Separating Large Layers For Filling (12" Or Larger)

Decorating By jaxcakelady Updated 15 Oct 2013 , 4:48pm by johnbailey64

jaxcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaxcakelady Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 4:07am
post #1 of 14

I am pretty familiar with how to cut layers for torting, but I'm wondering how you all handle separting the cut layers of larger cakes to put filling in between the layers and then return the cut layer to the filled bottom. I have been using a large, thin cookie sheet (without sides) that I slide between the two cut layers... is there a simpler way for cakes 12" or larger???? How do you do it? icon_confused.gif

13 replies
miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 4:13am
post #2 of 14

I pretty much do the same, only I use cake boards instead of a thin cookie sheet. I also slightly freeze the layers so they are sturdier when moved.

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 4:27am
post #3 of 14

Cake boards! I tried a cookie sheet several times, but I could never get it to slide off. For some reason, I have so much more luck with the cake board. Works every time!!!

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 4:36am
post #4 of 14

I never remember to do it, but I think you are suppose to dust the cake board with powdered sugar to help with the sliding off.

Fascination Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fascination Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 5:22am
post #5 of 14

Everyone I know uses cake boards too; however, I am a non-conformist.

I use place mats, the inexpensive, very thin plastic ones. (I buy them at the dollar store... 2 for $1). Since they are very thin, it makes it very easyo to slide between the layers. Because of the smooth surface, sliding the cake off is also a breeze.
and they are easily cleaned for re-use.
works for me icon_lol.gif

ciao

jaxcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaxcakelady Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 4:08am
post #6 of 14

Thanks everyone for the great ideas!! I actually tried a plastic cake board but the edges grabbed at the cake (it was like corrugate and had a scalloped edge). I suppose I could try the cardboard ones, and use the powder sugar dusting idea - seems so practical!! Also, I like the idea of the thin plastic place mats... I have a couple of those ---- all great ideas! Thanks (and thanks for helping me to realize that I'm not backward about this!!)
thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 4:35am
post #7 of 14

Slightly frozen .... cardboards. It's (as we say in the trade) a "piece of cake!"

( icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Oh my gosh, I just crack me up sometimes!)

((can you tell it's late and I've got some sleep deprivation going on?)) icon_redface.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 5:07am
post #8 of 14

Have any of you ever used a "cake lifter"? I saw one at a restaurant supply store the other day, it was a 9" stainless circle, thin but sturdy: basically like a giant spatula for lifting cakes. It was in someone else's basket @ the checkout so I didn't go back and get one but I have been wondering for days if it might be a worthwhile investment...?

chefcindy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefcindy Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 5:22am
post #9 of 14

Pampered chef has lifter that I want to try... just haven't gotten around to ordering it yet... Alice... did you get one???? icon_biggrin.gif
I usually use cake boards, sometimes I slice them and slide a piece of parchment between the layers and freeze them that way... much easier to handle!!

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 5:22am
post #10 of 14

I just gave mine away! It usually ripped into my cake and one worked for certain size cakes and it was one more thing to wash!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 12:01pm
post #11 of 14

I use a cookie sheet. Works just fine for me. I do line my cake pans with parchment paper, i leave that on the cake until i have the layer in place then i peal it off, I, also, handle the cake when they are cold.

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 5:26am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefcindy

Pampered chef has lifter that I want to try... just haven't gotten around to ordering it yet... Alice... did you get one???? icon_biggrin.gif
I usually use cake boards, sometimes I slice them and slide a piece of parchment between the layers and freeze them that way... much easier to handle!!

Why yes, I just happen to have one! My fav. Pampered Chef lady sold it to me! I do have a wedding cake this weekend with a 12 inch base, but it is square... I don't know if the round cake lifter would be good for that. What I really need is something to separate the layers of a 16 inch square... that was my disaster cake that fell apart icon_cry.gif

swingme83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swingme83 Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 5:36am
post #13 of 14

i use the flexible cutting boards. super thin plastic, comes two to a pack at the christmas tree shop

johnbailey64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnbailey64 Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 4:48pm
post #14 of 14

I use a cookie sheet.  I do have a cakelifter and I use that for getting under a decorated tier for moving it onto another tier or the cake board. I slip it under the cake circle to tilt it up, so I can get fingers under, the use the lifter on the other side. When I get it were I want it, I take my fingers out first, then silde the cake lifter out to place the layer.

I like it! I also like it for scraping icing and powdered sugar and fondant scraps off the counter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%