Need Ideas For Funeral Reception Cakes

Decorating By Kahuna Updated 28 Aug 2006 , 3:47am by funtomake

Kahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahuna Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 12

My church was having a fair after mass today to encourage volunteers in different areas. I mentioned that I was a "baker" and was told they were in desperate need of help with the funeral receptions. I would appreciate any ideas you all have or should I just bring undecorated dessert items? Sorry to bring up such a depressing subject, but I want to do something appropriate for the situation. Thanks for the help!

Sue

11 replies
JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 12

I would do the cake pan that looks like a book and make it look like a Bible or a tribute to someone. Or you could do an angel cake. Something simple like a sheet cake with flowers would be nice too.

Joanne

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 12

I just did one. It was a 11x15 with the book pan on top. I will post it.

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 4:03pm
post #4 of 12

Around here...the meal served in church after a funeral is functional....not a place where a fancy cake would be required. Usually...the cake pre-scored or sliced for serving ~ rather than displayed for oohs and aahs. If it were me, I'd go for the great tasting sheetcake with very simple borders....and I think I'd use the impression mat that divides the sheetcake for serving. You could put a little flower or something on each square of the impressed cake?????? Just thinking out loud~~~ every area is different I realize.

Kahuna Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks for the help those are great ideas (and why I love this site so much)! I would love to see the book cake

Sweetpeeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeeps Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 4:08pm
post #6 of 12

I agree with Phoov. I think just something really simple with out much decoration. I've never heard of a decorated cake at a funeral reception. Around here we have more pies and things like that. One thing that maybe nice though is sort of a memorial cake. Maybe put nice things about the person or good memories about him or her.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 4:10pm
post #7 of 12

Funeral receptions-My mom used to run the receptions after the funeral mass. She would have said sheet cake, frosted. Just a little flower or design on each piece at most. Either that or cookies or bownies. Something that can be easily handled. The receptions are buffet and the desserts would be set out for people to take what they want. A sheet cake could be easily cut in the kitchen and then people could serve themselves.

Kahuna Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 4:17pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks to all of you for the excellent advice. Like I said, I want to be appropriate for the situation

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 4:20pm
post #9 of 12

I just posted the one I did last month for my uncle's funeral. It is very simply decorated and was very much appreciated by the family. Here things are alittle different. The church hosting the reception provides servers, a set up, and clean up crew of women volunteers. Very common for them to cut and serve the desserts.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 3:22am
post #10 of 12

I recently did a cake in rememberance of someone who was dead for four years. I put forget-me-nots on the cake! Made a bunch of them in Royal ... only thing is most people don't really recognize the flower and know it's called "forget-me-not". I had to tell everybody.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 3:31am
post #11 of 12

simple sheet.
as others have said...pre-scored.
my suggestion for small decoration on each:

either a simple cross

or

a Chi-ro (the P w/ an x) -- for Christ the King

or

an Alpha (A) and an Omega (sort of like a rounded horseshoe) for God being the beginning and end of all things

or

IHS (initals of Christ's name in Greek)

funtomake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtomake Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 3:47am
post #12 of 12

we celebrate birth, and we do our best to celebrate life. we should also celebrate in the memories of those we love and care about, even in their passing. maybe not anything so elaborate as wedding cake style, but something that shows how much we care. every family is different though and should be consulted, if possible. enjoy your gift of baking as you give to others.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%