Questionable Reactions

Decorating By ByTheSlice Updated 4 Jul 2007 , 5:52pm by Pootchi

ByTheSlice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ByTheSlice Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 19

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but today I delivered a cake and I could not tell if she liked it or not. It makes me feel terrible. What do you all think? It's in my pics, called USA. I tried to attach it, but they said it had too many pixels. It was for a family BBQ. usaribbon.gif

18 replies
vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 19

That is one beautiful cake icon_biggrin.gif There is no reason she shouldn't be happy with it.

Val

allycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allycook Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 19

I think it is lovely. She needs glasses if she doesn't think so also.

tonyab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonyab Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 19

I love it! Sometimes people just dont show too much emotion and I think we sometimes expect them to, as we have put in hours and hours of work! I wouldnt take it personally. The stars on top are a great touch!!!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:41pm
post #5 of 19

I don't know why some people are like that and it just seems as if when they see a cake it's "just nice". I get that from some of my in-laws. My husband's cousins and aunts see a cake that I've done and say, "Oh, that's pretty", and nothing else. They don't say anything about the taste (well some of them). Especially one of his aunts. She saw one of my cakes and mentioned that she had bought a kit, too. I have a history of arguing with this one, so I let it go, but I wanted to buy a Wilton kit and hit her off the side of the head with it!

Your cake is lovely and you did a fantastic job! You should be very proud of your work. Sometimes I think that people who don't comment are just jealous. There's nothing not to like about your cake, so don't worry.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:43pm
post #6 of 19

First off, that cake is way cute and an original design for the fourth, not the usual flag and stripes ya know? I would love that cake, by the way.....if she don't want it I do!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:43pm
post #7 of 19

Your cake is beautiful. I agree with tonyab. To some it's just a cake, or she may have had other stresses on her mind. I'm sure she loved it as much as we do. icon_smile.gif

Lenore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenore Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:45pm
post #8 of 19

It is a very nice cake. I could not see any reason why she would not like it. Perhaps she is the hostess of the picnic and was just so distracted by all the responsibility that she did not have time to think to pay you any compliments. I think you should feel good about this cake and forget her obviously thoughtless reaction.

tasty_treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasty_treats Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:46pm
post #9 of 19

I don't know what was wrong with the lady, I think the cake is beautiful! icon_biggrin.gif

Like Tonyab said, people don't realize the amount of work (and talent) that goes into making these custom cakes.

Too funny, Sugar_Plum_Fairy "I wanted to buy a Wilton kit and hit her off the side of the head with it!" icon_lol.gif

allycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allycook Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:47pm
post #10 of 19

I find I do take it personally because it is such an extension and expression of myself, not to mention the hours put into it. I tend to be an expressive person and have to realize not everyone is like that. Just realize that some people are more subdued and it isn't a reflection on your cake. Get your strokes from others, like us fellow CC'ers.

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:49pm
post #11 of 19

I think it's a very nice cake and maybe the only thing I would change is make the top tier stripes red instead of blue. But honestly, some people are hard to "read" and it's more likely that your customer was just distracted. I bet everyone at the BBQ is really wow-ing over it!

Daisys_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisys_Cakes Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:49pm
post #12 of 19

I agree with tonyab. Don't worry about her reaction, that is an absolutely flawless cake, how could she not love it?! thumbs_up.gif

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:50pm
post #13 of 19

I thought your cake was beautiful! thumbs_up.gif

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:55pm
post #14 of 19

I had that happen once too. After staying up half the night working on a cake that I thought came out great, the woman it was for had just the reaction you described. I was a little deflated, until the next day when I received an email from her saying it was the best cake she'd ever had, her guests loved it, it was the highlight of the party, she wanted to take me out for coffee to say thanks (although she paid me for the cake), etc. I found out later that the woman's father had just been hospitalized in another state plus they were in the midst of closing on a home. So maybe your client just had a lot on her mind - I wouldn't sweat it, your cake looks awesome!

Bec

Lostinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lostinalaska Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:58pm
post #15 of 19

wELL i THINK YOUR CAKE IS VERY PRETTY IF SHE HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT SHE IS CRAZY.

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 5:01pm
post #16 of 19

I guess we don't get all effusive when a mechanic fixes our car or we get our carpets laid or whatever? To some people they're buying a product and that's it. Sometimes you have to get your own satisfaction out of it and not rely on anyone else to boost you. I've also had people have cakes and not seemed overly pleased, but I have been and have another cake in my portfolio so just have to shrug that one off.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 5:10pm
post #17 of 19

Honestly, I think it all boils down to how rude and entitled we have be come as a society.

I had it drilled into my head to always say please and thank-you. I have drilled it into my kids. I actually have had stunned looks come back at me when I say thank you at the grocery store when they had me my receipt... Or..when the waitress brings me my order. Try it when you run into a fast food place and say please and thanks to a 16 yr old...leaves them bewildered!

We just expect it. We figure if we gave you money it must be ok. Lost is common courtesy.

That woman treated you as she would the UPS man dropping off something the ordered.

Make it a point to say please and thanks, and pass on a good word. I make it a point to say something nice to nearly everyone I come into contact with.

Let's be the change we need in this world. CCer's UNITE! thumbs_up.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 5:36pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

I had it drilled into my head to always say please and thank-you. I have drilled it into my kids. I actually have had stunned looks come back at me when I say thank you at the grocery store when they had me my receipt... Or..when the waitress brings me my order. Try it when you run into a fast food place and say please and thanks to a 16 yr old...leaves them bewildered!

I say please nd thank you whenever we go out everytime the waiter/waitress brings something to our table or takes it away, I find we get a lot better service for just some common courtesy. To bad it is going to the wayside anymore

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 5:52pm
post #19 of 19

I had a customer once that you just couldn't tell if she was happy or not. I got so discouraged after she left... Only to learn the next day by someone that was at the party, that the lady just raved about my cake and was telling everyone that it was even better than she thought it would be! Sometimes , I guess customers are a little shy around us, that's all.... your cake is wonderful BTW!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%