Non Star Tip Character Cake Decorating-Photos

Decorating By SheilaF Updated 23 Jan 2015 , 4:07am by Nannykaren1951

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 19

OK krysoco (and anyone else who is interested) here are a few of the step by step photos I took when I was doing Sponge Bob. I kind of got wrapped up in the process and forgot to take photos after each step, but it gives you a basic idea. I started with frosting and smoothing the background and sides of the cake. Then started in on Bob, smoothing each area after I filled it in. Hope that helps to make this technique more understandable icon_smile.gif
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

18 replies
PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 7:33pm
post #2 of 19

Strong work there! Well done, indeed!

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 19

hey i have a question i was planning on doing star tips on a cake i need to make for this weekend, but i would really like the smooth look .. it is a camoflaged(?) cake .. how would you make that look smooth, yet in all different shapes and colors to get that effect of camoflage(?)?

SheilaF Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 19

Thanks. I've just never been a fan of the star tip on character cakes. They hurt to much on my wrist and take to long IMO. icon_smile.gif

SheilaF Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 7:37pm
post #5 of 19

Do you have an outline you are using for the star tip? I'd just fill in with a round tip instead and either press each area flat, or brush it till any lines are smoothed out THEN press it down.

katharry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharry Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 7:38pm
post #6 of 19

Looks amazing, what buttercream do you use? And what consistency? I have real trouble even getting the sides smooth.

I love the look

SheilaF Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 7:39pm
post #7 of 19

I tend to use the all crisco buttercream recipe. Or a thicker recipe for the half butter half crisco recipe. I find (after it crusts over) for a totally smooth effect, the fondant smoother is an excellent tool. I just press it into the cake, lift up and gently press the next area. Works REALLY well on the sides of a cake especially.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 7:40pm
post #8 of 19

thanks sheila .. i think i will try that .. i think it will look more "professional" then just a simple star tip!

krysoco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krysoco Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 9:52pm
post #9 of 19

Thanks so much. Ive been wondering how to achieve this effect. Thanks for the tips. Will have to try it.

tmassey5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmassey5 Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 2:31am
post #10 of 19

hey i have a question i was planning on doing star tips on a cake i need to make for this weekend, but i would really like the smooth look .. it is a camoflaged(?) cake .. how would you make that look smooth, yet in all different shapes and colors to get that effect of camoflage(?)?

I have made this cake if it helps. my version of camo anyway icon_biggrin.gif
just a side note--I didn't have the camo toys until the customer picked it up--I would have matched the colors better!
LL

CrystalsCakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrystalsCakes5 Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 2:42am
post #11 of 19

Sheilaf

I wanted to ask a question about the first picture,

Did you ice the whole cake black and then the white, or is your actual cake that dark?

Thanks

deijha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deijha Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 4:15pm
post #12 of 19

TheCakerator
When I did my camoflauge cake I put differnt colors of icing in different places then kinda smeared it together, it worked pretty well. There is a picture of it in my photos.
Jeanne

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 4:19pm
post #13 of 19

What a great job! Thank you for the tutorial. Seeing SB come to life prior to luch is scary though icon_biggrin.gif

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 5:55pm
post #14 of 19

how did you see the outline of things? Is it iced in black or is it choc. cake? It looks so hard to see where to outline.... esp. after you've iced some parts of it.....

tlnewman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlnewman Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 12:50am
post #15 of 19

WOW! Great job!!

SheilaF Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 6:42am
post #16 of 19

crystalcakes, it's a chocolate cake. It's not as hard to see the outline as it looks in the photos. Sorry I didn't answer earlier, but I've been working on a couple cakes for today and tomorrow, so I have not had much time to check online too.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 3:58am
post #17 of 19

I see you used the red from the tube. Do you like it better than making red?

SheilaF Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 7:00am
post #18 of 19

I can't make a true red, so yes, when I need red or black, I use the ones from a tube. They work well.

Nannykaren1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nannykaren1951 Posted 23 Jan 2015 , 4:07am
post #19 of 19

These are a couple of camo cakes I have done.  Easy peasy.  Just put on blobs of icing and smooth with Viva paper towel.

Some camo cakes I have done.  Very easy.  Just put on blobs of icing and smooth with VIVA paper towel.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%