13 replies
briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 12:35am
post #2 of 14

THANKS!!!!!!!!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 4:35am
post #3 of 14

I have to admit, I was really disheartened when I saw this contest. icon_confused.gif

I was looking forward to doing a cake this year, but I just can't swallow having to buy that $20 plastic castle kit (that I would never use again because I prefer to make things as edible as possible).

I think having such a large, pre-packaged starting point really limits creativity. At some level, all of the cakes will have at least some features that look alike--unless you begin to cut and alter the plastic pieces (and that seems to defeat the purpose). I guess it might even disqualify an entry because it would no longer be recongizable as having used the kit???

I know that Wilton wants to hype and sell the product, but it just rots my socks.

Sorry. JMHO
Rae

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 5:17am
post #4 of 14

I'm with you, Rae. I was all excited to see the contest until I saw that every entry has to use the kit. Some of the past Wilton contests have had such unique & creative entries & I think they are really limiting this one. Man, they sure are pushing that castle kit!

Bec

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 6:03am
post #5 of 14

Ladies, don't worry about buying the wilton romantic castle kit. I'm going to win this anyway. Save your money. Buy something you can actually use. Wars on.
Just joking! I actually did a castle cake with this a couple weeks ago. The one thing I hated about this kit was the fact you can't secure it well. You think they would have thought of that.

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 12:52pm
post #6 of 14

have to get the kit with the 40% or even better the 50% when it comes out

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 4:22pm
post #7 of 14

Gang .... you have to remember that Wilton is not in business to make cakes. They are in business to sell cake decorating supplies. Cakes that require more Wilton products than other cakes have a greater chance of winning that cakes that dont'.

Just my ever so never humble opinion! icon_wink.gif

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 4:41pm
post #8 of 14

I think you have to have 50% of their castle on there.

iramirez94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iramirez94 Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 4:58pm
post #9 of 14

I agree jultz71 with you about not being able to support the cake. I had a horrible time trying to add the turrets on the second tier. Grant it I am a newbie, but I could not get it straight enough. THEN.. as I was loading it into the car... well... my turrets tipped over onto the cake. At the party I spent over an hour trying to fix it. It never looked straight... the windows, doors.. OH well!! Everyone said it looked beautiful.. !! I just wish I would have asked my son to help me load it into the van, instead og trying to move a box with one hand as I held the cake with my other hand. Boy.. I will never do that again. (the cake was for my twin daughter's )

mariafun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariafun Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 3:58am
post #10 of 14

I also had trouble with the turrets falling over. On the drive to work, every last turret toppled! If anybody figures out a way to secure them effectively, let me know!
Maria

iramirez94 Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 4:02am
post #11 of 14

I think if I ever make another cake using the kit I will make whole on the bottom of the turrets and stick the dowels inside to held stabalize them. At least it seems to work in my head!
icon_biggrin.gif

iramirez94 Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 4:03am
post #12 of 14

ooops... icon_eek.gif I can't see anymore.. I mean make a hole... on the bottom of the turrets!!!

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 4:23am
post #13 of 14

i am assuming the turrets are hollow?? maybe a good way would be to fill the turret with styrofoam or something light and then stick a dowel right through the middle and then into the cake

mariafun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariafun Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 8:35pm
post #14 of 14

The turrets are enclosed. No opening in the bottom. However, when I left mine in water to soak the icing off, a couple of them filled with water like a bath toy! Now I'm gonna have to drill a hole to let the water out! Yuck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%