Red Velvet Box Cake Mix

Decorating By CakesbyJam Updated 8 Jul 2007 , 7:44pm by FrostinGal

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 1:47am
post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

What is butavan? A flavoring?

Butavan is a butter/vanilla emulsion. It makes everything yummy! Available from Sugarcraft.

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 3:29am
post #32 of 38

I e-mailed Paula Deen's site to see if you could use her Red Velvet cupcake recipe for a regular Red velvet cake. Haven't heard back yet. Her Red velvet cupcake recipe uses 1 and 1/2 cups of oil,( She says that's what makes them so feakin' good) no butter. The cake recipe uses Butter. Haven't tried the cake recipe yet, but the cupcakes are just Yummy!

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 3:51am
post #33 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesbyJam

ok CC'rs......This is the recipe I made for RV..and I made cupcakes instead of a cake...AND THEY ARE DELISH!!!!!!

DH RV
4 eggs
1 1/4 c buttermilk
white choc. instant pudding
1/3 c oil
1 1/2 t Butavan

Thanks to all who offered their ideas thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

You guys are lifesavers as usual. I have to make this same cake for Saturday. What icing did you use? And can I cover it with fondant/RBC without any problems (e.g. will it hold)?

CakesbyJam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyJam Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 1:04pm
post #34 of 38

twoten173.....I just used my BC icing, I think some people use cream cheese icing? Don't know about fondant..but why not? Good luck!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 1:07pm
post #35 of 38

Thanks for the info, steplite and surfergina!

I think I'm going to be baking some RV cupcakes this weekend. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks!
Sherri

CakesbyJam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyJam Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 1:10pm
post #36 of 38

Sorry...I spelled your name wrong!!!! Left out "o" geezzzzzz

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 2:26pm
post #37 of 38

I did a major baking test with Red Velvet cakes one time. I used 3 different scratch recipes, and several doctored recipes. Here's what I found to work best (for me anyway).

(1) pkg DH Red Velvet Cake Mix

3/4 cup buttermilk

1/2 cup water

1/3 cup veg oil

4 eggs

1 pkg cheesecake instant pudding mix (chocolate makes it too muddy looking and too chocolatey -confirmed by a red velvet cake lover)

1 tsp pure vanilla extract

1T cocoa (the buttermilk and the pudding take away some of the chocolate flavor but this won't turn it muddy looking, I've also left it out for someone who "didn't like chocolate cake" and they loved this)

Baked at 325 convection till done.
This recipe baked up the best, some of the others one didn't rise very much, and some of the scratch ones were very oily in my opinion, plus I didn't have to mess with opening those bottles of red food coloring. This one was my top pick of about 10 different scratch/doctored cakes.

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 7:44pm
post #38 of 38

This week I had a tasting for my first red velvet cake. YIKES! I researched different recipes and finally came up with my own doctoring.

1 box BC yellow cake mix
3 eggs
1 c. milk
1 c. sour cream
1/4 c. cocoa powder - I used Ghirardhelli
1/3 c. oil
3/4 teaspoon Red gel paste
(The eggs and the oil were the amounts called for on the box.)

It literally had a velvety texture and my bride and her family loved it, and my next two brides loved it so much, they chose it as one of their flavors, even though it had never been mentioned before by either of us! No heavy chocolate taste, either.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%