Soldier Welcome Home Help!

Baking By ape Updated 4 Sep 2006 , 2:29pm by ape

ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 12:40pm
post #1 of 35

I need some cookie design help! My brother will be returning this week from Iraq party.gif and my sister and I are flying out Friday to meet him and my parents at Fort Campbell. I wanted to make him some cookies and had planned on making U.S. shaped cookies decorated like the flag with "Welcome Home" written on one of the stripes. I think I can pull that off. THEN, while I was at the cake store this weekend, I found an eagle cutter (eagle with wings spread) and thought I might do that as well b/c he is part of the 101st Airborne (screamin' eagles). BUT.....when I returned home to check their emblem, it is just an eagle head. NOW....I do not think my decorating abilities are such that I can recreate anything that might actually look like an eagle, so I have thought of some alternatives:

1. A red, white and blue flag decorated eagle shape
2. A brown eagle shape with 101st written in the middle

And then, I'm blank!

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance! usaribbon.gif
LL

34 replies
ape Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 1:32pm
post #2 of 35

No ideas?

TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 35

WHY NOT THE RED WHOTE AND BLUE FLAG AND THEN THE EAGLE HEAD ON TOP OF THAT

WendyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyB Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 35

I like your original flag idea. With or without writing a flag is great.
Save the eagle for another time.
Tell your brother "thank you" for serving!

ape Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 8:13pm
post #5 of 35

Will do Wendy! It may be a little less stressful for me to just do the flags.....but then he is changing his unit soon and won't be a part of the 101st anymore, so.......

Princess3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Princess3 Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 9:50pm
post #6 of 35

Hust wanted to give you a *BUMP* . Congratulations on your brother coming home. God Bless Him.

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 9:59pm
post #7 of 35

I think the flags will be great! Tell him "Thank You!" for serving his country and for making it safer for us all.

bekahscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bekahscakes Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 10:12pm
post #8 of 35

If you had a cookie cutter of a helicopter you could use that as well. Helicopters and the 101st go hand and hand. I live on Ft.Campbell and the helicopters are always flying over my house. Especially since the 101st staarted coming back. usaribbon.gif

Also your eagle that you have would still be okay because the are statues of eagles on the post that do have there wings spread wide.

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 11:11pm
post #9 of 35

my brother is still in iraz. i try to send him cookies every once in a while. i sent him 3 dozen yellow ribbons, 3 dozen stars all decorated differently red, white and blue and us maps decorated like us flags. congratulations on his safe return. god bless our troops!!

kneadacookie Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 11:12pm
post #10 of 35

iraq...sorry

ape Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 1:05am
post #11 of 35

Man....don't have a helicopter! OK....maybe I'll just do a few red, white and blue eagles and some red, white and blue USA's...thanks bekah! HEY...I might see you this weekend....I'll be around with my parents, sister and my brother...SGT Matthew Sutton! If you see someone that looks totally out of place with a cute little soldier....that's me!!! hahahaha!

kneadacookie.....how long did it take your cookies to get there? I assume they were still good! We pray everyday for all the soldiers there! Please tell your brother how much we appreciate him!

kneadacookie Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 4:25pm
post #12 of 35

it took approx 2 weeks for the cookies to get there. they were still in fabulous shape and my brother said they tasted as good as when i shipped them 2 day to him in OK. he really wanted to be able to go over to do "his duty". cookies are the least i could send

ape Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 5:14pm
post #13 of 35

All my brother wanted was pop-tarts! We sent him some for his birthday a few months ago. Each of my boys got to pick a flavor and draw a picture for Uncle Matt!

I'm sure if your cookies made it to Iraq, I should be able to get them safely on a plane!

Thanks so much for your help!

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 5:24pm
post #14 of 35

I have an idea - it's costly, but you might like it. The emblem you posted above is gorgeous...how about printing it repeatedly on edible image sheets and laying them on round cookies? My local grocery store has a Bakery Craft machine and in exchange for training their staff on how to use it (I guess I'm computer savvy... icon_lol.gif ) they let me come there when they're not busy and print anything I need, all I have to do is pay for the sheets. The Bakery Craft machine can print images designed to go on cupcake tops, which I think might be...3"? you could make rolled-out cut sugar cookes and then put these on them.

Just a thought!

ape Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 5:37pm
post #15 of 35

That would be totally awesome....BUT.....to get good edible images I have to drive a little ways to my favorite cake shop. I actually did check with Walmart the other day, but they did not do edible images there! I really do like that idea and if I'd thought about it a few days ago.....

DelightsByE Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 5:41pm
post #16 of 35

do you have any local grocery stores (besides WalMart) that do them? Sheesh I wish I'd seen your post sooner...

kneadacookie Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 1:07pm
post #17 of 35

funny thing happened to me on the way to the post office.... actually I just sent my brother 2 boxes of cookies last week. i got a phone call last night. it was my brother. he's home in oklahoma for a 2 week leave. it was so wonderful to hear from him. then i realized...his cookies would get to iraq and be sitting there for over a week before he got back. guess i'll be baking him another batch in a couple of weeks.

ape Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 1:28pm
post #18 of 35

Yep....I guess you'll just have to make more cookies....Maybe he could get someone to pick up the package and at least someone else could enjoy them!

OK...here's the current problem (nothing really to do with cookies, but thought some of you might understand).

My brother was supposed to be getting back into the states in the next couple of days. My parents are driving his car to him in Kentucky and my sister and I were flying out Friday and staying until Sunday afternoon.....WELL.....looks like he may not get in until Sunday morning!!!!!! icon_cry.gif Now, I will have less than 12 hours with him. Option is there to change the flight if I want to pay another $125....plus be away from my family here for that much longer (my DH has been really great....his birthday is on Saturday and he's spending it taking care of our 5 year old, 4 year old and 2 year old....well he'll be getting a little break to go to the Astros game). Or, I could just suck it up!!! I just feel like crying......I guess instead I'll go decorate his cookies!

Thanks for all the great ideas and letting me rant and rave!

giovanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giovanna Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 1:32pm
post #19 of 35

All of these ideas are wonderful - nothing new to add other than a huge thank you to your brother!!!

kneadacookie Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 1:33pm
post #20 of 35

yeah it took my brother 3 1/2 days to get home. that's a toughie. i guess i'd probably just take the 12 hours and run. it would really suck if you changed all your plans and then his trip was delayed or changed again. good luck

ape Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 1:35pm
post #21 of 35

We're not making any changes until we get the "final" call from the military.....72 hours out....so today or tomorrow hopefully.

bekahscakes Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 1:37pm
post #22 of 35

I'm sorry that your brother is getting here late. The Army is really bad about changing these sort of things. When my husband left a few weeks ago he was suppose to leave on the 20th of August, then suddenly they changed it to the 15th I was very upset! But as long as your brother is getting to come home that's the most important thing.

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 1:40pm
post #23 of 35

What about adding in a few heart cookies? You could ice them in red/white/blue, or just red, and write Welcome Home on them. That may not be a patriotic cookie, but hey, you're his sister! You're allowed to sneak in a few 'mushy' sentiment cookies too, right? icon_wink.gif

ape Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 1:42pm
post #24 of 35

Absolutely! I will be so thankful to have him back in the states! Then we just kind of hold our breath until the next time!

He will be moving to Fort Hood early next year, so at least he'll be closer!

Bekah....we are so thankful too for your sacrifice as well as your husband's. I did not know my husband when he was in the Army during Desert Storm....I think I would have gone CRAZY!

bekahscakes Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 1:46pm
post #25 of 35

If he's going to Ft.Hood maybe you'll get to see him much more often. It's not as bad as I thought it would be with my husband gone. I miss him a lot, but I'm learning to get used to it too. Plus almost all my neighbors are going thru the same thing so I have others that definately understand.

ape Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 2:39pm
post #26 of 35

New idea.....do you think that if i sent the cookies in the car with my parents they would be ok if they weren't stacked? If kneadacookie sends them via mail to iraq, would they survive a 15 hour car trip....some of the time they would be sitting in a hot car. Thoughts anyone?

ape Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 12:00pm
post #27 of 35

OK...here they are! I'm going to try and post picture here, but don't know if it will work. I was pretty happy with the eagle "flags"! I leave in an hour.....still not totally sure if he will be there on Sunday, but he did call on Thursday and say that that was still the plan.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

See you all next week!
LL

DelightsByE Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 12:16pm
post #28 of 35

LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!

Make me some! icon_biggrin.gif

bekahscakes Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 1:02pm
post #29 of 35

I love them! You did a great job.

Princess3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Princess3 Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 3:21pm
post #30 of 35

YOU HAVE DONE A WONDERFUL JOB ON THESE. GOD BLESS YOUR BROTHER AND FAMILY DURING YOUR TRIP!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%