can never be sure you will be able to take it on as a carry on - what is your back up plan if you get on the plane and the overhead bins are full? I've seen that happen several times - they take your bag from you and check it.

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 5:57pm
post #8 of 10

FLYING? OH MY icon_eek.gif

I liked the suggestion of buying undecorated cakes from a local baker or grocery store and decorating it there. Good luck and please let us know how you did it!

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 6:06pm
post #9 of 10

Look at the size requirements for a carry on bag. If your cakes will fit in a box that size, then I would take them to one of those mail stores that send package and I bet they can figure out a way to pack them so they don't even move!!! It might cost you some money, but it might be the same price as buying a cake there, rebaking, or paying for an extra carry on item.

terri-jo Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 7:36pm
post #10 of 10

Hi everyone...well, I'm on my way in a couple of hours. In a perfect world, I could have left days ago, with my own tools and stuff, taken my time and not had a worry in the world. This was a SERIOUSLY last minute venture, so there wasn't time to do more then I did. So...I baked, torted and the froze the layers. Wrapped them in cling-wrap and put them back in thier pans. The minute before we go, I'll load them into a hard plastic bin, and then...well, then, it's up to the powers that be. I just hope there wont be a last minute trip to the grocery bakery. Thanks for your support everyone...I'll let you know what happens next week!

Teresa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%