A Tomatoe Cake - Need Help Please

Decorating By ljhow623 Updated 26 Aug 2006 , 7:39pm by Doug

ljhow623 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljhow623 Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 7

I'm thinking about making a cake shaped like a tomatoe. So obviously it's round. I don't have a ball pan so what could I use instead and how would you shape it afterwards. Would you color the frosting red or would you cover the cake in red fondant?

I should say to that I have never sculpted a cake so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I did a search in the galleries and found a great tomatoe cake. I forgot who made it but they did a terrific job on it. It was several small whole tomatoes and several slices of tomatoes. I think I just want one big tomatoe.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks - Lisa

6 replies
gibbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibbler Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 11:12pm
post #2 of 7

I made a pumpkin cake once using 2 bundt cakes inverted. You'd have to shave off the bundt edges.... I'd think I'd want something a little less round than a ball cake....

Good Luck and post a picture when you finish icon_biggrin.gif

gibbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibbler Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 7

Did you see the Veggie Tales cake that was posted recently? I can't remember who posted it, but she may be able to give you info on the tomato cake. Good luck.

LAJUANA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LAJUANA Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 1:38pm
post #4 of 7

you can bake in your stainless steel bowls. Just watch for doneness closely.

frstech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frstech Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 1:53pm
post #5 of 7

i was also going to recommend baking in stainless steel bowls the put the two together which will give you a flat bottom to sit on and a flat top for the tomato.

As far as if you should cover in fondant or not is really your preferance. you could build up the "bulges and creases" at the top of the tomato with buttercream, chill, then cover with fondant or just do the same build up, chill, then smooth ice with buttercream. Of course this is all what you prefer to do.

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 3:43pm
post #6 of 7

I'd use two bowls - I just use normal pudding bowls, grease them and then use my metal spatular to hook them out. I did this quite a bit before I bought my sphere tin and never had a problem - I bought the sphere tin in the end because it makes perfectly round balls, but the bowls were fine.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 7:39pm
post #7 of 7

see this thread, note LARRY the tomato!

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-38593-.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%