Can I Flavor Candy Melts?

Decorating By MelissaLynn Updated 24 Aug 2006 , 9:12pm by Caykes2

MelissaLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaLynn Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 7

I wanted to try making some candies with some candy melts this weekend. I haven't tried them yet, but am curious about flavoring the candy melts? I bought three different oil flavors (strawberry, cinnamon, and cherry) but don't want to mess up. What flavors work best? What do the candy melts taste like to begin with? Any information would be helpful. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
frosting111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosting111 Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaLynn

I wanted to try making some candies with some candy melts this weekend. I haven't tried them yet, but am curious about flavoring the candy melts? I bought three different oil flavors (strawberry, cinnamon, and cherry) but don't want to mess up. What flavors work best? What do the candy melts taste like to begin with? Any information would be helpful. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

The Wilton candy melts are delicious, I've used the Chocolate and peanut butter flavored ones a lot and they are wonderful and very easy to work with..put em together and they taste kinda like a Reese cup...Yummy!

I got this from Wilton a while back about their candy melts:

General Information
Adding Color & Flavor to Candy
Candy Coloring
Turn White Candy Melts into virtually any color using Wilton's concentrated oil-based candy colors. A great way to change shades or to achieve cool custom colors.

For helpful color hits, see our Candy Color Chart.

To Color:

Add Wilton Candy Colors to melted Candy Melts a little at a time. Mix thoroughly before adding more color. Colors tend to deepen as they're mixed. Pastel colored candies are most appetizing, so keep this in mind when tinting.

Candy Flavoring
The creamy, rich taste of Candy Melts can be enhanced by adding Wilton oil-based Candy Flavors. Choose from Peppermint, Cherry, Cinnamon, and Crème De Menthe.

To Flavor:

Add approximately 1/4 teaspoon Wilton oil-based Candy Flavor to 14 oz. (one package) of melted Candy Melts. Never use alcohol based flavorings; they will cause coatings to harden.

Clean-Up
After you finish making candy, wash your candy molds in warm water and dry thoroughly with a soft cloth. Don't use soap or detergent they can eventually cause molds to dry out and crack. Never boil your molds or place them in the dishwasher. Molds can last for years if you store them the right waykeep them flat to prevent warping and place tissues between stacked molds to prevent scratches.

Storage
Making candy for a special occasion or holiday? Save time by making it in advance. Molded candy will stay fresh for 2 to 3 weeks. To store safely, pack candy in airtight containers and keep at room temperature. It is not necessary to refrigerate or freeze your molded candy.

Heres a link about how to melt the candys also:

http://www.wilton.com/candy/melting.cfm

lehall2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lehall2006 Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 7

I use the Merckens wafers (in white and various colors) and I personally think they taste like white chocolate. I haven't tried flavoring them yet, so I'll be interested to hear about your experience!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 11:04pm
post #4 of 7

Wilton's white and pre colored Candy Melts have a vanilla taste. You need to use the oils to flavor them. Start with a few drops then taste. You can always add more if you need to but ya can't take away. Some flavors will be stronger than others and will take less.

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 12:14am
post #5 of 7

Use the oil flavors not the watery type flavors or the chocolate will seize up on you which is not good. Add a little at a time and sample to get the flavor you want--a little goes a long way.

MelissaLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaLynn Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 9:02pm
post #6 of 7

I guess what I was really asking if there is a flavor that works better than the others or are they all just personal preference? I bought the Louanne Oils to flavor with because I had read not to use the alcohol base extracts.

Caykes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caykes2 Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 9:12pm
post #7 of 7

I use Lorann's and Wilton's and haven't been disappointed by either.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%