Fried Green Tomatoes... Am I The Only One?

Lounge By CakeDiva73 Updated 30 Aug 2006 , 2:43pm by debilou68

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 18

Am I the onlyone who didn't realize that they were lesbians? I watched it last night and went to the computer to look something up on one of the actresses and came across this huge thread regarding it! ( IMDB.com )

I mean, they went back and forth but apparently the book makes it very clear they they are a couple and I feel like a complete moron because that never occurred to me!

Just wondered if I was the only one who has seen and LOVES this movie but never picked up on it....

ohh... and also, who out there thought that Jessica Tandy ( the older woman in "present" time ) was actually the main character all grown up? I have seen this at least a dozen times and didn't realize I had it all wrong! icon_razz.gif

17 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 18

I thought it was clear they loved each other very much. One of my favorite movies. The food fight is the best.

Cookie_Brookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie_Brookie Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 18

I didn't pay much attention to how they acted toward one another until my mom mentioned she thought they were lesbians.

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 18

I so LOVE this movie.

I really thought there was something more there then they let on.

I figured it out the first time I seen it and I was a teenager then, I love that movie!!!!

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 9:25pm
post #5 of 18

Are you talking about Jessica Tandy's character and Kathy Bates' character? Or Mary Stuart Masterson and Mary Louise Parker? I love that movie and have seen it soooo many times, but I'm confused!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 11:17pm
post #6 of 18

I hven't seen this movie since it first came out, i guess I missed something because I didn't even realize it till this post, just thought they were best friends attached at the hip.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 11:46pm
post #7 of 18

I disagree. thumbsdown.gif This is one of my all time favorite movies. That & Ya-Ya's. icon_smile.gif These girls were best friends & were closer then Thelma & Louise were in that movie. I think the movie people wanted to get people to sway their opinion towards them being lesbians (to give it a twist) but I do not believe they were lesbians. I think the movie meant for us women to take care of each other when a man abuses us. That friendship (a life time friendship like theirs) can be as close as a husband & wife relationship sometimes closer~ That's just IMHO
icon_smile.gif With that being said I'm going to go watch Big Brother!! LOL!!

fthrem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fthrem Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 4:33pm
post #8 of 18

Its actually on of my favorite books, and in the book it is made very clear that they are lesbians. They even kiss. The movie downplays the lesbian aspects and focuses more on friendship, so its really easy not to realize. They do try to make you think that Jessica Tandy is Idgy all gron up, but in the boos she isn't. I guess they thought it would be a better movie this way. Personally, I love the book and the movie!

megal80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megal80 Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 11:27pm
post #9 of 18

Totally shocked!

Never would have thought it!

I love that movie!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 12:27am
post #10 of 18

I heard the same thing... that in the book there was a 'love scene' and it was more than obvious that they were lesbians...

They also said that in "1991 Hollywood", they had to 'downplay' the lesbian angle... whis is sort of hysterical considering what they put in movies and on TV today but that was 14 years ago - still, who cares?

I always felt they were close friend that loved each other and would basically kill for each other.... I don't mean it in a graphic/violent way, just exactly what was already said about women taking care of their own!

As for the whole 'Idgey being Jessica-Tandy-all-grown-up'.... please God say that is how they intended it to appear otherwise I am far more slow then I thought! icon_redface.gif

jackfrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackfrost Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 1:53am
post #11 of 18

icon_surprised.gif I never picked up on that either! It is also one of my very favorite movies.

[quote] Unshared joy is an unlit candle.

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 12:39pm
post #12 of 18

It's really weird that you mentioned this movie. I just rented and watched it for the umpteenth time this last weekend. It is one of my all time favorite chick flicks! I have always thought there was more to the story than was actually portrayed in the movie.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 1:00pm
post #13 of 18

...I am sooo naive...I thought this was going to be about "Fried Green Tomatoes" ...as in the kind you eat!! I never saw the movie!

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 1:48pm
post #14 of 18

Well smack me and call me silly! When I started reading this I was agreeing with tc but then I looked up some stuff and still didn't believe it until I read some of the reviews on Amazon.com. It's true-at least in the book. The movie version I think is meant to reflect more of the close, genuine friendships that women have and how strong women are and the movie people decided to change that aspect of the story for the movie. I'm going to have to read the book now just to see what the story really is! If I get to I'll report back!

Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 1:17am
post #15 of 18

MrsMissy, I thought the same thing icon_redface.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I was hoping for a wonderful recipe as I love fried green tomatoes. I have watched that movie but have not read the book and I would have never thought they were lesibans. I do tend to be a little naive about things sometime. Oh well, still a good movie.

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 3:55am
post #16 of 18

Add me to the list of people who love that movie. I guess I picked up on that right away, seemed obvious to me. I've seen it many, many times too. TWANNDDDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAA!!! LOL! icon_razz.gif

KimAZ

mari_golde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mari_golde Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 5:21am
post #17 of 18

ahhh yes, Fried Green Tomatoes (at the Whistlestop Cafe) ...absolutely my most favorite book in the whole wide world! I must've been living in a cave for the past decade though, because up until last summer, I had never seen the movie. Well, of course, I had to rent it, and yes, I loved it too. Although, truth be told, I did prefer the book to the movie...it was more in-depth, and the characters were more rounded.

If you loved the movie, my CC friends, you MUST read the book.

debilou68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debilou68 Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 2:43pm
post #18 of 18

i consider myself a little naive,, but i've never even had the slightest hint that they were lesbians,, and i've got the movie at home, i checked it out from the library over the weekend... i just can't believe it.. I'm gonna have to get the book now..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%