Gotta Check This Out Wow!!!!!!!!!!!

Decorating By cakesondemand Updated 23 Aug 2006 , 5:00pm by moydear77

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 2:49am
post #1 of 41

www.wonderlandbakery.com/

What a neat place to visit next time Im in Calif I'll have to go there. Now thats my kind of bakery.

P.S. go to the bottom of the page

40 replies
RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 2:59am
post #2 of 41

wowy zowie..

but, look...lic characters!

she calls NEMO ...wonder fish....lol

momof6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof6 Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 3:06am
post #3 of 41

All I can say is..WOW!!!

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 3:07am
post #4 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisqueBusiness

wowy zowie..

Yes, I saw a distinct Curious George, Sponge Bob, Thomas the Tank Engine ... all with different names.

RisqueBusiness Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 3:09am
post #5 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisqueBusiness

wowy zowie..

Yes, I saw a distinct Curious George, Sponge Bob, Thomas the Tank Engine ... all with different names.

But hey! she's got those GREAT commercial accounts....Neiman Marcus...

I"m green! lol icon_lol.gif

slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 3:18am
post #6 of 41

How can they get away with doing the licensed characters but changing the names?

Wonder Kitty is identical to Hello Kitty, and I saw a couple of others as well . . .

Beautiful cookies, though, wish I could get half what they're charging! icon_biggrin.gif

Laura.

kstgelais4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstgelais4 Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 3:34am
post #7 of 41

I want to live there. lol... No but really, the story of the place is quite amazing. They are ingenious really.
Did you see the price of the parties? $75 per kid!!! I need to open a place like this!
Kelly

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 3:39am
post #8 of 41

They have a great site and some really cute cookies and cakes but good grief!!! Some of their cookies are 8.00 each!!! That is a little over the top for a cookie!!

Cindy

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 4:36am
post #9 of 41

She is located on "waterfront" property where she is sitting between Newport Beach to the West and Corona Del Mar to the South. Some pretty exclusive neighborhoods there and smack dab in the middle of the "World of Disney". Can't figure out how she gets away with the licensed characters either. icon_cool.gif

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 4:49am
post #10 of 41

Wow ... their cookies and other treats look yummy!!! I'm also curious how they get away with selling licensed character cakes!!!!! icon_confused.gificon_rolleyes.gif

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 4:57am
post #11 of 41

Probably because she's not TECHNICALLY selling licensed character cakes. If you look closely, the images are only similar - not exact. If she does them freehand, and makes them look just enough like them without being exactly like them - she's found her loophole!

ninaross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninaross Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 5:14am
post #12 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy6250

They have a great site and some really cute cookies and cakes but good grief!!! Some of their cookies are 8.00 each!!! That is a little over the top for a cookie!!

Cindy

dam i think i might learn how to make cookies. we have cookies by design and another one and yes each cookie is 7.00 or 8.00 each so thats a good price since everything is expensive in california

cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 11:24am
post #13 of 41

I am in awe of that shop! Did you see what the store itself looked like? Gorgeous, a fairytale come true. There has been some serious money put into that place!
Their stuff looks really yummy and if they can get $8.00 for a cookie, more power to them!!

cindy

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 11:37am
post #14 of 41

The storefront is amazing-no wonder they do so much business! It's the "wonderland" that pulls people of all ages in. I would go in...but I wouldn't spend $8 on a cookie!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 11:40am
post #15 of 41

What a great place! Come on everyone... we can do that!!
As far as HOW she can get away with it....
I used to do craft shows (painting) and Disney closed me down one show because I was doing Ninja Turtles ornaments, etc. After close inspection and a lot of wasted time, I was allowed to sell them again since I freehand drew them, cut them out, painted them, and never 'named' them. Conclusion....even 'registered' items have loopholes. But be very careful with the big name companies. You never know!

kicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kicky Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 11:52am
post #16 of 41

Wow they look great, They are all amazing wish i was that good.

RisqueBusiness Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 1:42pm
post #17 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightsByE

Probably because she's not TECHNICALLY selling licensed character cakes. If you look closely, the images are only similar - not exact. If she does them freehand, and makes them look just enough like them without being exactly like them - she's found her loophole!

Nah..there is no loophole...a red Barney that is still recognizable as Barney is still breaking the copywrite law.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuut, man.....I would trade places with her in LESS than a heartbeat!

This just PROVES what I've always thought that you have to find a "gimmick" and sell the sizzle!.

No matter what she is doing...her marketing IS genius!!! and if I remember correctly...she's only 21? wowzer!!!

The ONLY thing I had on MY mind when I was 21 was BOYS and MORE boys..lol

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 2:48pm
post #18 of 41

the store looks like a kids dream come true-wow

toristreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toristreats Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 2:56pm
post #19 of 41

I would have to wonder if maybe she got permission from the companies to do those cakes. From what I understand most commercial bakeries try to do that.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 3:04pm
post #20 of 41

That could be why her prices are so high-she's paying royalties out the wazoo....or she's trying to make enough money that she'll be able to pay the fines! Disney and Curious George vigoriously defend their brands. I was just reading about this not long ago.

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 3:07pm
post #21 of 41

I also thought that you could sell them as long as you had permission from the company. There's no telling what she is paying in order to do that. If I sold baked goods for that price in my "neck of the woods" they'd mold before I sold them! icon_twisted.gif

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 3:11pm
post #22 of 41

WOW! THey have quite a story - named best chef at 17???? I wonder what business mom was in before they opened the bakery - looks like she was in some mega marketing! I mean private labels & corporate accounts, and a highly decorated and engineered store? (choo choo brings you cookies - choc. dipping fountains?) My biggest question is where did they get the money to do this?! How exciting for a young person to basically own thier own business like this and be so successful. She must truly have some talent! And she must have gone to culinary schoolat 17 or something....still trying to figure that out......

Sugar sprinkles to them for accomplishing QUITE the bakery & best wishes for future success!

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 3:11pm
post #23 of 41

I loved the store....just fantastic...
The baked goods were cute....

slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 3:12pm
post #24 of 41

If she had permission, wouldn't she be calling them by their right names?

I can't imagine a company would grant permission to do their licensed characters but allow the bakery to use different names for them . . .

Laura.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 3:13pm
post #25 of 41

location, location, location...

And an incredible marketing strategy - WOW! They are going to be in big business for a long time in that location, no doubt. I do an entire B-day party for one of my 4 for $75 but when you live in a place where the houses cost $7.5 mil - I think $75 a head is a drop in the bucket!

All those incredible designs... I will be refering to that page as ideas... I guess she can't complain since I will be doing things that look 'similar' but not the same as her stuff icon_lol.gif

Yeah, I know..... now I'm being catty! It's weird though.... if she were paying the licensing fees, she wouldn't be using generic names so she must be getting around it somehow. And that close to Disneyland, I would imagine it would not take long for someone to run and tattle!

ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 3:16pm
post #26 of 41

So I noticed on their story page that in the future they want to branch out and open more stores......OK.....who wants to be first?

mrsdawnwhite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsdawnwhite Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 3:18pm
post #27 of 41

That kind of talent is amazing at any age. What a wonderful website.. Wish I were that good!

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 3:24pm
post #28 of 41

$45.00 for a dozen cupcakes with plain icing??? I couldn't even say that price to a customer and keep a straight face!

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 3:34pm
post #29 of 41

I looked at the site and agree with the permission and the name statements. The princess in her logo, I believe, is her own face. She's a pretty girl!

(not to sound negative) Her site reels you in as far as design, enchanting, beautiful, ect. BUT, if you look closely at the quality of her work, I'm not too impressed ( icon_surprised.gif sorry - don't hurt me!). The sides of the cakes aren't smooth and the designs aren't real neat. They are definitley cute, colorful, and fun! I worried that I wasn't good enough to open a store, but if she can do it, so can I (except, of course, I don't have the funds to do so icon_lol.gif ).

toristreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toristreats Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 3:36pm
post #30 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by slejdick

If she had permission, wouldn't she be calling them by their right names?

I can't imagine a company would grant permission to do their licensed characters but allow the bakery to use different names for them . . .

Laura.

I can see that, but I still wonder if she has just named them those because it is the "wonder"land bakery and so everything is wonder... I don't know, I guess I try to look for the best in everyone. I noticed that one of her cakes had a Hello Kitty figurine on it. I'm not sure how a commercial bakery could get away with something like that without permission...not to mention all those corporate logos, etc. I just can't see her getting away with that unless she had permission.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%