Help! No Flour Or Wax Paper.....

Decorating By Crystalm Updated 4 Jul 2007 , 4:10am by katwomen1up

Crystalm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crystalm Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 13

Ok I am a dummy. I am making a box red velvet cake, but I have no flour to coat the pan with and I have no wax paper! What do i use to keep it from sticking? I have already oiled it. Helpicon_smile.gif

12 replies
Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 13

if you haven't mixed the cake yet you can take a bit of the dry mix and use it like you would the flour.

HTH

JUDI

meharding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meharding Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 13

My FIL uses sugar in lieu of flour when he bakes his pound cakes. He says he likes it because it doesn't leave a flour residue on his cake. HTH

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 9:28pm
post #4 of 13

Yesterday I was baking in my mom's kitchen and forgot my pan grease at home. She was out of flour, so I did as was suggested above. I opened up the cake mix and used a little of it to coat the pan. It worked fine. icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalm

Ok I am a dummy. I am making a box red velvet cake, but I have no flour to coat the pan with and I have no wax paper! What do i use to keep it from sticking? I have already oiled it. Helpicon_smile.gif

Just use Pam and save yourself some time and trouble. icon_smile.gif

I use Pam to prep all cakes - scratch or doctored box. The only exception is cheesecake, and for that, I butter parchment paper.

~ Sherri

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 11:38pm
post #6 of 13

I haven't floured my pans in over 25 years. CK Products brand Pan Grease only. If I'm out of that, then just some Crisco or shortening. Cakes rise higher without flour.

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 12:30am
post #7 of 13

Indydebi, do you just use Pam on the bottom also? I only use it on the sides and waxpaper on the bottom. I've been afraid to use it on the bottom for fear my cake wouldn't release without some of it being left on the bottm of the pan.

Kat

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 1:57am
post #8 of 13

Pan Grease or Crisco on bottoms and sides. Cakes pop right out with no problem. I have them out of the pan and onto the cooling rack within 3 minutes of removing them from the oven.

I don't like to use Pam ..... whenever I've used that, my cake sides and bottoms looked like SpongeBob. dont' know if it's the Pam that causes it, but it happens every time. With the Pan Grease/Crisco, the cakes have a beautiful golden color and a very smooth texture.

jenntatum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenntatum Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 2:03am
post #9 of 13

I always use the Pam with flour. Never had any problems!

LauraS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraS Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 2:11am
post #10 of 13

I use pan or parchment paper,

cheflish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheflish Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 2:16am
post #11 of 13

I have also used powdered sugar and Pam. It makes the baked good a bit sweeter than flour residue. And, doesn't show up like flour does. For darker cakes, you could also use cocoa powder...

OR - you could just use parchment paper if you have any of that around...

Good luck!
Lish

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 2:17am
post #12 of 13

Parchment paper in the bottom and you should be good to go.

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:10am
post #13 of 13

I don't use any flour at all, I do use the wax paper on the bottom. i have tried the Baker Joy spray and I really don't care for that, my cakes stick sometimes. Thanks for all of the tips everyone.

Kat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%