Business By oneposhbabychef Updated 17 Aug 2015 , 12:57am by heather31cakes

vrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrj Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 1:45pm
post #31 of 34

awesome cake but it so mahal

Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 9:01pm
post #32 of 34

Hi guys, how can someone decorate 10 + cakes an hour? When you say 'decorate' what does that entail? Is it sorting and filling and butter creaming and icing? Is it like a processing line? I'd like to know because it takes me hours to do a cake so maybe I am too slow or not organised enough. 

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 17 Aug 2015 , 12:03am
post #33 of 34

It's been some time since my last post, this is in response to Shockolata.  I don't know how anyone else had to do it but....

When I worked at Sam's, the cakes-sheets/layers- came frozen packed in cases.  The total time to complete/produce the required number of decorated cakes began after removing the sheets/layers from their packaging and involved, for layered cakes, boarding, filling, base icing, decorating (borders,  and either balloons, roses, squiggled borders and sprinkles, gumpaste flowers or a plastic topper and some form of writing (so that after the decorator was gone another associate could possibly make a legible name on it should the customer request it so),  then packaging the cakes and labeling them.  The sheets got the same treatment with the exception of the filling. 

heather31cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather31cakes Posted 17 Aug 2015 , 12:57am
post #34 of 34

In response to Shockolata,

Ice cream cakes came baked and frozen, but I had to put the ice cream in a mold and freeze it.  Then frost it, freeze again, and decorate. Mornings were build-frost. Afternoons deco. To average 40 a day. So ten cakes an hour for me is decorating only.  And mostly the type of designs you'd see in the display at a grocery store. When I do custom like 3d or tiered cakes at home, bake, make filling and buttercream, fill, sculpt if necessary, frost, and decorate can take all day depending on design.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%