Pasta Sheeter (?) Roller For Fondant

Decorating By melysa Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 6:01pm by crisc23

melysa Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 6:37am
post #1 of 14

i've been thinking about getting one of these lately to do the fondnant decorations. i love the thin uniform look it gives. hoping someone can lend some advice on them...a good brand, general price range, where to buy, etc. i am a hobby baker, hoping to eventually open a business so i dont want to spend a ton of money just yet, but am certainly curious about my options.

13 replies
jmt1714 Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 12:27pm
post #2 of 14

the 30" ones runs around $4000, the smaller $20" ones are around $2300.

spottydog Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 12:40pm
post #3 of 14

OMG what I would do for one of those babies!!!! icon_smile.gif

southerncake Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 12:41pm
post #4 of 14

If you are just talking about one of the small ones to do small things, I just bought one from Michaels for (I think) about $14.00 after the 40% coupon. I have done two wedding cakes with fondant decorations since I got it and I think it is the best $14 I ever spent!!!! I LOVE IT!!! I'm sure there are nicer ones, but so far this has worked great for me!

Suebee Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 12:45pm
post #5 of 14

Oh what a dream. I would love to have a sheeter. We went to a chocolate show and they had all kinds of sheeters. Drool....

jesaltuve Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 12:56pm
post #6 of 14

If you have a Kitchen Aid you can buy one on their website, or a Macy's to attach to the KA. They run around $60 to $85.

jmt1714 Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 2:37pm
post #7 of 14

ah - I misread that. I saw "sheeter" and "fondant" so . . . But I use the Pasta attachment for my KA for small items - costs vary a lot - can be up to $100 for it, depending on where/when you get it. Works well for uniformity.

but yeah, the sheeter is cool, isn't it? icon_smile.gif

jesaltuve Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 2:53pm
post #8 of 14

If you look on the KA site there is a little spot where you can find closeouts and clearance items (factory outlet) and they usually have the pasta roller there for btter prices.

miriel Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 4:07pm
post #9 of 14

You can get a pasta roller like this one made by Imperial, from Williams-Sonoma:

You can get the same one from Bed, Bath and Beyond and Linens 'N Things (and use their 20% off coupons).

This is a hand cranked model but you can get a motor attachment for about $60 so it is easier to use. I recommend getting a motor as it is much easier to use with it and it will seem like you have an extra hand.

Jo-Ann's and Michael's sometimes have the hand cranked clay roller on sale.

If you just want to try it out, I recommend getting it from Williams-Sonoma because in case you change your mind, they do not give your grief on returns icon_smile.gif

melysa Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 5:24pm
post #10 of 14
Originally Posted by jmt1714

the 30" ones runs around $4000, the smaller $20" ones are around $2300.

wow, i am glad that this is not my ONLY option!!! if i was rolling in the dough ((no pun intended) i would love one of these. at this point though, i am just looking for simple..mostly for small decorations.

thanks everyone for the links and input. i'll look into it!

lecrn Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 5:35pm
post #11 of 14

I got a clay pasta machine from Micheal's. It was $59, but I used a 40% off coupon. I was so excited about & started using it as soon as I got home. Then, I started reading the product info. & it clearly stated that it was not food safe. icon_cry.gif So, I took it back. I started to keep it & just make gumpaste decor. out of it (b/c no one would eat those), but I wanted it for fondant decor as well. I looked at Linens & Things & BB&B, & I couldn't find their pasta machines. Maybe I overlooked them?

purplebutterfly1234 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:25pm
post #12 of 14

I thought I'd check out their site and call and see what they had to say....looks good to me and the lady I spoke with said as long as you don't cross contaminate food w/non food items, it should be good. She did say a lady had called the other day and was telling her that it didn't work so well w/pasta though.

leah_s Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:40pm
post #13 of 14

I've got that one. Hand crank. Been using it for years for both pasta and fondant. Works great.

crisc23 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 6:01pm
post #14 of 14

This is the one I use. It has the electric motor. It is my fav. tool in my kitchen. I do a lot of fondant accents and couldn't survive without it.

I use the Mercato with electric drive motor. The motor is chrome color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%