Quick Question

Decorating By flayvurdfun Updated 19 Jun 2005 , 3:04am by tcturtleshell

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 18 Jun 2005 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 15

I feel a little stupid and spoiled, but is a container that says heavy cream the same as whipping cream? I am used to seeing cartons saying whipping cream etc here it isnt.... just thought you guys could help me.

14 replies
cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 18 Jun 2005 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 15

I would say yes. i use heavy cream to make whipping cream.

flayvurdfun Posted 18 Jun 2005 , 2:35pm
post #3 of 15

I was thinking it would but I still am a bit pessimistic with things over here.... I am going to try and whip it then...if not I can always use cool whip in my choc mousse.

Newbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newbie Posted 18 Jun 2005 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 15

flayvurdfun -

where is "over here" ???

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 18 Jun 2005 , 3:02pm
post #5 of 15

flayvurdfun
When you using Heavy Cream, you will have to add some sugar and flavor. And your going to have to whip the heck of it. I really don't like this, opinions vary. I always stick to my faithful Whipped Cream in a tub.. Just a thought! Good Luck!

wandy27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wandy27 Posted 18 Jun 2005 , 3:20pm
post #6 of 15

I also use heavy cream to make whipped cream, just use your mixer in med and add slowly some confectioners sugar (about a cup to three cups of cream) until you get the right consistency.

Wandy

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 18 Jun 2005 , 3:58pm
post #7 of 15

Hi, Flavurdfun is in Germany right now, about to come back to the states in a few weeks.

flayvurdfun Posted 18 Jun 2005 , 4:10pm
post #8 of 15

yeah Germany is Here.... thanks to all of you... I am making a choc mousse cake, and I am supposed to fold in whipped heavy cream... so far so good....I am getting ready now to do the whipping..... I will let you all know! Man do I miss all my stuff!!!!!!! Thanks again

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 18 Jun 2005 , 4:25pm
post #9 of 15

Hi Flavy, I wasn't sure you'd still be online! Boy, that chocolate mousse cake sounds good, know it will come out fine! How "short" are you now?
Janice

flayvurdfun Posted 18 Jun 2005 , 4:32pm
post #10 of 15

Oh my gawsh! It worked like a charm....when I whipped it to stiff peaks it added very nicely to the chocolate mixture... the mousse tastes great....now I have to put it on the cake!!!!!!!!!
Anyay VEEJAY,(and anyon else wanting to know!) We leave here in 38 days!!!!!!!! Whoo hoo...our household stuff is on the ship going to Virginia, and we sent our truck this past Tuesday!!! So now we have to ride bikes until they pick up what the military calls "unaccompanied baggage" thats when they will pick up our bikes and the little stuff we left here.... we bought a laptop just for our move (we have been wanting one for ages) anyway, I have only kept a handful of kitchen utensils, my cake decor kit, one set of sheets for all the beds (4) a small tv, vcr, and dvd player and our boys playstation and gamecube..... anyway....I am still here!!!!!!! I have time now to be online!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 18 Jun 2005 , 9:21pm
post #11 of 15

..hey, flavurdfun, just thought I'd let you know the weather here in VA is absolutley beautiful today. Last week it was up on the high 90's but today is just perfect..low 80's! icon_biggrin.gif

Newbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newbie Posted 19 Jun 2005 , 1:24am
post #12 of 15

Welcome (almost) back! On the topic of 'where is here' I sure wish more people would put something for location in the profile. I always think it's interesting to know.

kakesbyrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakesbyrobin Posted 19 Jun 2005 , 2:08am
post #13 of 15

Just a quick note.

Heavy cream in Europe has more butterfat in it,so it is way better than it is in the states,where we have to buy that ultra pastuerized stuff.

It is very difficult to find it in a real high butterfat here.It is not exactly sold in your local grocers cooler.

Also,if you over whip it it will turn into butter.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 19 Jun 2005 , 2:19am
post #14 of 15

Go by the amount of milk fat if it is stated. In Canada, whipping cream has between 31 and 35% milk fat. We do not have heavy cream. In the U.S. heavy cream should have more than 35%, about 37% usually. Your whipping cream in the U.S. is between 33% and 35% milk fat, normally. Anything over 30 or 31% milk fat will whip and hold peaks.
In Europe you can buy the heavy clotted cream - Creme fraiche, the true creme fraiche is the heavy cream that you can stand a spoon up in, before it is whipped. It has a very high milkfat content and is not pasteurized.
In Canada, some Quebec farmers sell this, illegally. It is the only time I have ever had it.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 19 Jun 2005 , 3:04am
post #15 of 15

Kandi, just wanted to let you know that I miss seeing you on CC!

How did all your Father's Day cakes turn out? Hopefully fine!

Hope to hear from you soon~

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%