Getting Back Your Cake Boards

Business By charman Updated 23 Aug 2006 , 10:07pm by knoxcop1

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 9:38pm
post #1 of 10

My father cuts my cake boards for me out of 1/2 inch particle board which I cover with foil. Very strong, and durable. I have tried the cardboard circles before covered in foil, and when I go to move the finished cake, the boards bend just enough to cause a hairline cake in the cakes icing...so frustrating!

Anywho...how do you get your cake boards back? All of my customers have been very good about returning them, but most of them have been family. Outside customers...feels just weird asking them to return them to me, but at the same time, seems a waste not to.

Would this masonite I hear about on here be better and cheaper? Right now the boards aren't costing because my dear dad just does them for me (yes, I'm spoiled), but I do feel bad continuing to ask him, especially when he won't let me pay for the boards. I would be fine buying the boards, having him cut them all of the time, passing the cost on to the customer (with in reason) but only if it would be cost effective.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

9 replies
koppeskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koppeskreations Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 10

Here is what I have found to do and suggested by customers is to put your name on the board and put PLEASE RETURN TO and then put your name or address. This works well.

Now I have had a few get thrown out, but I figured to cost on them and to buy the cardboards, they roughly average out to be the same cost. Crazy isn't it. So I figure if I lose a few here and there I am still ahead by the ones I get back.

I also look at where they are going and if it is with in reason for them to return to me.

Good Luck

Nikki

sassz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassz Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 10

You could charge a deposit that is refundable when the cake board is returned. I'd keep a stash of disposable boards around for customers who would rather not bring something back.

aldenqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aldenqueen Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 9:51pm
post #4 of 10

i buy big sheets of foamcore and cut that to size. I use this for customers who would rather have something disposable.

SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassz

You could charge a deposit that is refundable when the cake board is returned.

$10 a board, 7 days to return it.

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 1:29am
post #6 of 10

I got tired of hassling with the boards, now I only do foamcore and have had MORE of those returned without being labeled or asking, than I EVER did with particle board! Go Figure!!

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 1:08pm
post #7 of 10

What is foamcore, and where do you find it? Is it expensive, and does it hold as well as the particle boards in regards to weight, and not giving too much to cause those hairline cracks?

aldenqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aldenqueen Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 9:28pm
post #8 of 10

I buy my foamcore at Michaels. They are I think around $2 per sheet. I can get 2 11x15 out of it. It is about the same thickness as a whole package of the wiltonboards. I think you can get them at pretty much any craft store. But I usually have hubby and my mother with me. all with the 40% off coupons. I have never had a problem using the foamcore with 9x13's 11x15's or the 12x18's. For anything heavier I double the board, may not need to, but I am paranoid.

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 10:02pm
post #9 of 10

what about having your dad cut from a thicker MDF board (from the lumber store)? That would probably hold up and not bend like particle board.

Foamcore comes in a couple different thicknesses. The thinner would work as a cake circle. The thicker stuff could be a board under a small cake. There is also something called GatorBoard that is a lot sturdier if you have a really heavy cake.

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 10:07pm
post #10 of 10

What is Masonite?

How thick is it, and will it support a wedding cake very well? detective.gif

I'm ordering a masonite circle, 22 inches for a wedding in September.

Thanks,
--Knox--

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%