Making A Scratch Cake Into Marble.

Baking By scoobam Updated 25 Aug 2006 , 11:02pm by scoobam

scoobam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobam Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 6

Hey everyone!!

I have a request for a Marble cake... I was thinking of using the recipe below and scooping out some batter to add chocolate to it...

Anyone had any experience making a recipe into marble... how much should I add?? Can i use some melted semi-sweet chocolate as well as powder do you think?

or anyone out there have a predictable, delicious scratch marble cake they love?? LOL

Thanks!! icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Yellow Cake Layers
This is probably America's favorite layer for any kind of cake; it is what the cake-mix people try to imitate and never get right.

Makes two 8-inch layers

2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs at room temperature
3/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Into a bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.

In a large bowl with an electric mixer cream the butter, add sugar gradually, beating, and beat the mixture until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the flour mixture and the milk alternately in batches, beginning and ending with dry ingredients, add the vanilla, and beat the batter until it is smooth.

Divide the batter between 2 lightly greased and floured 8x1 1/2-inch round cake pans, smoothing the top, rap each pan on a hard surface twice to expel any air bubbles.

Bake the layers in the middle of a preheated 350-degree F oven for 25 to 35 minutes, or until a tester inserted in center comes out clean and the layers pull away slightly from the sides of the pans. Let the layers cool in the pans on a rack for 8 minutes, run a thin knife around the edge of each pan, and invert the layers onto the racks. Let the layers cool completely.

5 replies
autobuni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
autobuni Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 6

I would probably use the powder since the melted chocolate may change the consistancy of your cake.
I have done that before with 2 different recipes and the chocolate part was really dry when it came out. Maybe just my experience for that day.
Other times when I have done a marble cake with the same batter, I have flavored half with chocolate powder and it turned out fabulous. Just mix it good enough!
Good luck!

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 6

I would also go with the powder. In the boxed marble cake mixes, you mix some batter with the chocolate powder provided. Should be fine.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 6:52pm
post #4 of 6

I had bad, bad, bad luck with a scratch marble wedding cake. If you're doing a smaller cake, there are recipes around that will work, but to make a 15" round scratch marble cake is a royal pain, let me tell you. And I'm a scratch baker, so I tried and tried.

I ended up having to make 3 whole cakes in my 15" pan, and EVERY one sank badly in so many places that I had to use the "best" one and splice a big chunk of unsunken area from another into a sunken area on the third, in order to finish the bottom tier of that cake. They all sank no matter what I did...

I'll never make another marble wedding cake unless it's with a box mix. Those work fine. I did one of those too, and it turned out fine.

SCPATTICAKESCREACTIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCPATTICAKESCREACTIONS Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 6

Scoobam,
I am in desperate search of a good moist scratch layer that doesn't have the texture of cornbread. Is this recipe smooth and moist? I have tried all the old classics I can find (Williamsburg layer, 1-2-3-4, and even a 2-2-2-5) and I always get the same result! Also how long do you usually beat it in the end (after all ingredients are incorporated)??
thanks patticakes

scoobam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobam Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 11:02pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much.

Courtney thanks for the tip... I would have thought using real chocolate would have been better... but I am going to stick to the powder for now!!

Hope I have some luck. Any clue How much I should add?? I think I will read a cake mix box when I go to the store and see if I can figure it out. LOL

Patticakes... I have actually not made this recipe yet.. so I will let you know!! I have been wanting to try it!

I have two yelllows that I love so far.. one is Toba Garretts.. but it does have buttermilk, so you get a little of that cornbread thing you are trying to get away from.

and the other is the Ultimate butter yellow cake, sarah phillips... LOVE this cake!! it is a dense cake...but very smooth and moist... it tastes to me like flavorful butter cookies... very yummy if you are going for buttery.

I am hoping to add a more "plain" type yellow to my collection... so I thought I would try this one. I'll let you know how it goes. I know wherever I got it it got good reviews.. but I can't remember where.. may have been here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%