Question About Measuring Shortening

Decorating By SophieBelle Updated 4 Jul 2007 , 6:24pm by peg818

SophieBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SophieBelle Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 3:29am
post #1 of 24

Do any of you clever people have any shortcuts or tips for measuring shortening?

23 replies
Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 3:34am
post #2 of 24

I'm so glad you asked this question because I have found something that I can't live without now that I'm doing more and more cakes. It's a #8 scoop from a restaurant supply store. The #8 is exactly 1/2 C in size and releases the shortening easily. It looks like an ice cream scoop and comes in several sizes and costs around $6 - $9.

This keeps you from having to touch the shortening with your hands or use a 2nd utensil to release the shortening from a measuring cup. Each 1/2 C is exact and you can drag it level by using the inside edge of the shortening can.

I teach Wilton cake decorating and I recommend it to all my students.

mrsdawnwhite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsdawnwhite Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 3:45am
post #3 of 24

I use what's called a "wonder cup" you can get either the one or two cup.. You fill it with shortening and the it pops it out so you don't have to touch the shortening...

If I can find a picture I will post it.. It's great for everything you can even measure liquids in it..

Dawn

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 3:48am
post #4 of 24

Here's the wonder cup that works really well for measuring Crisco: http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/SearchResults.aspx?description=wonder%20cup&page=-1

Elizabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth19 Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 3:54am
post #5 of 24

Cookie4 - what a great idea. Do you purchase online or at a local supplier?
Thanks!

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 3:56am
post #6 of 24

I make big batches of icing so I found a bowl that holds exactly 4 cups of shortening. Every time I need to measure out shortening I line the bowl with saran wrap, fill the bowl then pull the saran wrap up empty into mixer and the bowl stays clean. No mess no fuss.

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 3:59am
post #7 of 24

I purchase at a local restaurant supplier called Ace Mart but I'm sure any restaurant supply store might have them. In fact just yesterday I was at Sur La Table (not sure of the exact spelling of that store) and I noticed they had some but they were much more expensive and I didn't see the 1/2 cup #8 size. Perhaps they were out of stock.

I love to tell people about this because you don't handle the shortening at all and when you do to use Dawn dishwashing soap to cut the grease. When I was first told about Dawn I thought, yea, yea, one soap is as good as another but that's not true. Dawn is used in oil spils on live animals and cuts the grease off your hands and out of the inside of your piping bags easily too. Hope this helps.

Deana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deana Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:05am
post #8 of 24

I'm a weigher... so I put my KA bowl on the scale - zero it out and then add 192 grams of shortening.. I do it first, so if I scoop in too much, then I can just scoop it back into the can. No extra bowls to clean.

klundberg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klundberg Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:31am
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deana

I'm a weigher... so I put my KA bowl on the scale - zero it out and then add 192 grams of shortening.. I do it first, so if I scoop in too much, then I can just scoop it back into the can. No extra bowls to clean.

I am a weigher too! Soooo much easier than trying to measure it into a cup and make sure there are no air pockets. Measuring it into a cup (even those ones that slide like from pampered chef) is such a pain!!

SophieBelle Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:40am
post #10 of 24

You all are so great! Thank you!

I like to use the weighing method, too, depending on the recipe. Now I have great tips for both ways. Thanks so much.

And any more ideas are still more than welcome! icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:46am
post #11 of 24

Weighing shortening is by far the easiest method of all, but another easy method is measuring by displacement.

Get a 4 cup glass Pyrex measuring cup and add 2 cups of water. Then add enough shortening so that the waterline goes up to 3 cups. Drain the water, and you're left with one cup of shortening.

But just get a good kitchen scale and don't worry about measuring it. icon_wink.gif

~ Sherri

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 5:14am
post #12 of 24

Am I the only eye-ball measurer? Two big glops off the end of a certain spoon per batch of icing! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif At my daughter's request, I measured the glops once ... and they came out to the "required" 1-1/3 cups.

Mama knows! thumbs_up.gif

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 5:38am
post #13 of 24

I'm a weigher too. No utensils or bowls needed - weighed right in the KA!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 5:57am
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Am I the only eye-ball measurer? Two big glops off the end of a certain spoon per batch of icing! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif At my daughter's request, I measured the glops once ... and they came out to the "required" 1-1/3 cups.

Mama knows! thumbs_up.gif

I prefer very consistent results, and weighing is foolproof. I used to eyeball things but prefer precision. icon_smile.gif

Sherri

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 12:58pm
post #15 of 24

I'm a weigher too icon_biggrin.gif One cup of shortening = 7 oz. Making buttercream became much, much less complicated when I started doing it that way.

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 1:17pm
post #16 of 24

My method works best of all! I buy ........ drumroll please......

CRISCO STICKS!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

they're already measured for me! and to me it's worth the extra cost in time savings and also in hot water and dishsoap money!!! icon_biggrin.gif

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 1:18pm
post #17 of 24

The pre-measured sticks are great, but they're twice the cost per ounce of the 48 oz tub, so the cost can really add up when you're making a lot of icing. icon_eek.gif

SophieBelle Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:42pm
post #18 of 24

I can't believe how many different ways you guys come up with to do the same job. It's amazing! I can't wait to try all of these. Just made a cake for my Grandmother's birthday and while I was making that icing, I thought of asking you all about the shortening. Wish I'd asked sooner.

My husband's birthday is this Saturday, though, so I'll have a chance to try something new. Now which clever technique to try first.....?

Thanks so much!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 5:01pm
post #19 of 24

I go with the old fashioned method. I run my measuring cup under very hot water, quickly dry off the inside and use a knife or spatula to fill it and pack it with the Crisco, then I use the knife or spatula to go around the inside of the measuring cup and more or less get all the Crisco out in one scoop. I find this method works very well for me.

When finished I soak my measuring cup in hot water, sometimes with dishwashing soap added and then it goes into my dishwasher when I clean up.

EricaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EricaT Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 5:59pm
post #20 of 24

indydebi, i am a globber too! but the scoop sounds really neat

robinleah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinleah Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 6:10pm
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Weighing shortening is by far the easiest method of all, but another easy method is measuring by displacement.

Get a 4 cup glass Pyrex measuring cup and add 2 cups of water. Then add enough shortening so that the waterline goes up to 3 cups. Drain the water, and you're left with one cup of shortening.

But just get a good kitchen scale and don't worry about measuring it. icon_wink.gif

~ Sherri

Sherri, What a great idea measuring by displacment. Never tried it. am going to try it to see if I can get a weight for my shorning. Right now I put in in a measuring cup and am tired of the mess.
Thanks for the thread.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 6:15pm
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie4

The #8 is exactly 1/2 C in size and releases the shortening easily. It looks like an ice cream scoop and comes in several sizes and costs around $6 - $9.

This keeps you from having to touch the shortening with your hands or use a 2nd utensil to release the shortening from a measuring cup. Each 1/2 C is exact and you can drag it level by using the inside edge of the shortening can.

That is exactly how I do it! The #8 scoop also portions out 1/4# portions as well, and that's how I make my burgers for the grill.

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 6:19pm
post #23 of 24

My scale is one of my best friends!! I use it to measure everything! I just used a coupon for my local Linens and Things and we have been best friends ever since!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 6:24pm
post #24 of 24

i use the scoop. Very easy to do. The scoops come in all different sizes, so if you don't need a 1/2 cup you can get one that is smaller or larger. OR if you already have a generic spring action ice cream scoop. Fill it with water and pour in to a measuring cup to find out how much it holds.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%