Lumpy Mmf

Decorating By kymscakes Updated 21 Oct 2008 , 10:36pm by MacsMom

kymscakes Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 6

Ok, so I was trying to work this out myself and I can't fix it.
The last few times I made mmf, I got lots and lots of sugar lumps, small ones, about the size of a bb. I have sifted my sugar, sometimes more than once and it doesn't seem to help. so now I am wondering if it is the temperature of my marshmellows when I am combining the two. I used to always melt my marshmellows in a double boiler but now I have started to do them in the microwave, I am not sure if for some reason that has created the change.
once I knead the stuff, for about an hour it feels like, they tend to dissolve, but I have never had to do that before.
any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Kym

5 replies
kimberlina25 Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 6

are you doing everything the same way as you did when you melted them in the double boiler? are you using the mmf recipe from here?

sbarri Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 6

MAYBE TRY HEATING MARSHMALLOWS IN MICROWAVE A LITTLE LONGER...30 SECOND INTERVALS...I TRY THIS AND IT WORKS FOR ME..I ALSO USE IMPERIAL POWDER SUGAR. MAYBE THE BRAND MAKES A DIFFERENCE??? GOOD LUCK...

jescapades Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 6

i just made mmf just now and for the first time, it did that to me too... i've never had that problem before... icon_sad.gif

Trixyinaz Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 10:06pm
post #5 of 6

My last batch did that too, and I've always used the microwave to melt my MM. I figured it was b/c I didn't knead it enough. My last batch didn't come out at all....had to throw it away, but it wasn't b/c of the PS lumps.

MacsMom Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 6

Remedy: Start out by mixing in a small amount of PS at first (maybe 1/4 c to 1/2 c). This helps absorb moisture so that when you add more the PS won't tend to roll itself into little balls.

I always use Wal Mart brand but recently they were out, so I tried Target's brand and I did notice tiny balls wanting to form. I just kept adding a small amount at a time and avoided having them embedded in the MMF when finished.

FYI: If you overheat the marshmallows you risk your MMF getting too hard. It happened to me once. The MMF became too hard from accidentally overcooking and required less PS, so when I softened it in the microwave it became too sticky.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%