Pasta Sheeter (?) Roller For Fondant

Decorating By melysa Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 6:01pm by crisc23

melysa  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 6:37am
post #1 of 14

i've been thinking about getting one of these lately to do the fondnant decorations. i love the thin uniform look it gives. hoping someone can lend some advice on them...a good brand, general price range, where to buy, etc. i am a hobby baker, hoping to eventually open a business so i dont want to spend a ton of money just yet, but am certainly curious about my options.

13 replies
 jmt1714  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 12:27pm
post #2 of 14

http://www.instawares.com/fondant-sheeter-30.som-cdr600f.0.7.htm

the 30" ones runs around $4000, the smaller $20" ones are around $2300.

spottydog  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 12:40pm
post #3 of 14

OMG what I would do for one of those babies!!!! icon_smile.gif

southerncake  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 12:41pm
post #4 of 14

If you are just talking about one of the small ones to do small things, I just bought one from Michaels for (I think) about $14.00 after the 40% coupon. I have done two wedding cakes with fondant decorations since I got it and I think it is the best $14 I ever spent!!!! I LOVE IT!!! I'm sure there are nicer ones, but so far this has worked great for me!

Suebee  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 12:45pm
post #5 of 14

Oh what a dream. I would love to have a sheeter. We went to a chocolate show and they had all kinds of sheeters. Drool....

jesaltuve  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jesaltuve Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 12:56pm
post #6 of 14

If you have a Kitchen Aid you can buy one on their website, or a Macy's to attach to the KA. They run around $60 to $85.

jmt1714  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 2:37pm
post #7 of 14

ah - I misread that. I saw "sheeter" and "fondant" so . . . But I use the Pasta attachment for my KA for small items - costs vary a lot - can be up to $100 for it, depending on where/when you get it. Works well for uniformity.

but yeah, the sheeter is cool, isn't it? icon_smile.gif

jesaltuve  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jesaltuve Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 2:53pm
post #8 of 14

If you look on the KA site there is a little spot where you can find closeouts and clearance items (factory outlet) and they usually have the pasta roller there for btter prices.

miriel  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 4:07pm
post #9 of 14

You can get a pasta roller like this one made by Imperial, from Williams-Sonoma: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/cw072/index.cfm?pkey=xsrd0m1%7C15%7C%7C%7C0%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C%7Cpasta&cm%5Fsrc=SCH

You can get the same one from Bed, Bath and Beyond and Linens 'N Things (and use their 20% off coupons).

This is a hand cranked model but you can get a motor attachment for about $60 so it is easier to use. I recommend getting a motor as it is much easier to use with it and it will seem like you have an extra hand.

Jo-Ann's and Michael's sometimes have the hand cranked clay roller on sale.

If you just want to try it out, I recommend getting it from Williams-Sonoma because in case you change your mind, they do not give your grief on returns icon_smile.gif

melysa  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 5:24pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt1714

http://www.instawares.com/fondant-sheeter-30.som-cdr600f.0.7.htm

the 30" ones runs around $4000, the smaller $20" ones are around $2300.

wow, i am glad that this is not my ONLY option!!! if i was rolling in the dough ((no pun intended) i would love one of these. at this point though, i am just looking for simple..mostly for small decorations.

thanks everyone for the links and input. i'll look into it!

lecrn  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 5:35pm
post #11 of 14

I got a clay pasta machine from Micheal's. It was $59, but I used a 40% off coupon. I was so excited about & started using it as soon as I got home. Then, I started reading the product info. & it clearly stated that it was not food safe. icon_cry.gif So, I took it back. I started to keep it & just make gumpaste decor. out of it (b/c no one would eat those), but I wanted it for fondant decor as well. I looked at Linens & Things & BB&B, & I couldn't find their pasta machines. Maybe I overlooked them?

purplebutterfly1234  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
purplebutterfly1234 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:25pm
post #12 of 14

I thought I'd check out their site and call and see what they had to say....looks good to me and the lady I spoke with said as long as you don't cross contaminate food w/non food items, it should be good. She did say a lady had called the other day and was telling her that it didn't work so well w/pasta though.

http://www.amaco.com/prod-pasta-machine-404.html

leah_s  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:40pm
post #13 of 14

I've got that one. Hand crank. Been using it for years for both pasta and fondant. Works great.

crisc23  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisc23 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 6:01pm
post #14 of 14

This is the one I use. It has the electric motor. It is my fav. tool in my kitchen. I do a lot of fondant accents and couldn't survive without it.

http://www.creativecookware.com/pasta_maker.htm

I use the Mercato with electric drive motor. The motor is chrome color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%