Michigan Cake Decorating Buddy Wanted

Decorating By oneposhbabychef Updated 7 Oct 2006 , 8:25pm by butterluv05

oneposhbabychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oneposhbabychef Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 65

Is there anyone in Michigan willling to buddy up with me on a couple of Saturdays or Sundays to show me a few decorating techniques?

I want to take a class but none are offered on Saturdays. The videos don't work for me, I need some one on one help. I live in Oak Park and I will be so glad if I can come and watch someone decorate their cakes and if someone will show me how to icing a cake and a few decorating techniques. If someone wants to come to my house that is fine too, I have plenty of counterspace.

I am willing to pay if need be but I'm looking for ongoing cake support and to hopefully make a new friend. I am not one of those online predators, just an honest woman trying to get some help.

64 replies
czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 65

I would love to learn with you too! We could split the cost.

I took Wilton 1 & 2 a few years ago, tried to take them again but it got cancelled because no one else signed up but me. Now the classes in the fall aren't fitting into my schedule and the cake dec. stores have not posted their classes yet. I'm getting really anxious for some actual instruction!

I'm in St. Clair Shores and can get anywhere in the metro area most Saturdays.

oneposhbabychef Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 65

Hi czyadgrl,

Welcome to the cake decorating world! What do you mean by splitting the cost? Do you know of a class where we can get half off if two people sign up? My problem is that I can't find any classes that are offered on Saturday. I checked both Michaels and Joann's. So I'm looking for someone to "learn" with by not taking classes.

Are you a beginner or do you have some experience?[/quote]

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 65

Hi fellow michiganders!! I am a new decorator and have taken courses 1 and 2. Course 3 was cancelled, so I just taught myself. I think I am getting the hang of it now...thanks to all of the help I have received here) I live all the way on the other side of the state though (near Grand Haven and Lake Michigan) Nice to meet some others from Michigan though. Hope you find someone close to show you the techniques!

oneposhbabychef Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 1:13pm
post #5 of 65

Hi Merissa!

Welcome to CC! At least you took course 1 and 2. I haven't even gotten that far, but I may have to buckle down and take it. I'll have to see if I can get off work early in order to take it though. I was hoping I could teach myself, but it's not looking too good!

Do you know of any local cake decorating clubs?

Junecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Junecakes Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 1:17pm
post #6 of 65

Hello from Kalamazoo! I took the 1st Wilton course and then decided to just learn on my own and have been very busy since. Wish I were closer to everyone so I could buddy up as well! Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

Ksue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ksue Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 1:38pm
post #7 of 65

Hey Junecakes and Merissa -

Your cakes are great!

I was born and raised in Kalamazoo and have many fond memories of summers spent at Grand Haven. Hardly ever come across anyone else who lives in Kzo. What part of town? We still have relatives/friends there who might need a cake or two. Are you selling cakes to "strangers?"

Also still have relatives and friends on the Detroit side, but no one who would qualify as a cake-decorating buddy. Sorry.

springlakecake Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 1:54pm
post #8 of 65

Hello again-ksue and junecakes...I went to WMU for college. I have a lot of 'fond' memories of kalamazoo too! Good times, good times!

I think it is probably worth taking a course or two. I wanted to take course 3, but it hasnt been rescheduled in 3 months. So in that time I think I have almost taught myself everything from the course 3. Except the fondant rose... anyway once you have the basics, making different flowers etc isnt too difficult. I think (still) that icing the cake is the hardest part! It would be good to get the basics down, then you can learn sooooo much here.

Junecakes Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 2:06pm
post #9 of 65

ksue- I actually live in portage but most people know Kzoo sooo... I do sell to non-friends and family... SHHHH! I am currently looking for a commercial space to rent. I have a few contacts, just getting up the nerve to call thumbs_up.gif Where did you grow up? go to school? I grew up here and went to college at MSU, came back married...you know the story!

Merissa- My boys love going to WMU football games and I spent many, too many nights at Waldo's! icon_lol.gif My husband graduated from K College and I convinced him to stay put. What a guy icon_wink.gif

Ksue Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 2:07pm
post #10 of 65

OMG. I went to WMU, too. But WAY before you did, no doubt icon_wink.gif

My Kzo relatives have Spring Lake in-law relatives, so maybe PM me if you're interested in possibly getting business in that area.

writer_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
writer_mom Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 2:12pm
post #11 of 65

I live in Pinckney (about 20 minutes away from Ann Arbor). I haven't ever taken a class though I would like to. It is hard to fit that into your schedule when you have a full time job and 2 kids. icon_sad.gif

I'm self-taught and just use my mother-in-law's old Wilton books to practice with. I mostly just bake for work, daycare, and friends. Occasionally, I get paid to do it. icon_biggrin.gif

So, I'm not much of an expert decorator, but I'll a fellow Michigander cake baking/decorating friend if you would like!

Ksue Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 2:17pm
post #12 of 65

Junecakes - I grew up on Long Lake (in Scotts) and went to Vicksburg schools. Hubby grew up in Vix, and we graduated together. Then migrated to Houston in 1974.

His sister taught in the Portage schools 'til she retired a year ago. Her kids went to MSU. Hubby (and she) went to CMU.

They are all clamoring for my cakes and claim there is NO ONE up there who does stuff like this -- so I'd like to be able to give them your name if you're interested. And no one will care if you're not "legal." It would be like friends-and-family.

Junecakes Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 2:33pm
post #13 of 65

Ksue -
What a small world! Even smaller on the internet! I will PM my info. Thanks!

gpe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gpe Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 2:48pm
post #14 of 65

niece and I are from the St. Joseph / Coloma area ..
lower SW Michigan on the lake ..

Nancy

springlakecake Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 2:56pm
post #15 of 65

Ksue-well I graduated from WMU in 99, but I was there a little too long! 6 years icon_redface.gif I had to apply to the occupational therapy program 4 times before I got in. now I'd rather decorate cakes for a living instead. oh well! Anyway I would love to get more business. I will pm you with info if any of your relatives-in-law (or whatever) need cakes. I only have a neighbor friend as a customer now...and she gets them at a WAY discount. She said she feels badly getting the cakes for so cheap. ($15 for 8 inch round) But I told her it was okay as long as she recommended me to others, (and I will charge more!)

artlover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artlover Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 2:56pm
post #16 of 65

Hi,
i am from michigan too and also a new member in this fourm,i am from pittsfield TWP it is between ann arbor and ypsilanti .i too make cakes and sell too, i will be getting my church kichen to work at. i can help with little bit of decorating questions and any other help you need.even though my knowledge is little but i can help with what i know,one thing i am sure i cant help is gumpaste flowers.

HeatherMari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherMari Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 3:02pm
post #17 of 65

Hello All,
I am in Saginaw but I think it would be great if we could all get together! I love to talk about cakes and I think my husband has gone to just nodding and smiling since he's not really into it!
Maybe we could all meet at a halfway point somewhere for lunch and get to know each other and find out what we all want to learn and then figure out what to do from there. Maybe alternate who's house we go to different weeks! I have taken all three Wilton courses and taught them for a little while. I have a few books with different things in them and I have taken a few other classes at a local supply shop here. I am better at hands on things too and I can help with any of the techniques in the three courses. I know a few things that are in the courses too.
Let me know what you all think,
HeatherMari

marniek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marniek Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 3:09pm
post #18 of 65

Hello everyone!!!

This is great to here from everyone in Michigan!! I live in Holland, MI on the west side ( really close to Spring Lake icon_smile.gif Nice to here from some decorators from over here!!!

Welcome to all the Newbies!!

Marnie

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 3:16pm
post #19 of 65

I think getting together would be fun. I'm in Newport - just north of Monroe - but I grew up in the Shelby/Sterling Heights area.

I've only completed Wilton I but I love trying new techniques. I see so much great stuff on CC! Fondant has scared be so far but I'm signing up for a fondant class at a local bakery in October.

Ishie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ishie Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 3:40pm
post #20 of 65

Hey there!
I'm in Oak Park, MI (North of Detroit next to Ferndale).

I don't know a whole lot but I think it would be a load of fun. Plus I have a friend in Madison Hgts. that is interested too!

icon_smile.gif

Ishie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ishie Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 3:40pm
post #21 of 65

Hey there!
I'm in Oak Park, MI (North of Detroit next to Ferndale).

I don't know a whole lot but I think it would be a load of fun. Plus I have a friend in Madison Hgts. that is interested too!

icon_smile.gif

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 4:28pm
post #22 of 65

It sounds like we need a Michigan Cake Club or Clubs.

There's a link to one in the links section of CC, but it does not look like their website has been updated since 2002! They meet in the Ann Arbor area I think.

Something to think about...

good36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
good36 Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 5:22pm
post #23 of 65

marniek
I am from Holland too!
Judy

good36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
good36 Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 5:23pm
post #24 of 65

marniek
I am from Holland too!
Judy

KylesMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KylesMom Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 5:52pm
post #25 of 65

I just came across this thread. I don't know if anyone is still looking for a "cake buddy", but I am. I live downriver, but will happily travel. I am by no means a pro, but am willing to share and help in any way that I can. Would you expect anything less from a fellow CC adict? icon_smile.gif Please feel free to PM me if you are interested.

olberg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olberg Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 6:17pm
post #26 of 65

i am in chelsea, just about 10 miles from ann arbor. i've been looking for a cake club to join around here and have'nt been able to find one yet.

marniek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marniek Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 6:20pm
post #27 of 65

Hey Judy!!

Nice to know there are fellow cake decorators on here from Holland!!!!

Marnie

ShelBell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelBell Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 6:31pm
post #28 of 65

Hey all!!! I am soo glad to see there are quite a few of us in MI!!! I am in Dearborn, only about 15 minutes from downtown Detroit. We should try to start some type of group thing! I would be interested for sure! I too am "self taught", I tried 4 times to sign up for classes, but they always get cancelled! I would love to learn some new things from others, and make a few friends too!

SweetDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreams Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 12:45am
post #29 of 65

Hi everyone,
I was glad to see this post and have so many people interested in some kind of Michigan cake group/club. I am from the Milord area between Novi and Brighton and i would love to get together with others to talk about cakes and share our talents. I have only been decorating for about 1 1/2 years but have learned lots from my mom (who was a decorator for 35 yrs), taking a couple of workshops and trial and error.

Maybe we could set up a date in a central location for who ever is interested in attending in a cake sharing afternoon. My hubby would love the day off from hearing about cakes, lol.

SweetDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreams Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 12:46am
post #30 of 65

Hi everyone,
I was glad to see this post and have so many people interested in some kind of Michigan cake group/club. I am from the Milord area between Novi and Brighton and i would love to get together with others to talk about cakes and share our talents. I have only been decorating for about 1 1/2 years but have learned lots from my mom (who was a decorator for 35 yrs), taking a couple of workshops and trial and error.

Maybe we could set up a date in a central location for who ever is interested in attending in a cake sharing afternoon. My hubby would love the day off from hearing about cakes, lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%