My First Castle Cake!

Decorating By Melvira Updated 28 Aug 2006 , 3:02am by katharry

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 17

I was so excited to do this cake... I thought and thought about all the different ways to do it, and think I came up with a decent interpretation. Of course, as I was doing it I came up with different ideas that would have worked much better, but some of them I didn't have the stuff for, the rest I ran out of time for, but for my first, I am satisfied with it. I will enjoy trying again with some of the other ideas in my head!! Thanks for letting me share with you!
LL

16 replies
freddie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddie Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 17

Very pretty, and not overdone, good work !!!!

kcepenney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcepenney Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 17

So what are the towers made of? Is the whole thing edible??

You are going to catch up with Duff!!

Melvira Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 17

Actually, I went through all the ideas that other people have posted... paper towel rolls, pringles cans, (even made DH eat four cans of Pringles!) and in the end wanted something sturdier, so bought a 1.5" PVC pipe and had it cut down into shorter pieces. So, obviously the pipes aren't edible, and the very top center is not either, the fabric covered pillars and above. Otherwise it's all dinner! icon_lol.gif

Ok, I have the feeling that I just received a great compliment... but just in case, who is Duff?

BlackMamba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlackMamba Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 17

Wonderful job thumbs_up.gif

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 17

Great job! And you definitely did receive a compliment. thumbs_up.gif Duff is a well known cake decorator. He is the owner of Charm City Cakes in Baltimore, has his own show on Food Network called Ace of Cakes, and is in several of Food Networks Challenges shows.

Melvira Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 9:20pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3884

Duff is a well known cake decorator ...has his own show on Food Network called Ace of Cakes,

Ok, I'm flattered!! I keep hearing about this show Ace of Cakes, and I am dying to watch it, but I live in a small town and Food Network is not part of our cable. (And the local cable company has apparently found a way to keep the major digital providers out of this area!) We are considering a switch to dish network just to get that channel. I used to live for it as a food professional!

kdhoffert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdhoffert Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 9:23pm
post #8 of 17

Well it's on tonight at 6:00pm eastern time and 6:30.

adams2shop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adams2shop Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 9:27pm
post #9 of 17

Very nice job! It reminds me of a snow-princess castle with all the white and silver. Very elegant.

kdhoffert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdhoffert Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 9:27pm
post #10 of 17

Very pretty.

Melvira Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 9:29pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdhoffert

Well it's on tonight at 6:00pm eastern time and 6:30.

Ok, that's just wrong... I can't even get that channel! You're killing me here! icon_wink.gif

mrskennyprice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrskennyprice Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 9:48pm
post #12 of 17

very nice job! definitely switch from cable to the either direct TV or dish - so much better than cable!

I'm curious...you mentioned wanting to change things or do them differently as you were making this cake...what kinds of difficulties did you run into and what would you have done differently? I'm getting ready to start a castle cake, so I'd love to hear! Thanks.

Melvira Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 12:16am
post #13 of 17

MrsK...
The changes were vast, yet I like what I ended up with... but I would have glued the turrets to the towers before frosting them... that was just stupid. I would have made the cake larger. I would have used taller towers in the back (I bought a long pipe and had it cut into four 10" and four 12" so I could make different sized cakes.) I perhaps would have used more towers. Some of the things I thought of but ran out of time for were windows in the towers, and details like that. Although with this color scheme, ivy climbing the walls may not have been 'right' I would love to do another one in shades of grey perhaps, and do the ivy. I think this one looked better without it though. A darker, more traditional castle would have that, but a fairyland silvery castle like this most likely wouldn't. I would love to build a base for this that would hold the towers securely in place so I wouldn't have to worry about transport. That would be fantastic. If I plan to do this type of cake much I may create a prototype for it. I need to start a cake accessories company for all the ideas I have for bases, containers, separators, etc. I am very creative and just wish I could make all the things in this brain! Let me know if you had any important questions that I missed... I got on a tangent and rambled so long I've forgotten what you wanted to know! (Kidding) icon_lol.gif

CarolinaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaBelle Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 2:44am
post #14 of 17

The cake is so pretty. Great job.

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 2:48am
post #15 of 17

Love it!! I think it came out perfect thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 2:50am
post #16 of 17

I love you guys man... and I'm not trying to get 'yer Bud Light! icon_lol.gif

katharry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharry Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 3:02am
post #17 of 17

One of the most elegant & regal castles I've ever seem - you did great thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%