rhesp1212 Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 2:45pm
post #1 of

I have a request for a rum cake that is sculpted. I can't do a soggy sculpted cake, so someone suggested using rum extract to substitute some of the water. Could I use bottled rum in place of the water??? Would that do anything weird to the cake? That way I could still get the rum flavor without jeapordizing the integrity of the cake.

any thoughts??

THanks
Valerie

8 replies
beccakelly Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 3:21pm
post #2 of

you can do just about anything you want to to a cake mix. they're designed as a no fail method of baking. LOL. sub liquor, juice, milk, coffee, soda.... whatever. odds are highly in your favor that it will be just fine. you may need to experiment a little with amounts to achieve the right taste for you though.

Sugarflowers Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 3:23pm
post #3 of

The bottled rum in place of the water will work the best. But because of the alcohol, you might want to add about 1/4 cup of milk or buttermilk to give it a little extra moisture. A tsp. of rum extract added will enhance the flavor.

I definitely would not replace any of the water with the extract. You will not be using enough of the extract to make a difference in the consistency of the batter.

Good luck with your cake.

Michele

darandon Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 3:28pm
post #4 of

I haven't used rum, but I did substitute Kaluah (spelling?) in a cake recently. Tasted good, but it is thicker and creamier than rum.

rhesp1212 Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 6:03pm
post #5 of

Oh goodie!! I'm so glad this will work. What do you think I should use as a filling for the cake? I wonder what adding rum to buttercream would do. I'll have to try it and see. I was thinking of adding some rum or rum extract to the buttercream and adding some finely chopped walnuts or pecans. What do you think?

Valerie

Machel Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 8:58pm
post #6 of

what about pineapple or coconut as a filling to make like a pina colada flavor. Or passion fruit filling for a rum punch.

nicksmom Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 9:06pm
post #7 of

i made a pineapple cake last week with cocunut filling,and I substituted the extract in the frosting with malibu coconut rum,needless to say the cake was devoured!!!!!!!!haven't tried the alcohol in a cake mix yet though.would you be substituting the amount of water called for OR the amount of extract called for??

TexasSugar Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 9:08pm
post #8 of

I've done this several times with different alcohols. You want to use 3/4ths cup of less of the alcohol then use the rest of the water that is called for. So if your mix calls for 1 1/3rd cups water do 3/4th cup rum and then 1/4th plus 1/3rd water. icon_smile.gif

fefe07 Posted 13 Dec 2012 , 7:03pm
post #9 of

I was looking into making my dad a glenfiddich cake for his birthday. He loves his scotch. Would I substitute the scotch for water ? and what flavour would best suit the flavour ? I was thinking a chocolate cake ???

Looking for ideas .. Any help would do !!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%