Help Me With This Lady

Decorating By heavenscent Updated 9 Jul 2007 , 9:06am by Arty

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 11:53pm
post #1 of 37

ok please read the emails that have been between me & a prospective new client. I think she is crazy tell me how I should handle this or am I being to unreasonable? Thanks

Hi,
> > > > >Can you make a surfboard cake? I'd like one for my son's 1st
>birthday
> > >but
> > > > >haven't found a place that can do that yet.
> > > > >let me know
she wants a sculpted cake to feed 30 people

>What are your prices? Can you tell me a little about the flavor of
the
> > >cake? Is there a way I can taste it?

my response
At this time I do not
have a
> > >store that I bake out of,just my house. Unforutantlely I do not
have
>the
> > >resources at this point to be able to do tastings for birthdays.
But I
>do
> > >have a referal list that I can give you. As far as pricing goes I
need
>to
> > >know how many people you need to serve

her response
That all sounds great...We are looking at a cake serving around 30
> >people.

my response

Sounds great. As far as cost goes I will have to use fairly large
pan so
> >that I can carve the surf board. It will be two layers so the cost
will
>be
> >45.00. Just let me know/

her response
What if we made a mini surf board cake for my son to eat and then
had a
>simple sheet cake for the 30 people? how would that change the price

my response

Sorry I am just getting back to you I had a wedding cake this weekend
which
>was nice, but made for a hectic weekend around here. As far as the
changes
>you are talking about it really would be about the same. I not only
have to
>take into account what it cost me to me make it
>but how long it will take me to make it. Even if we did a shaped cake
for
>him & a sheet cake it would take me about the same time to decorate
the two
>cakes. I understand that you want to make your sons 1st birthday
memorable.
>But I assure you a specialty cake like you are talking about would
easily
>run you closer to sixty & up from a bakery. They can be very time
consuming
>which is why most places will not do them. Let me know if I can answer
any
>other questions you may have

her response
Let me clarify, I was looking for just a plain white sheet cake, no
decor
for all the 30 people but only a small surf board cake decorated for my
son.
Sorry I wasn't specific on the previous email. If that is what you
meant
than forgive and disregard my clarification.

What should I tell her she just does not get it sorry so long but please help. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

36 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 37

omg, don't you just want to beat them with a spatula?

It's not the cost of the cake. It's the cost of the labor involved. I dont' care if it's a cake to feed 10 or to feed 30 ..... the labor is the same.

You are not buying the cake .... you are buying the talent.

Ok.. I don't know how you word that in a a "nice" way (that's not really my forte icon_redface.gif ), but you get the drift.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 12:01am
post #3 of 37

Tell her something like "a large sheetcake for 30 is $30 (or more) and the small surf board would be $25 (or more). When you add the two together, then $45 will be a bargain.

Consider what you'd really charge her, this is the first of many birthdays!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 12:06am
post #4 of 37

icon_confused.gificon_eek.gif

Dear X:

Both options would be $45. Please let me know by 7/7/07 if you would like to book this date. Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

(A lesson I learned at the Super Target this weekend watching a young checkout boy arguing with a very angry customer -- never argue with the customer. It's not up to you to justify your prices. Tell her what the cost is and when you need to know so you can open up your date for other bookings if you're "too expensive" for her (lol))

EricaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EricaT Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 12:08am
post #5 of 37

so she thinks she would pay less for 2 cakes than she would for just 1...that makes no sense

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 12:11am
post #6 of 37

Why are some people just so dense! lol I'd gently, nicely explain to her that the sheet cake costs $x.xx amount by it self, the sculpted cake costs $x.xx amount by it self. When you put those two together it's over $60.~ so you getting them both for $45.~-$50.~ is a great deal, seeing as no one else in town is willing to do a surf board cake for you, I'd be happy to fill your order but I'm sorry I can not do it for less then _____.

Stand strong and firm, don't lie down and let her walk all over you. You don't NEED her order... she NEEDS you!!! icon_wink.gif

heavenscent Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 12:12am
post #7 of 37

I am about to beat her with everything I have in my kitchen. I am about to tell her sorry that date just filled up. icon_evil.gif

Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 12:19am
post #8 of 37

At $45 she was getting a bargin either way...

Just e-mail back and say it is $45....Nothing else...The Dumb woman is trying to nickle and dime you! You are not selling your cakes at a flea market or a yard sale. You are not Monty Hall and this in not "Let's Make A Deal"! icon_mad.gif

The cost is $45 which is a bragin! When my customers bitch about the price of carved cakes, I send them to Charm City Web site, so they can get a reality check!!! I know I am no Duff, but I am not getting paid like him eaither! icon_cool.gif

Elizabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth19 Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 12:21am
post #9 of 37

too funny, I love people like this..... NOT.

Keep us posted, Im curious to see where this one goes!

Cheesefairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheesefairy Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 12:25am
post #10 of 37

I guess I'm the only one who didn't think her email was that bad? I read it as she was just double checking again to make sure there wasn't any confusion about her second request on the sheet cake and small surfboard cake. She did say, "If that is what you meant than forgive and disregard my clarification. "

Maybe she thought when you said, "Even if we did a shaped cake
for him & a sheet cake it would take me about the same time to decorate
the two cakes."
that you were thinking she wanted you to "decorate" the sheet cake in some fancy manner and that's why she asked again to say she was thinking of a plain sheet cake.

I agree to just let her know it was $45 for either option.

wysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wysmommy Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 12:29am
post #11 of 37

Is it weird that I'm dying to hear how this works out? I find this woman fascinating. Who thinks 2 cakes are less than 1 cake?

Maybe you should write back and say "If I follow your thinking, and I think I do here...the cost of 2 cakes is less than 1 cake, which would mean 3 cakes is a real bargain and if I make you 6 cakes it would be free. If you'd like 9 cakes, I think I actually would have to pay you."

what is wrong with people?

If it makes you feel any better, I delivered a cake with a boat on it today, which the mother and I have been in contact about for a month. She requested a cake with boat on it. The father was there when I dropped the cake off and he took one look at it and said "oh, does Lucas like boats?" I'm like...um..he's your one year old, not mine, I have no idea. Geez. Then when I told him it needed to be refrigerated, which the mother also knew about, he opened the fridge and said "I don't think it's going to fit in there right now, any suggestions what I do with it?" Um.....yeah...a couple, but I'm going to keep them to myself.

anorris3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anorris3 Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 12:29am
post #12 of 37

I would charge her more if you were going to do 2 cakes.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 12:35am
post #13 of 37

Be also prepared with your response if she decides to get the sheet cake somewhere else and the small surf board cake from you.

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 12:48am
post #14 of 37

Good point miriel. As Iwas reading I went Duh! This woman needs help. She has no clue that she is paying for your labor. can't wait to read the outcome.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 1:26am
post #15 of 37

I don't see why anyone got bent out of shape. She asked a question, tried to minimize cost. Misunderstood the wording and reclarified herself. she doesn't know how much work you put it in. She's not a cake baker. I think in all she was very polite.

anorris3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anorris3 Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 1:31am
post #16 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by julzs71

I don't see why anyone got bent out of shape. She asked a question, tried to minimize cost. Misunderstood the wording and reclarified herself. she doesn't know how much work you put it in. She's not a cake baker. I think in all she was very polite.

This lady does not want to pay $45 for the cake. She says if we do this how does that change the price. She is in a round about way trying to find out how to get a cheaper cake. It would have probably saved a couple of emails had she just said this is my budget can you do it. To me $45 seems very reasonable for a cake to feed 30.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 1:39am
post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefairy

I guess I'm the only one who didn't think her email was that bad? I read it as she was just double checking again to make sure there wasn't any confusion about her second request on the sheet cake and small surfboard cake. She did say, "If that is what you meant than forgive and disregard my clarification. "

Maybe she thought when you said, "Even if we did a shaped cake
for him & a sheet cake it would take me about the same time to decorate
the two cakes."
that you were thinking she wanted you to "decorate" the sheet cake in some fancy manner and that's why she asked again to say she was thinking of a plain sheet cake.

I agree to just let her know it was $45 for either option.

I agree with this. I am always trying to get a better deal myself! You never know what people will give you unless you ask. Sounds like she is just trying to feel out her options. I do agree that $45 is very reasonable, but non cake decorators just dont realize the labor and cost involved. I would just tell her you price, no need to justify and if she wants it great, if not she can keep shopping!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 1:53am
post #18 of 37

I won't comment on the tone of the emails but here is my comment on the pricing.

Carved cake for 30 ppl at $3/serving = $90 (starting price depending on how much I would have to cut off of the cake)

Sheet cake for 30 ppl at $1.50/serving = $50.00 (single layer cake no filling ONLY buttercream icing)
Small carved cake (probably a minimum of 8 servings by the time I bake a cake and carve it there will be wasted cake) $4.00/serving = $32.00

So her option from me would be $90 or $82.00

As for an email I would stop explaining why your prices are the way they are (for me this turns me off and makes me think you are trying to sell something to me, she already contacted you and wants to buy, she just needs to make sure it is in her budget) Just state "For your requested cake the cost is $___ I will need to know by ____ to make sure I can reserve the date for you and meet your request"

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 3:17am
post #19 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by wysmommy

"If I follow your thinking, and I think I do here...the cost of 2 cakes is less than 1 cake, which would mean 3 cakes is a real bargain and if I make you 6 cakes it would be free. If you'd like 9 cakes, I think I actually would have to pay you."

wysmommy, that's funny!

heavenscent Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:27am
post #20 of 37

It's not that she was not polite it's just the fact she wants something for nothing. Think about how many hours it takes you to decorate a cake. I always bake 2 days before the event decorate the following day so it can properly cool & deliver on the day of the event. So that's about an hour & a half to two hours the first day with prep cooking time & clean up. About an hour to an hour & half electricty I have to pay for to bake it depending on size of the cake. Then another couple of hours to prep decorate & clean a kitchen. For me I have not charged enough for my cakes fro a long time. I just refuse to do it anymore. Thanks for helping me stick to my guns guys. icon_biggrin.gif

heavenscent Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:30am
post #21 of 37

Maybe you should write back and say "If I follow your thinking, and I think I do here...the cost of 2 cakes is less than 1 cake, which would mean 3 cakes is a real bargain and if I make you 6 cakes it would be free. If you'd like 9 cakes, I think I actually would have to pay you

Wynsmommy love it to funny

PRcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PRcakes Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:34am
post #22 of 37

I understand both sides!!!! Working with customer service shows you a lot of stuff, and that something we all need, not everytime were going to have valuable customers that are willing to pay a lot of money on cakes, because there not experts on the theme. And even if we dont agree with them we need to make sure to be nice...not throw her with any spatula or anything because that have a name "CUSTOMER SERVICE" and sometimes we dont see that were customers ourselves!!! and even if you dont need her business today you might tomorrow!

And just saying this, I think she wasnt a beeatch or anything close! IMHO you just need to make sure that either way is going to be $45 and you need a prompt answer so you can reserve her spot, make sure to ask for a non-refundable deposit just in case, and we all have to deal with customers like that!!!!!

PRcakes Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:37am
post #23 of 37

and I think $45 is really cheap cake!!!!

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:48am
post #24 of 37

One possible email idea for your response...

Dear xxxx,
I understand your idea of a less decorated sheet cake, but downsizing the surfboard cake does not cut down on the work involved. My prices are per slice with the sculpted cake factored into the total cost. To feed 30 people will work out at $45 with either concept as the serving size is the same.
If I can help with either request, just let me know.
Kind Regards
xxxx

PRcakes Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:53am
post #25 of 37

That actually a very nice answer!!!!Congratulations Keira im going to copy paste that!!!!!!I might use it from time to time!!!

heavenscent Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 5:01am
post #26 of 37

keira you are my hero beautiful response. Thanks for the suggestion I will let you know what happens thanks again

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 5:07am
post #27 of 37

I always ask for a better deal. I never ask for a detailed list. I do check and see if I can get the same thing for a lower price. Kinda like getting the no name cereal versus general Mills. Just remember when you are at the store that you look for coupons or whats on sale. She is doing the exact same thing.
I think your prices are very reasonable. I actually would have charged more.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 5:08am
post #28 of 37

Kiera, that's pretty much my philosophy, too. "You're getting the same amount of cake, no matter what pan I bake it in."

ccwkg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccwkg Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 5:11am
post #29 of 37

I think it is time to chat on the phone. Sometimes things can get lost or misinterpreted in an e-mail. It is much easier to determine someone's needs when you are hearing their voice. This may just be a case of a person who needs to be educated in the wonderful world of cake. Cake 101 can be understanded much easier when taken over the phone. Good luck!

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 11:26am
post #30 of 37

It may just be me....but the email exchange sounds confusing. I am taking your response to the shaped cake, no matter what the size, is $45 and the sheet cake priced separate. In other words, I don't think this lady understood what the total price of the small shaped cake and the sheet cake is. I agree with ccwkg....converse over the phone to clear up any confusion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%