Do You Remind Brides Of The Upcoming Payment Due Date?

Decorating By kathik Updated 7 Jul 2007 , 2:12pm by weirkd

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 12

I am coming up on the date of 1 month prior to my first wedding cake. That is the date for the remainder of the payment. Is it expected that I email or mail a balance due statement (long distance bride)? I don't want to be a pain, but I don't want her to forget, either.

How do you handle this?

Thanks,
Kathi

11 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 12

Try e-mailing at first. If you get no response then send a bill. You could also let them know that if it's not paid in full that there will be no cake.

You are running a business, and like any business you should expect to be paid. The utility companies and every company out there don't mind reminding anyone that money is owed.

The bride might simply have let time slip away and not realize what obligations she has. She might actually be glad that you reminded her.

HTH

Michele

Jenteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenteach Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 4:17pm
post #3 of 12

I agree - brides have a lot on their minds with their wedding coming up and she may forget. I think a quick reminder email is a great idea!

HTH

Jen

PS - not that I've done a wedding cake before, but I do think its a good idea and a "bump" for you nonetheless.....

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 12

1 month before the wedding I send a statement/invoice reminding them of the balance due and due date. I figure they have a lot on their mind and appreciate the reminder. I haven't had any problem with brides not paying yet *crosses fingers*

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 6:06pm
post #5 of 12

with all of my orders I also send a self addressed and stamped envelope. I find that I get my payments a lot quicker!

kathik Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 7:53pm
post #6 of 12

I sent the following email this afternoon:

Hi xxxxx,

I hope all is going well as you prepare for your wedding. Knowing how many details there are during the final weeks, I thought I would send a reminder that we are approaching your final payment date of July 12, 2007. I am looking forward to creating your wedding cake and will let you know when the payment has been received.

I am unsure how far in advance of the wedding you will be traveling to North Carolina, but since you will be picking up your cake on Saturday night, I will need a contact number for the week prior to the wedding. This will insure that we have our schedules coordinated.

If you have any questions, please be sure to contact me.

Thank you,
Kathi Kreider
Parve Pleasures and More
919-872-2511

How does that sound? I was trying to sound friendly, but professional.

Thanks,
Kathi

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 8:10pm
post #7 of 12

Kathi- I think it sounds fine. You were professional, but also friendly. I'm sure the bride will appreciate the friendly reminder.

Totally-Frosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Totally-Frosted Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 8:21pm
post #8 of 12

Kathi,

Your letter sounds very nice and professional. I agree about the utility companies, etc. They expect their payment on a certain date and if it is not there they will disconnect you.

So don't feel bad for expecting your payment. She doesn't know whether or not you have other clients so it is good that you reminded her. She also has her hands full right now and it is very easy to forget things when under that much stress. Many blessings on your first wedding cake!

Veronica

kathik Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 10:06pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks Veronica and JRAE33. I haven't heard back yet, but it is was a holiday this week and she might have been traveling.

Thanks,
Kathi

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 1:56pm
post #10 of 12

Hi Kathi,

Your letter looks great! thumbs_up.gif At the one month mark, I send something similar, a "just checking in" email to remind brides of what their order is. I go over what I have on file for their order (flavours, sizes of tiers, total amount of servings, etc.) and ask them to confirm everything. I also let them know at the same time the final payment amount and when it is due (2 weeks before the wedding for me), and how they can pay it.

I find brides love this service, because most of them have forgotten about the cake's final payment (it was usually booked months in advance), so they find the reminder very helpful. I keep a draft email on file and just fill in the blanks for each one that I need to send, so it doesn't take me much time to do either.

Nicole

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 2:11pm
post #11 of 12

i think it's perfect...well said

and yes, i remind my clients too...just a friendly e-mail like that is usually good...

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 2:12pm
post #12 of 12

Absolutely! I remember that day, that week even, being so hectic and you tend to forget stuff. So a friendly reminder is nice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%