Could You, Would You Show Your First Cake?

Decorating By katharry Updated 10 Sep 2006 , 1:35pm by mommabuda

katharry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharry Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 72

Inspired by Edibleart's post on how we all started on this addiction.... I was wondering who out there is brave enough or proud enough (whatever the case may be) to show their first cake.....

It would be great for us Newbies to see how far some of you have come over time.

Here is mine, I was given three days notice by my SIL for her daughters christening. I'd never even seen fondant before or made a tiered cake. I look at my lumpy fondant now with horror, but I was so proud at the time! But only a few weeks later I took what I had learnt from my mistakes and made another....

This cake set me on this path to the most rewarding, addictive & frustrating hobby I have ever had! And it made me find you guys thumbs_up.gif
LL

71 replies
darlene_000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darlene_000 Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 72

Ummm my first cake was made yesterday--- so I uhhh haven't improved any yet LOL.... but will practice again next weekend.

Nyma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nyma Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 72

I'll post mine as soon as I develope mi pictures icon_eek.gif YES!! I still have one of those cameras!! icon_lol.gif jajajaj!!! I know I should get a digital one icon_rolleyes.gif I wasn't brave enought to work with fondant the first time! I went with a fruit toping.

Congratulations girls! Let's see if at least my second one looks closer to one of those pretty cakes! jaja! thumbs_up.gif You guys did great!

BeckySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeckySue Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 9:32pm
post #4 of 72

I couldn't find my FIRST cake, but I did find my cake from the final session of the Wilton 2 class.... LOL You should have seen the mess the basketweave was on the back of this cake.

Katharry - beautiful first cake! I agree, cake making is the best of times and the worst of times...but so rewarding!

Darlene - great job! You are going to be very successful.
LL

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 9:38pm
post #5 of 72

Darlene 000, your first cake looks pretty nice to me!!!

Here is my first cake, never took classes and had been looking at this site when I made this cake; trying to hide the fact that my family had eaten it already, didn't do a good job of hiding it!!! Used a fondant recipe that I found on another site; the fondant tastes GREAT!!!
LL

mycakesandmore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mycakesandmore Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 72

My first cake was 7 years ago next month... My oldest son (then only child) was turning 2 years old and he wanted a "Larry Boy" cake (from the "Veggie Tales" series. I had grown up watching my mom decorate cakes and she did his first birthday cake... but she now lived too far away to do his second. So I jumped right in and did this... I was SO proud of it!

cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 9:46pm
post #7 of 72

Sorry can't show you my first cake picture - made 20 years ago. I happened to be pregnant with my first - in fact unknown at the time I was in first stages of labor when I baked and decorated an easter cake. Did finish the cake - but ended up going to hospital and 3:00 am Easter morning delivered a girl. No pictures of cake - hubby fed it to the family LOL.

But that nesting syndrome - sure set in and I've had the cake bug ever since. First big cake was my grandparents 50th anniversary cake. I'll get a pic of it in my photos soon.

Don't worry Nyma - I still don't have a digital. Now I'm going through 20 years of photo trying to scan all into files. icon_razz.gif

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 9:53pm
post #8 of 72

Wow, those are some really beautiful first cakes! Mine is here in my photos...okay, it's my 2nd cake, but first I have a picture of...I just made it last weekend for my son's first birthday.

danifani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danifani Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 10:07pm
post #9 of 72

Here is a picture of my first cake ever. I borrowed most of the tips and bags from my SIL. I did it for my Niece's first child. I liked it so much I wanted to take a class afterwards. I have taken wilton I and I'm waiting until fall to take wilton II. Its funny because my first cake is better than some of my most recent.
LL

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 10:27pm
post #10 of 72

here is a picture of my very first cake done in april of 05, it had drop flowers basketweave ( or an attempted try ) clouds and no, that was not spice frosting, it was just a very, very bad frosting job!!
LL

NeeNee30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NeeNee30 Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 10:45pm
post #11 of 72

I would love to post my 1st cake, ha ha, but it (and about 20 other of my cakes) were taken with my film camera, and I have yet to get them scanned onto a disk so that I can upload them here. But imagine if you will, the Wilton Scooby-Do cake pan. Covered in piped on stars.

Kate714 Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 10:50pm
post #12 of 72

for those of you who've improved immensely since that first cake....how useful were the Wilton classes, if you took them?? I really want to take them, but they are only offered on weeknights, and that's when I work icon_cry.gif Can anyone recommend a book or website that will teach me everything I need to know?!? I have learned a ton here, but I'm always looking for more.

thanks!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 10:51pm
post #13 of 72
TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 11:11pm
post #14 of 72

kate i think that the wilton classes offered were pretty good i always looked forward to going to them .. if i was in your shoes and wasnt able to take the classes i would definately buy the course books and do them at your own pace .. i had the course books before i took the classes and as you can tell my very first cake was pretty horrible .. but after reading the course books, my next cake was my parents 35th anniversary cake that is in my photos so from my first cake to my second cake i would have to say the books were awesome!!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 11:37pm
post #15 of 72

I don't have any pics of my first cakes, they were done when I was about 10. icon_lol.gif The first one I made icing for was a complete disaster. My mom never used a recipe but I knew what went in it and added too much milk and didn't have any more powdered sugar, it was a surprise for her birthday since my dad wasn't around (in the field or TDY).

franjmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
franjmc Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 11:48pm
post #16 of 72

I also don't have photos of my "first" cake, because I was about 8 or 9 when I started to bake and decorate, but I have a photo of my first fondant cake.

I made this for my daughter's 5th birthday, which was nearly 4 years ago, it is a Debbie Brown design, and I was so proud of it when I made it and now I look at it and see how amateur it is.

I'm please I have improved over the years.
LL

Kate714 Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 12:41am
post #17 of 72

wow, you really make the rest of us look bad, if that's a bad first fondant cake! that is great!

and thanks for the info on the Wilton books. good to know.

Momof3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof3boys Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 2:28am
post #18 of 72

I guess my first cake was an attempt at a 3D Wiggles Big Red Car back in 2002? I had no idea what I was doing but everyone loved it. (even though most had no idea who The Wiggles were back then!)
I'll try and attach a pic.
LL

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 3:09am
post #19 of 72

My first "official" cake was a character cake too. The roof got smashed by the cake carrier, so I leveled the whole top section so it wouldn't look so obvious I messed up icon_smile.gif
LL

nanettedelong Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanettedelong Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 3:26am
post #20 of 72

I did this cake on after my 1st week of Wilton classes for my sister's baby shower. It was based on a design I found in a 1993 Wilton yearbook. This was my first cake, first tiered cake, first time making buttercream, first everything!! I was as happy as I guess I could be, but felt like my icing was too thick. Also, I learned quickly a little bit of color goes a very long way and colors get darker as the dry! icon_smile.gif It actually came out a little darker than I would have hoped for. Oh well, as I have heard many of you say, you are your own worst critic. Everyone else loved it and the cake was absolutely devoured.

queenamy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenamy Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 6:23am
post #21 of 72

First cake.. ok!! here it goes
LL

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 6:56am
post #22 of 72

Hey for kate 714 I went to the library and checked out the videos wilton ahd and they were helpful to see how to do some of the steps. I have taken course 1 and 2 and am doing 2 again while waiting to get enough people for 3. So decided to practice on my own when I went to the library and found them I hope that helps you. I did my first real decorated cake for my son about 10 yrs ago and don't have a pic. But here is my first course 1 pic

katharry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharry Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 7:15am
post #23 of 72

Oh my goodness these are first cakes icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif ????

They are all so good!!!

I'm about to attempt my first cake outside my family & really close friends (you know the people who will always love anything you serve up!)

You guys are obviously naturally talented! thumbs_up.gif

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 11:16am
post #24 of 72

This truly is my first cake.
LL

Kate714 Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 2:22pm
post #25 of 72

KayChristensen,

Thanks for the info about the library...never thought of that! I am there often with my kids so I will check it out.

thanks,
Kate

immortalove88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
immortalove88 Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 2:33pm
post #26 of 72

this is mine I took the wilton classes backwards so I still have not taken course I yet.when I was making it I cried because the icing was not smooth and I thought everyone would laugh,but I think it turned out ok after I made it and felt that feeling of making something almost beautiful I decided to go to pastry school and do it for a living.oh and get a job at a bakery. icon_biggrin.gif
LL

gabbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbs Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 2:39pm
post #27 of 72

these is my first fondant cake, i was pretty proud of it, now i know i could've done better icon_razz.gif
LL

sarzoemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarzoemom Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 3:23pm
post #28 of 72

This one was for my first daughter's first birthday 4 years ago. It was the first time I used a piping bag.
LL

ShellBell69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShellBell69 Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 3:53pm
post #29 of 72

I have made a bunch of cakes through the years but none with proper icing or anything. I made my first real cake this weekend. I don't think it's so bad for a first cake.
LL

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 5:36pm
post #30 of 72

Just regular ol' cake with belgian chocolate shells. Everybody thought it was great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%