Need Coloring Help! 2 Questions.

Decorating By tobycat Updated 25 Jan 2014 , 2:13pm by cutiger

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 5:05am
post #1 of 12

1. I've got one cake that needs NAVY -- do they sell this color separately or do I need to make it? If so, how do I make it? It's for a fireman, so it's the kind of blue used on their seal.

2. Anyone ever heard of Palm Beach Coral? It's kind of like a burnt orange, so I'm told, but I've never seen it. Any ideas how to make it.

3. And finally, how do I make sage green?

TIA

S.

11 replies
tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 7:21am
post #2 of 12

CC sells Americolor in navy. Can't help with the rest.

I need help making fuscia or hot pink BC, can anyone help?

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 9:30am
post #3 of 12

when i make navy, i start with royal blue and add a little bit of rose until i get the desired color.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 9:35am
post #4 of 12

got this from wilton.com

Icing the Cake
Icing Color Chart

When mixing color always mix a small amount of color to experiment. Start with base color and then add very small amounts of secondary color. Be sure to mix enough color for the cakes to be decorated as it is difficult to match an exact color.

ANTIQUE GOLD Add just an extremely small touch of Leaf Green to Golden Yellow

AQUA Sky Blue and Leaf Green

AVOCADO Use Moss Green color

BLACK Our paste color or Royal Blue, Christmas Red, Orange and Lemon

CHARTREUSE 9 parts Lemon Yellow, 1 part Leaf Green

CORAL Creamy peach and a touch of pink or orange and a touch of pink.

FLESH Add just an extremely small touch of Copper to white icing. Ivory can also be used. Light pink with a small amount of brown.

GRAY Add just a touch of Black to white icing.

HUNTER GREEN Kelly Green and a touch of Black

JADE Leaf green, Royal Blue and a touch of Black

LAVENDER Pink and Violet

MARIGOLD Lemon Yellow and Orange

MAROON Burgundy and Red Red

MAUVE Touch of Burgundy with very little Black.

MISTY GREEN Leaf Green, Royal Blue and a touch of Black

MOSS GREEN Our paste color or Violet and Lemon Yellow

MULBERRY Mix Rose with a touch of Royal Blue.

NAVY BLUE Royal Blue and Black

PERIWINKLE Royal Blue and Violet

PLUM Use violet with a touch of Christmas red.

RASPBERRY Pink and Red Red

RUST Orange, Red Red and Brown

SILVER We do not advise attempting to simulate silver color in icing. Instead, add silver leaves or other silver accessories to the cake.

TEAL Use teal paste color or Lemon Yellow and Sky Blue

TURQUOISE Sky Blue and Lemon Yellow

WARM GOLD Use Golden Yellow with just a touch of brown.

Tartacadabra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tartacadabra Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 10:55am
post #5 of 12

Well, you already got a lot of answers I see icon_wink.gif

SAGE GREEN: green and brown (2times green, 1time brown icon_wink.gif ).

Good luck!

Lara

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 1:37pm
post #6 of 12

My local high school's colors are navy and silver, so come graduation time, I do LOTS of navy! I really like Americolor Navy for coloring bc, but am still having a devil of time making navy fondant. Grrrr!

For sage green, I just use Wilton juniper or moss green.

As for the palm coral - any time I don't know what a color is, I ask the customer for a sample. You shouldn't be expected to read anyone's mind.

tyty - For hot pink, I mix Wilton pink with Americolor electric pink. Neither is deep enough on their own, but together, they're fabulous.

tyty Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:50pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

My local high school's colors are navy and silver, so come graduation time, I do LOTS of navy! I really like Navy for coloring bc, but am still having a devil of time making navy fondant. Grrrr!

As for the palm coral - any time I don't know what a color is, I ask the customer for a sample. You shouldn't be expected to read anyone's mind.

tyty - For hot pink, I mix Wilton pink with electric pink. Neither is deep enough on their own, but together, they're fabulous.

Thanks for your reply but I don't have Americolor electric pink. I ordered some new colors but I'm pretty sure that's not one of them. I can get the Wilton color. I will call the cake supply and see if they have the electric pink. If I can't get the electric pink is there another Wilton color I can use? I need to make this color very soon.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 5:00pm
post #8 of 12

Thank you everyone -- this gives me a lot to work with!

S.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 6:01pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

My local high school's colors are navy and silver, so come graduation time, I do LOTS of navy! I really like Navy for coloring bc, but am still having a devil of time making navy fondant. Grrrr!

tyty - For hot pink, I mix Wilton pink with electric pink. Neither is deep enough on their own, but together, they're fabulous.

Thanks for your reply but I don't have electric pink. I ordered some new colors but I'm pretty sure that's not one of them. I can get the Wilton color. I will call the cake supply and see if they have the electric pink. If I can't get the electric pink is there another Wilton color I can use? I need to make this color very soon.

In that case, I'd suggest loading up on the Wilton pink. That's what I used to do before I discovered the Americolor electrics and it worked fine.

tyty Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 12:31pm
post #10 of 12

Thank you so much, I will contact the cake supply and see if they have the electric pink. I hope they do. I can pick it up when I get off work.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 24 Jan 2014 , 6:01pm
post #11 of 12

I know this is an old thread but I just found it, thank you!!!

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 2:13pm
post #12 of 12

Americolor has an Electric Pink that you could try.  It turns out really pretty.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%