Can I Sub Liquor For Some Water In Cake Mix???

Decorating By rhesp1212 Updated 25 Apr 2016 , 11:38pm by Mrz.cherrri

rhesp1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhesp1212 Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 13

I have a request for a rum cake that is sculpted. I can't do a soggy sculpted cake, so someone suggested using rum extract to substitute some of the water. Could I use bottled rum in place of the water??? Would that do anything weird to the cake? That way I could still get the rum flavor without jeapordizing the integrity of the cake.

any thoughts??

THanks
Valerie

12 replies
beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 3:21pm
post #2 of 13

you can do just about anything you want to to a cake mix. they're designed as a no fail method of baking. LOL. sub liquor, juice, milk, coffee, soda.... whatever. odds are highly in your favor that it will be just fine. you may need to experiment a little with amounts to achieve the right taste for you though.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 13

The bottled rum in place of the water will work the best. But because of the alcohol, you might want to add about 1/4 cup of milk or buttermilk to give it a little extra moisture. A tsp. of rum extract added will enhance the flavor.

I definitely would not replace any of the water with the extract. You will not be using enough of the extract to make a difference in the consistency of the batter.

Good luck with your cake.

Michele

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 13

I haven't used rum, but I did substitute Kaluah (spelling?) in a cake recently. Tasted good, but it is thicker and creamier than rum.

rhesp1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhesp1212 Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 13

Oh goodie!! I'm so glad this will work. What do you think I should use as a filling for the cake? I wonder what adding rum to buttercream would do. I'll have to try it and see. I was thinking of adding some rum or rum extract to the buttercream and adding some finely chopped walnuts or pecans. What do you think?

Valerie

Machel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Machel Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 13

what about pineapple or coconut as a filling to make like a pina colada flavor. Or passion fruit filling for a rum punch.

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 9:06pm
post #7 of 13

i made a pineapple cake last week with cocunut filling,and I substituted the extract in the frosting with malibu coconut rum,needless to say the cake was devoured!!!!!!!!haven't tried the alcohol in a cake mix yet though.would you be substituting the amount of water called for OR the amount of extract called for??

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 9:08pm
post #8 of 13

I've done this several times with different alcohols. You want to use 3/4ths cup of less of the alcohol then use the rest of the water that is called for. So if your mix calls for 1 1/3rd cups water do 3/4th cup rum and then 1/4th plus 1/3rd water. icon_smile.gif

fefe07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fefe07 Posted 13 Dec 2012 , 7:03pm
post #9 of 13

I was looking into making my dad a glenfiddich cake for his birthday. He loves his scotch. Would I substitute the scotch for water ? and what flavour would best suit the flavour ? I was thinking a chocolate cake ???

Looking for ideas .. Any help would do !!

Dakotaspot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dakotaspot Posted 20 Apr 2016 , 2:32am
post #10 of 13

I made chocolate/mint cupcakes by marbleing 2 box mixes, a chocolate and a white cake in which I subbed creme de menthe for the water. I used about 3/4 liquor 1/4 water. They were fabulous and bright green

Dakotaspot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dakotaspot Posted 20 Apr 2016 , 2:38am
post #11 of 13

[postimage id="3647" thumb="900"]I made chocolate/mint cupcakes by marbleing 2 box mixes, a chocolate and a white cake in which I subbed creme de menthe for the water. I used about 3/4 liquor 1/4 water. They were fabulous and bright green

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 22 Apr 2016 , 1:18pm
post #12 of 13

The Bacardi Rum cake recipe uses a cake mix and rum in the batter and it is delicious.

Mrz.cherrri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrz.cherrri Posted 25 Apr 2016 , 11:38pm
post #13 of 13

My dads birthday is coming up and i had no clue what kind of cake to make. So glad i came across this forum.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%