Stitches And Fondant

Decorating By Tonja Updated 29 Aug 2008 , 8:09am by Cake_Princess

Tonja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tonja Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 11

I am going to be making one of the "Stitches" 1st bday cakes with fondant and buttercream. I have seen the edges of the fondant pieces with what looks like stitches. What was used or what can I do to achieve that effect? Any suggestions or help offered would be greatly appreciated... Have a good week.

10 replies
emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 5:57am
post #2 of 11

I'm not sure if you mean a character called stitches or stitches like with sewing. If you mean sewing then stitches is really easy - you need a tracving wheel with a studded wheel that you simply run over the fondant to leave a 'stitched' pattern.

Tonja Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 2:24pm
post #3 of 11

Thank you... I could not for the life of me think how to do it. Have a good week!!

nenufares Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nenufares Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 11
Pyxxydust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyxxydust Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 11

I use Wilton's cutter/embosser too, and it really comes in handy. Check out my pics of the leather jacket cake and the pillow/prince cake - that's how I got the illusion of stitching on those cakes. It's not expensive and comes with 3 diff wheels. I also made the zipper on the leather jacket cake with one of the other wheels, also. The only drawback I've seen is that the "straight" wheel doesn't cut a really clean line - it's a little beveled - so I used an Xacto knife when I need a clean, crisp cut. Other than that, it's great!

Tonja Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 7:11pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks I have one of those and will have to practice.. That is what I tried yesterday and am doing flowers and I had a hard time with the curves of the flowers and keeping it straight... I just need to practice.... FAST!!! Thanks again....~Tonja

isakov1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isakov1 Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 7:17pm
post #7 of 11

Before I had a wilton cutter embosser - I just used my cake comb! (I have both a plastic one and a metal one) I used the side with the smaller triangles and it worked! I used in on a suitcase cakeicon_smile.gif

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 7:19pm
post #8 of 11

A little tip on the cutter/embosser, when I use MMF, I always make sure to put a little crisco on the wheel I'm using to keep it from getting gunked up. Otherwise, it get pieces of fondant stuck in there and it's a pita!

Good luck
Diana

Pyxxydust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyxxydust Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 7:20pm
post #9 of 11

Diana - that's a great tip! I only use MMF, and I did have a problem with the gunking up issue. I never thought to crisco that! Thanks!

Onome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Onome Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 4:49am
post #10 of 11

Thanks to everyone for your input. I learned alot from this thread

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 8:09am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonja

I am going to be making one of the "Stitches" 1st bday cakes with fondant and buttercream. I have seen the edges of the fondant pieces with what looks like stitches. What was used or what can I do to achieve that effect? Any suggestions or help offered would be greatly appreciated... Have a good week.

You can use a toothpick to create a stitch pattern in your fondant. Here is a picture showing the pattern on the corner of a bag cake that I made.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%