Help!!! What Size Pans Do I Need For Cake For 50?

Decorating By MommiesMunchies Updated 24 Aug 2006 , 4:58pm by twindees

MommiesMunchies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommiesMunchies Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 9

I promised to make a cake for 50 people for my friend's husband's birthday celebration this saturday. I have been out of work for two days because my back went out so I haven't started yet icon_cry.gif The only request that was made was that it has an image of an EAGLE on it icon_surprised.gif What size pans would I need to make a cake large enough for 50 people? icon_sad.gif Did I mention he is also the pastor that officiated over my wedding & my son's godfather??? (so I have to do it icon_cry.gif )

8 replies
smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 9

i am thinking a 12 inch round or the sheet cake that's a size up from 9x13, is it 11x15? or i think a 12 inch square is supposed to be enough, just have someone cut who knows HOW to cut a cake and doesn't just cut huge chunks of it. good luck

fourangelsmommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fourangelsmommie Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 9

I'm kinda new too and have only been decorating for a few months, but one of the easiest ways to decorate a cake for me has been to do a frozen buttercream transfer (FBCT).

There are many pictures online if you search for eagle pictures on yahoo or msn or google. Find one you like, print it out in reverse image or normally (just remember that it will be flipped over when you are finished), and then read the article on CC about FBCT's.

They are usually simple and when you are done, look great.

I can't help you with what size to bake for 50 people....I always seem to have plenty of cake, so I guess I over do it.

You can even check out my pics....they aren't great, but I think ok for a beginner. The werewolf is a FBCT, and so is the 'Cars' one.

Good Luck!

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 9

I would do a 12"X18", that should feed 50 no problem. If you torte it it will be perfect. You can do a frozen buttercream transfer of an eagle. I have not tried them yet but I know there is a tutorial on this sight.
Good luck and feel better soon!
Tracy

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 3:50pm
post #5 of 9

Just for ease I would do a one layer sheetcake - I made that for a party of 60 but I think only about 30 people showed up - anyway, it would have fed at least 50 - there was lots of cake left over when I left..... and that was just w/ one layer - if you want to torte, that's up to you but I think it's kinda difficult to torte sheetcakes so if you're just trying to do something fast, easy, but good- I would go with one layer.

As far as the eagle- everyone here has the right idea - do a frozen buttercream transfer. Look at the tutorial on this site under articles and it's pretty good at explaining everything. Just make sure you pick a picture that DOES NOT have a ton of colors or is very detailed - try to find a children's coloring page one or something like that.

Good luck!

doc_farms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doc_farms Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 3:52pm
post #6 of 9

If you go by Earlenes serving chart, which I hear is pretty accurate, you would want to do a 12" and a 6".

Maybe you could do the eagle as a FBCT...? Or if you have a cake store near you that will do an edible image, that would look nice as well.

Here is a link to a eagle made with the star tip: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=search&search=eagle&cat=0&pos=17&search=eagle

Here is a FBCT: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=search&search=eagle&cat=0&pos=16&search=eagle

Here is an edible image:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=search&search=eagle&cat=0&pos=18&search=eagle

Let us know what you decide and good luck!

Miah

PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 3:55pm
post #7 of 9

Well party serving sizes and wedding serving sized are different. a 12 inch round cake will serve 18-24 people for a party (a 2 layer cake, about 2 inches tall).

(a 12 inch wedding cake serves more b/c it is about 4 inches tall and sliced differently)

MommiesMunchies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommiesMunchies Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 4:18pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you so much for your help. I am torn between the edible image & the piping gel outline.

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 4:58pm
post #9 of 9

I say do the piping gel outline. For some reason I do not like the FBCT. It's not a clean finish TO ME. The edible image is also good if you can find one you like in such a short period of time.

Good Luck & Please let us know what you decide on and post the finished product.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%