What Was I Thinking?

Decorating By clsilvus Updated 5 Jul 2007 , 2:00am by LaSombra

clsilvus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clsilvus Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 10:34pm
post #1 of 10

When my step-sister told me she was getting married my first question was "Can I do the cake?"

I live in Oregon, the wedding is in Ohio. Her friend has offered her kitchen for me to work but I don't want to be there 'til the wee hours of the morning. There is a hotel nearby with a fridge and some with oven, so I can at least bring the cakes back to ice instead of spending all day at someone's house. Then the wedding is a hour away and we are going there the day before the actual weddong. What am I supposed to do with the cake. I guess make it so it doesn't need refrigeration.

I just dread the thought of lugging all my stuff around. We're going to TN. first to visit the in-laws and driving to Ohio.

What was I thinking? icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

9 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 2:46am
post #2 of 10

ummm, you weren't thinking. icon_wink.gif You just wanted to be the good step-sister that you are and make her a wonderrful tasting and beautiful piece of cake art. You'll figure out a game plan--wow, that's one heck of a task just in itself. Just remember where there is a will, there is a way. You can do it, just stay positive!

If you have to, use the friends house to bake in. Where is the wedding in Ohio? I'm just over the line in MI, you can use my house if you need too if the wedding is close to the Toledo area.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 3:10am
post #3 of 10

I'm 20 min west of Cleveland you could use my kitchen also................

clsilvus Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 3:45am
post #4 of 10

That's nice of you guys to offer but I'll be in Akron then Boardman, I don't think either of you are close.

Anyway dh has it all figured out for me, I'm baking tues at his parent place in TN, then we're going to drive to ohio with the cakes in their own seperate containers on wed. and I'm icing and decorating on thurs.

He doesn't get that I don't want to bake cakes on a tues to be served on sat. I'm not freezing them but the hotel we're staying at does have a full sized refrigerator.

mkolmar Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 10

You are deffinently going to have to use a cake mix then because of the perservatives, a scratch cake won't last that long. Is there anyway you could just freeze them right away on Tuesday and pull them out on Wed to place in a cooler? Or wake up really early on Wed to bake? Baking on Tuesday and leaving them out just seems like a long time to me.
You might just be beter off baking in the friends house. Don't want to be a downer but I'd hate to see you have a dry cake for the wedding and I know that you don't want that either.

clsilvus Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 8:49pm
post #6 of 10

I know that's what dh doesn't get. I just got po'd and said fine, do whatever you want (the mistake I always make when I'm mad).

We haven't been to see his family for 2 years so he's trying to cut down our ohio trip to spend more time in tn. but my cakes are going to suffer because of this. I personally don't see what difference a day makes (for visiting), he doesn't see what difference a day makes for cake "I think a 3 day old cake will taste the same as a 4 day old cake"

I could probably freeze them but I don't know about a cooler. I'll be making 2 layer 16', 12' & 8'
I was going to make a wasc, do you think this will hold up?

He is willing to do what it takes to transport the already baked cakes...do you think dry ice would work or would I need a ton? I don't even know where to get it.

I'm lucky my sister wants a simple design....white icing with white polka dots and flowers in between each tier.

mkolmar Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 1:27am
post #7 of 10

I don't know if you'll find a cooler that large. Of course I'm sure your husband can, it's a talent for men.

The WASC usually starts to dry out a little by day 3 or 4. It hopefully won't be too bad though. (but I'm a little sensitive to stuff like that, most people don't notice)

I think you might need to start another thread asking for ideas and help on this. Maybe more people will see it and respond.

Call it something like Help, traveling with cake. Hopefully, that will catch more peoples attention.

Dry ice will work for transporting, but I've never done a haul like you are going to be doing so I'm sorry I can't help you on that question.

Man, I hope you figure this out! I'm nervous for ya icon_razz.gif I know you can pull it off though!

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 1:44am
post #8 of 10

When you torte and fill, you could brush the layers with a simple syrup to help keep the moistness. Other than that, I'm not too much help... sorry. Good luck with your trip. Hope all goes well!!!!!

DoubleODanish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoubleODanish Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 1:58am
post #9 of 10

I did something similar for a friend's wedding last summer. I loaded up from Ohio with my mom, 2 toddlers, and my trusty KitchenAid. We drove to Texas and I used my dad's kitchen and the kitchen at his church to put the cakes together before driving them an hour to the wedding. The church kitchen actually worked out well, it gave me lots of fridge and counter space and the ability to work without my kiddos underfoot. If you can't drum up a space like that amongst family and friends, maybe you could use a syrup to make sure the cakes are moist. You'll make it work I'm sure, just think through everything before you leave home and make lots of lists!

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 2:00am
post #10 of 10

yeah, baking in a different kitchen makes me nervous too. My sister-in-law in Mexico wants me to make her quinceanera (huge 15th birthday party) cake in January. My husband swears it'll be alright. I'm worried about having all I need. I guess he thinks I'll be able to work in the local bakery where my husband used to work when he was a teen. They'll have to check with him before I go but I'm still worried about conversions of recipes...if they use different type of measurements or just eye it or what. I'm kinda scared!

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%