So How Do You Smooth The New Crisco?

Decorating By mqguffey Updated 8 Jul 2007 , 2:09pm by serena70

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 5:15am
post #1 of 26

Geez, you guys were right, this new Crisco is terrible! Will it EVER crust over so I can smooth it? Is the Melvira method the best way to go?

I'm stuck with it on a groom's cake for Saturday, but I certainly won't be using it again after that. Ack!

I've got the cake iced now, how long should I expect to wait for it to crust? Should I leave it overnight and then attempt smoothing?

(sorry for the repost, accidentally posted in the lounge.)

25 replies
yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 12:18pm
post #2 of 26

I did a couple of cakes with Crisco and it finally crusted enough for me to smooth but it still didn't smooth well. Be sure to have some chocolate or a glass of wine handy because my experience in trying to smooth that stuff drove me nuts. Oh, and be sure to keep the room really cool, that seems to help some too.

Do you have time to remake the icing? I've found that the Piggly Wiggly brand of shortening works really, really well.

Good luck!

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 12:40pm
post #3 of 26

I made one cake with the new Crisco, never again! My Crisco is now used to make pan grease, I switched to Alpine and will never go back!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 12:43pm
post #4 of 26

I smooth it the same way I always did. I see no difference..... crusts just as well now as it did before.

mqguffey Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 1:36pm
post #5 of 26

Well, I finally smoothed it, if you can call it that. Thanks for all your moral support! I ended up using my Melvira Roller (patent pending icon_smile.gif, but I rolled it in cornstarch first, tapped off the excess and then did the best I could. That icing was so greasy, it soaked the cornstarch right up!

YH, what soothes better, zinfandel or merlot? icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Fortunately this cake has a lot of fondant lay-ons, so I'm going to try to cover up as much icing as I can!

yh9080 Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 2:09pm
post #6 of 26

mqguffey - personally, I prefer merlot. icon_smile.gif What's your preference? I'm at work in B'ham today and I'll bring it to you at lunch. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

mqguffey Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 2:35pm
post #7 of 26

Hmm, have you ever tried Cabernet & chocolate. A lovely pairing!

I'm in wedding cake hell right now (fortunately covered in fondant so it doesn't matter if the BC looks like h*ll) so a glass of wine would certainly take the edge off. It's 5 o'clock somewhere, right??

We really do need to get together an Alabama day of sharing!

yh9080 Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 3:43pm
post #8 of 26

You are so right about a day of sharing. Maybe we could plan something for the fall when things settle down some.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 7:25pm
post #9 of 26
msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 7:46pm
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I smooth it the same way I always did. I see no difference..... crusts just as well now as it did before.

I agree. I'm not doing anything different either.

Do you think it has anything to do with it being more humid now? Even if it isn't really "stinkin" hot outside I keep the air conditioner on just to be on the safe side.

Good luck! I hope it works out for everyone. The whole new formula thing hasn't affected me too much. Elmo's face fell off one day, but since I started adding a bit of cornstarch to the icing it's been working pretty well.

lilie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilie Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 5:00pm
post #11 of 26

Boy, I hope I don't have the same problems that I'm reading here. I haven't seen the new crisco yet, I guess I need to make sure I have the right shortening. Does the new shortening fall off a cake? Seems to me that it will melt faster while sitting on a brides table while trying to look pretty.

girlybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
girlybaker Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 6:12pm
post #12 of 26

I have found that by adding 2-4 teaspoons of whole milk, I dont have to deal with my buttercream not being thick enough or crusting over. It seems with crisco removing the trans fat it needs the whole milk fat (which is the good stuff) to "plump it up and make it harden.

Jenn01844 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn01844 Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 7:13pm
post #13 of 26

Have you guys tried making wilton roses with the new crisco??? Disaster. I'm still learning so I was so upset. They are all frayed and cracked on the edges.

My instructer said it was due to the new crisco....I will have to try teh Stop and Shop brand.

yh9080 Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 10:06pm
post #14 of 26

girlybaker wrote

Quote:
Quote:

Boy, I hope I don't have the same problems that I'm reading here. I haven't seen the new crisco yet, I guess I need to make sure I have the right shortening. Does the new shortening fall off a cake? Seems to me that it will melt faster while sitting on a brides table while trying to look pretty.

Oh yes, it falls off. I had the whole side of a wedding cake fall off. And it was soft too.

I love the Piggy Wiggly store brand. It makes up like the old Crisco used too. And it is cheaper too.

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 12:37am
post #15 of 26

I agree wuth girlybaker- I have switched to whole milk thanks to ohmygoodies and between that and the cornstarch it is much better. The consistency is still so wierd though.

My regular chocolate BC which I use to have to litterally chisel out of the container when cold, I can now almost spread without thinning- sooo wierd

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 1:35am
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

same here!! i haven't had a problem at all, and i've been using the zero transfat for weeks now.

marecip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marecip Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 2:26am
post #17 of 26

I haven't noticed any difference with the new Crisco either. When I first started seeing all the posts popping up saying there were problems I thought I was just lucky and my Crisco cans were the older ones but when I checked I had been using the new.
After reading more posts all I can figure is it is because I always use evaporated (canned) milk in my frosting.
I use this in place of milk/cream in all kinds of recipes & in coffee & tea. I am never without a few cans on the shelf.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 2:28am
post #18 of 26

I've always used milk in my icing, too. The basketweave I made today (with purple roses ... in pics) crusted so well that I could actually pick up the top tier by holding the sides of the cake. But when I cut the cake at the wedding, the icing was nice and soft on the inside.

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 2:38am
post #19 of 26

I have not had an issue either knock on wood.

cykrivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cykrivera Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 2:47am
post #20 of 26

I haven't had any problems with the icing that I have noticed. The only issue for me and I'm not sure if it is related to the Crisco is my cakes have been sticking more to the pans. I grease and flour and usually have no problems, but my sides have been sticking lately. Any ideas?

evieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evieg Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 8:18am
post #21 of 26

if you have problem with the crisco report to www.crisco.com go to contact us and explain then what happen

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 11:42am
post #22 of 26

I don't have any problems with the new crisco, my frosting really crusts. I don't see a difference at all. I did switch about the same time to Vals HH and this crusts better than the other frosting I was using.

Kat

yh9080 Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 12:02pm
post #23 of 26

mqguffey-how did it go? I thought about you Friday night and yesterday. Did the bc ever decide to behave? I also thought about you having to deliver the cake in all the rain we had yesterday. It was a messy day but we really needed the rain.

mqguffey Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 12:15pm
post #24 of 26

That is so sweet of you!

It actually went pretty well. *I* wasn't happy with the guitar groom's cake, which was all BC, but to the untrained eye, it was a big hit.

But as I was doing the crumb coat on the bride's cake, I was thanking the heavens that the cake was going to be covered in fondant. A BC bride's cake would have sent me over the edge, I'm sure! But the Satin Ice chocolate rolled out beautifully, I was able to cover square corners successfully and everything transported and set up well.

The rain wasn't too bad. I was worried the humidity would melt my gumpaste flowers and leaves, but they were fine. Whew!

I'm going to hunt down some of that Piggly Wiggly shortening, because I when I tasted the BC, I noticed a distinct aftertaste. Blech!

I'll make sure to post pics soon.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 12:47pm
post #25 of 26

I see no difference with the trans fat Crisco. I've gone thru numerous 3# cans of it and I see no difference.

serena70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serena70 Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 2:09pm
post #26 of 26

I don't use Crisco any longer - I use the Target brand shortening - it works great!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%